Audioslave = AC/DC??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Vince Maskeeper, Nov 19, 2002.

1. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Okay, I joked a bit about this when the bootleg MP3s first hit the net back when they were still Civilian- but now that I've heard the main single and a second track a few radio stations are playing-- it seems rediculous.
    Chris Cornell's vocal delivery sounds EXACTLY like Brian Johnson from AC/DC. In fact- yesterday a AC/DC song came on the radio when I was driving around- and I joked with my friend: "Look it's audioslave". It turned out it was Audioslave!
    Does anyone else hear this, or am I insane?
    -Vince

2. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    I agree totally. The dry mix on his vocals, along with his raspy delivery, Brian Johnson was the exact guy who popped into my head. Your not crazy, I thought I was.

3. MichaelGH

MichaelGH Stunt Coordinator

Interesting. When I first saw the video for the audioslave song, the only thing I thought was that the lead singer sounded amazingly like the Cult.

Fraid I'm not a big AC/DC fan, however, so I can't compare them.

Michael

4. Paul Case

Paul Case Supporting Actor

I think you are a little crazy. [​IMG] When I hear the Audioslave tracks I don't think of anybody except Cornell, despite the fact that his vocal ability seems to have deteriorated quite a bit.

5. Mark Palermo

Mark Palermo Second Unit

Actually if you listen to "New Damage" on Badmotorfinger, Cornell sounds a lot like he does in many Audioslave songs. I only detect the screechy AC/DC thing on "Cochise" and "Exploder." He can still sing like "Black Hole Sun" when he needs to. As for the album, I think it's awesome! It makes me feel like I'm seventeen again, when I was the biggest Soundgarden junkie on Earth.

Mark

6. Martin Rendall

Martin Rendall Screenwriter

Well, I will say that:
    Audioslave = completely derivative and repetitive, seemingly with no redeeming qualities whatsoever
    But that's just me. [​IMG]
    Martin.

7. Paul Case

Paul Case Supporting Actor

Well, the Audioslave record is pretty mediocre in my opinion. It sounds pretty much just like what it is: Rage Against the Machine fronted by Chris Cornell. I hated the album the first time I heard it, but some of the tracks have grown on me quite a bit over the last couple of weeks. Still, I think the album is ultimately a waste of time. Cornell just needs to get back with his old Soundgarden buddies, and Rage...well...Rage just needs to stop. [​IMG]

8. Todd_B

Todd_B Second Unit

9. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Aw heck no! Matt C was integral to Soundgarden! (like Bonham was to Zeppelin)
    Pearl Jam can seemingly survive with the Spinal Tap Exploding Drummer Syndrome. If Soundgarden were ever to reform, Matt Cameron would HAVE to be a part of it! [​IMG]

10. JohnE

JohnE Supporting Actor

Huh!? I'm not really hearing that at all!

11. Todd H

Todd H Go Dawgs!

Todd
    Sounds like Chris Cornell to me. I think it's great to hear another wailing singer instead of all the Vedder clones and rappers out there.
    As for the album, I think it totally kicks ass! You're right in that it sounds like Rage with Cornell on vocals. But that's exactly what I was hoping for. [​IMG]

12. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

I don't necessarily have a problem with the record or the band-- but when I first heard that "may all your wishes turn to gold" chorus on the bootleg civilian tracks- it reminded me of AC/DC immediately.
    The only downfall is really how much Tom from rage just sort of redoes himself. Granted, he has a very distinct style- but I could sit here and and go "badda-do-dah-do-gee-do-boo-bah" and basically make up rage-ish riffs all day long. [​IMG]
    But seriously, I think if you can't hear the way Cornell's voice shreds in upper registers- it is really uncanny. I'd love to hear them cover MONEY TALKS just to see what happens.
    -V

13. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Well I've only heard the first two songs, and coming from a huge Soundgarden fan I'll agree: AC/DC sounding vocals at least on the two I've heard.

Sounds like he needs to lay off smoking.

14. Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass Screenwriter

15. Jeff Reis

Jeff Reis Stunt Coordinator

I've actually been kind of surprised how much I'm digging the Audioslave album. It sounds more organic than I thought it would...it doesn't entirely sound like Cornell's vocals grafted onto Rage songs to me...they sound like a real band. And "Show Me How To Live" is a friggin' monster track that is worth the purchase of the record alone for me.

16. Jarrod_L

Jarrod_L Stunt Coordinator

I've barely given it a spin & a half so far, but from what I've heard, it's okay.
    My wife asked how it was & I said "Cornell w/ Rage", in fact, I think that's what they should have called the band. [​IMG]

17. Aurel Savin

Aurel Savin Supporting Actor

I am not sure about the Brian Johnson comparison [​IMG] but the record does have some good tracks.
    Not many that stand out, but I do like SHOW ME HOW TO LIVE and LIKE A STONE.
    Still cannot get passed the fact how "separate" Cornell sounds backed by Rage ... it's almost like hearing the two bands in a weird tripy mix.
    Both Cornell's voice and Rage's sound are so recognizable separately that the mix of the two are still hard to get used to.
    The Rick Rubin production does do it justice though ...
    Here is hoping he produces the next SLAYER record.

18. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

I picked up this CD yesterday and listened to it once. I really like it and I don't see where the Brian Johnson comparison is coming from. I'm a big Soundgarden fan and it sounds like Cornell to me. Listen to Louder Than Love or BadMotorFinger and you'll hear the similarity. It sounds like vintage Soundgarden to me and I'm loving it!

19. Mark Palermo

Mark Palermo Second Unit

I just want to reiterate that this CD rules.

The scorched-earth imagery in Cornell's lyrics is on par with what he was writing on Soundgarden's last 2 albums. My favorite songs are "The Last Remaining Light," "Hypnotize," "Exploder," and "Like a Stone."

Mark

20. Stephen L

Stephen L Second Unit

"Cochise" sounds alot like it is being sung by Brian
    johnson.