What's new

Audioslave = AC/DC?? (1 Viewer)

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Okay, I joked a bit about this when the bootleg MP3s first hit the net back when they were still Civilian- but now that I've heard the main single and a second track a few radio stations are playing-- it seems rediculous.
Chris Cornell's vocal delivery sounds EXACTLY like Brian Johnson from AC/DC. In fact- yesterday a AC/DC song came on the radio when I was driving around- and I joked with my friend: "Look it's audioslave". It turned out it was Audioslave!
Does anyone else hear this, or am I insane?
-Vince

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
I agree totally. The dry mix on his vocals, along with his raspy delivery, Brian Johnson was the exact guy who popped into my head. Your not crazy, I thought I was.

MichaelGH

Stunt Coordinator
Interesting. When I first saw the video for the audioslave song, the only thing I thought was that the lead singer sounded amazingly like the Cult.

Fraid I'm not a big AC/DC fan, however, so I can't compare them.

Michael

Paul Case

Supporting Actor
I think you are a little crazy. ;) When I hear the Audioslave tracks I don't think of anybody except Cornell, despite the fact that his vocal ability seems to have deteriorated quite a bit.

Mark Palermo

Second Unit
Actually if you listen to "New Damage" on Badmotorfinger, Cornell sounds a lot like he does in many Audioslave songs. I only detect the screechy AC/DC thing on "Cochise" and "Exploder." He can still sing like "Black Hole Sun" when he needs to. As for the album, I think it's awesome! It makes me feel like I'm seventeen again, when I was the biggest Soundgarden junkie on Earth.

Mark

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
Well, I will say that:
Audioslave = completely derivative and repetitive, seemingly with no redeeming qualities whatsoever
But that's just me. :)
Martin.

Paul Case

Supporting Actor
Well, the Audioslave record is pretty mediocre in my opinion. It sounds pretty much just like what it is: Rage Against the Machine fronted by Chris Cornell. I hated the album the first time I heard it, but some of the tracks have grown on me quite a bit over the last couple of weeks. Still, I think the album is ultimately a waste of time. Cornell just needs to get back with his old Soundgarden buddies, and Rage...well...Rage just needs to stop. :D

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Aw heck no! Matt C was integral to Soundgarden! (like Bonham was to Zeppelin)
Pearl Jam can seemingly survive with the Spinal Tap Exploding Drummer Syndrome. If Soundgarden were ever to reform, Matt Cameron would HAVE to be a part of it! :)

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Sounds like Chris Cornell to me. I think it's great to hear another wailing singer instead of all the Vedder clones and rappers out there.
As for the album, I think it totally kicks ass! You're right in that it sounds like Rage with Cornell on vocals. But that's exactly what I was hoping for. :D

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
I don't necessarily have a problem with the record or the band-- but when I first heard that "may all your wishes turn to gold" chorus on the bootleg civilian tracks- it reminded me of AC/DC immediately.
The only downfall is really how much Tom from rage just sort of redoes himself. Granted, he has a very distinct style- but I could sit here and and go "badda-do-dah-do-gee-do-boo-bah" and basically make up rage-ish riffs all day long. ;)
But seriously, I think if you can't hear the way Cornell's voice shreds in upper registers- it is really uncanny. I'd love to hear them cover MONEY TALKS just to see what happens.
-V

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Well I've only heard the first two songs, and coming from a huge Soundgarden fan I'll agree: AC/DC sounding vocals at least on the two I've heard.

Sounds like he needs to lay off smoking.

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
The only downfall is really how much Tom from rage just sort of redoes himself. Granted, he has a very distinct style- but I could sit here and and go "badda-do-dah-do-gee-do-boo-bah" and basically make up rage-ish riffs all day long.
Vince,

I've been saying this about Morello for quite some time. You listen to the 1st Rage album, and there is some serious guitar playing going on without the gimmicks. Now all he wants to do his tap the plug on his pickup and put the guitar by his wireless receiver. It has become quite tiresome.

-Dean-

Jeff Reis

Stunt Coordinator
I've actually been kind of surprised how much I'm digging the Audioslave album. It sounds more organic than I thought it would...it doesn't entirely sound like Cornell's vocals grafted onto Rage songs to me...they sound like a real band. And "Show Me How To Live" is a friggin' monster track that is worth the purchase of the record alone for me.

Jarrod_L

Stunt Coordinator
I've barely given it a spin & a half so far, but from what I've heard, it's okay.
My wife asked how it was & I said "Cornell w/ Rage", in fact, I think that's what they should have called the band. ;)

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
I am not sure about the Brian Johnson comparison :) but the record does have some good tracks.
Not many that stand out, but I do like SHOW ME HOW TO LIVE and LIKE A STONE.
Still cannot get passed the fact how "separate" Cornell sounds backed by Rage ... it's almost like hearing the two bands in a weird tripy mix.
Both Cornell's voice and Rage's sound are so recognizable separately that the mix of the two are still hard to get used to.
The Rick Rubin production does do it justice though ...
Here is hoping he produces the next SLAYER record.

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
I picked up this CD yesterday and listened to it once. I really like it and I don't see where the Brian Johnson comparison is coming from. I'm a big Soundgarden fan and it sounds like Cornell to me. Listen to Louder Than Love or BadMotorFinger and you'll hear the similarity. It sounds like vintage Soundgarden to me and I'm loving it!

Mark Palermo

Second Unit
I just want to reiterate that this CD rules.

The scorched-earth imagery in Cornell's lyrics is on par with what he was writing on Soundgarden's last 2 albums. My favorite songs are "The Last Remaining Light," "Hypnotize," "Exploder," and "Like a Stone."

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks