What's new

Austin Speaker Shoot out :) (1 Viewer)

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Nope. Who are those guys? I don't know anyone on the Austin-based sublist, except for Tubes. I guess they've never seen our Austin threads on the National and Local HTF Meets area, huh? Looks like a couple of manufacturers are involved in this event.

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter
I have tried to tell them that, and whether they wanted to get this group 40+ people informed but the head organizer folks showed no interest.

I have even offered to host a breakfast for them over here for the out of towners with a tube integrated shoot-out and the interest is non-existent. Basically the event and the attendees are really only interested in internet-direct companies, and its going to evolve primarily into a promo opportunity for those companies only - primarily AV123.

I will still probably go just to meet new folks. But anyone else interested, be prepared for Onix and Rocket talk anytime and all the time.

Jacob Aaron

Stunt Coordinator
and Sherwood Newcastle talk....

Which isn't a bad thing. Now if they could get Gary to bring the DIY plasma he made with the new Sherwood Newcastle DVD player that comes out in January I might go to it.

I'm shocked that these companies are even involved when they aren't seriously considering showing the products off to a number of people. Most the posters don't even live in Austin....

Its kinda wierd.

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter
Ha, imagine that one of the guys that got the ball rolling on this meet and had a 20 page thread going on this big speaker shootout he did where Rockets came out on top, just now announced he has officially entered a business relationship with AV123. That is really not cool in my book.

Nils, I saw his reply and Victor and I have exchanged several emails with him, actually he plays poker and I am trying to get him involved with our group. I had also told them I could spread the word to you guys but when that was met with what basically amounts to a "Whatever," and as the event kept unfolding it became more and more apparent that this is just meant for internet-direct speakers only. Then, I just won't promote an event where those who stand to gain the most are companies that have shamelessly done the above for years.

Of course everyone is invited, but I just decided to just let things happen, and figured those of this group that were interested would eventually run across the thread.

mike_frontier

Supporting Actor
Scott, Wow great catch. I just read that last page on that topic and notice a business deal just went to work. For gods sake. It's funny how that discussion/topic just got "LOCKED/CLOSED" by the admin. Great work by the Admin BTW.

---------------------

-Also I just wanted to say sorry, but the link I provided above was the only link I checked out, but after finding the original link: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...&pagenumber=21 , I probably would have never posted this on here. So I do apologize for that.

-Mike

Jacob Aaron

Stunt Coordinator
Nils- I think the problem lies in the fact that the negotiating for "Rocket Canada," was in the works for a good while during the thread.

We've discussed this before on the phone, but this is just a good example of why people should question the internet's "reviews," and "information," on a forum. I'm as tainted as all get out, and I let people know I sell AV equipment.

I'm a firm believer in one philosophy in music & movies:

YOUR OPINION MATTERS MOST

Everyone should be wary of all opinions but their own. Going to these places for information about product build quality and reputation for fixing problems is one thing, but looking for honest advice is harder and harder to find.

Which isn't to say this chap wasn't being honest. I'm honest about the lines I carry and the ones I don't. However its all based on my skewed view of things. People's own opinions matter more.

Which is one reason I scratch my head at internet AV sales. Demoing equipment is possible with local dealers without having to pay for "shipping," when you return an item. There is far more simplicity in dealing locally.

However again, thats just my opinion.

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
I believe the thread should have remained closed, as people, especially newbies, could get the wrong impression by skimming over the entire thread. My 2 Hz. Not a huge problem.

Jacob Aaron

Stunt Coordinator
Well it was re-closed.

The problem is that the basic information was chart/graph listening experience described by someone involved with the company.

Then you get long winded posts defending the person in the "meet thread," which boggles my mind.

This is all because two guys in different parts of the US decided to meet halfway in Austin for "blind testing," and has grown into something strange. They are staying at the ARBOR where they will need a rental car/taxi to just hit 6th street or experience downtown at all.

I'm shocked that so many companies are trying to "help out," with this process. I'm all for a real blind test with INTERNET ONLY speakers, but shouldn't there be something like Paradigm, PSB, Anthony Gallo, Linn, Dynaudio, etc. brands to compare?

Seems silly to me to have internet only... because isn't their big claim the money you save for quality?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks