What's new

Audioslave = AC/DC?? (1 Viewer)

Doug Miller

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug Miller
A big part of me prefers the demo... maybed because I've been listening to it since early this year, but I think moreso because Cornell was singing lower on some songs than in the demo (where I thought it sounded better screechier)

Speaking of Matt Cameron, him with Pearl Jam is a waste of talent. I really enjoyed seeing his band Wellwater Conspiracy -- the album doesn't even touch seeing them live. They rocked!

Doug

Jeff

Supporting Actor
Yup, I hear the AC/DC too. I was commenting on this to a friend of mine the other day. I haven't heard the whole album but so far I'm not impressed with it at all.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, Cornell doesn't sound like Johnson on every track (there's actually a few "soulful Cornell" songs in the album...none like Sunshower though :frowning: ) but Cochise and one or two others sounds like Johnson all the way (this coming from another huge SG fan).

Rage & I never really got to know each other, but I am a big follower of SoundGarden. Didn't care for the solo Cornell disc at all. I loved the Cochise tune on the radio, but so far thru 4 plays, this Audioslave album just doesn't have much for tunes that rock out.

I think it sounds more like the Cult from 1994, an album I do enjoy. The only similarity I hear with Ac/Dc is that I disliked Stiff Upper Lip! I hate it when my favorite bands get old on me!

For reference, my favorite disc of recent purchase was P.O.D.'s Satellite.

Greg O' Connel

Stunt Coordinator
I can't speak for the rest of the album, but I don't see how anyone who is familiar with AC/DC can say that Cornell's singing on "Cochise" doesn't sound EXACTLY like Brian Johnson. I didn't think it was possible for two people to sing so much alike, down to the smallest vocal detail.

Rich Romero

Supporting Actor
The Chris Cornell solo album was amazing. Why can't anyone appreciate music that doesn't have to rock every 10 seconds? Audioslave is a great pairing and this debut is very promising. :emoji_thumbsup:

Paul Case

Supporting Actor
I love music that doesn't have to rock every 10 seconds. In fact, I love a lot of music that never even comes close to rocking at all. However, I do require good songwriting, which was the lacking element that really killed Euphoria Morning for me. I expected better from Chris Cornell. Still, I would have rather gotten another solo album from Cornell than this Audioslave project. I thought Euphoria Morning would always be the low point of Cornell's career. Unfortunately, he proved me wrong.
Oh well, maybe Cornell will leave Audioslave and they will stay broken up this time. :emoji_thumbsup: :D

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
I can't speak for the rest of the album, but I don't see how anyone who is familiar with AC/DC can say that Cornell's singing on "Cochise" doesn't sound EXACTLY like Brian Johnson
I grew up in the peak of AC/DC's popularity (graduated from high school in '83) and have listened to TONS of AC/DC. I think that means that I'm very familiar with Brian Johnson's voice. I can pick it out instantly on the radio. I've listened to the Audioslave CD about 5 times now and I still don't see the comparison. It sounds like Cornell to me. Brian Johnson has a very distinct voice and I don't think that anyone sounds like him.

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
I picked this up over the weekend. I've listened to it about 5 or 6 times and I do not hear anything in Cornell's voice that sounds like Brian Johnson. Thank God there is nothing on here that sounds like AC/DC. However, there are about 4 or 5 songs that should have never been put on the album. I am actually going to make my own CD to remove the songs that just sound plain bad. Tracks 13 and 14 are both an abortion to music, IMHO of course.

The other 9 or 10 songs are really good though. Glad to see that Morello toned down on the gimmicky playing. What really drives this album is Tim-bob's bass playing. He is awesome as usual.

-Dean-

AlexGoodman

Agent
I have to agree that, on Cochise at least, Cornell sounds like Brian Johnson. I am a big AC/DC and Soundgarden fan as well.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Okay I've given the disc a listen about 4-5 times, at work and in the car. Thus I don't know the track titles (or numbers, I usually play it "random") but I will agree with the assessment that there are a few good songs, a few mediocre songs, and a few bad songs on this album. I got it for $9.99 so I'm not feeling ripped off, but I definitely would have regretted a full price purchase ($17.99).

Rich Chiavaroli

Stunt Coordinator
Both Cornell's voice and Rage's sound are so recognizable separately that the mix of the two are still hard to get used to.
Being kinda out of touch with music for the last couple years.. I didn't even know Cornell got together with Rage. Anyway I was driving and heard Cochise come on the radio. At first I thought it was a Rage song I hadden't heard before. When the vocals kicked in, it sounded a lot like Cornell. So my initial thoughts without knowing who it was, was that it was some band that had huge Soundgarden/Rage influences. Now THAT made me feel really old. I felt a lot better when I realised it was Rage and Cornell :).
About the ACDC sound.. I just don't hear it. One of my best friends growing up was a huge ACDC fan and that was about all I ever heard at his house. The band we put together in High School played some ACDC too.. but we could never find anyone who could sing it. Well, sing it and then sing anything else after. My friend even bought a Gibson SG '62 Re-issue and named it "Rosie".
So from someone who listend to the music quite a bit, I just don't see the comparisons.
I've always been a big Chris Cornell fan, and I guess this gives a lot of fans their fill. But Audioslave still doesn't come close to Soundgarden. It may not be fair to judge them this way, but with Cornell on the vocals, I'll always compare them to Soundgarden, and they'll always fall short.

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
Comparing Chris Cornell's similarity to Brian Johnson (with the possible exception of 'Cochise') is ludicrous. Cornell is the best singer in rock, with range far greater than Johnson could even dream about. Brian Johnson wishes he could sing 'I Am The Highway' or 'Getaway Car.' As for the album itself, it ain't Soundgarden or Rage, but it rocks, and it blows the doors off of anything out there.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
AGAIN!

No one here is saying Chris Cornell sounds like Brian Johnson all the time. Read the posts above, in a couple of songs (Cochise comes to mind) quite a few people have commented that ON THAT SONG he sounds like Brian Johnson. Just like on his song "Say Goodbye" (from Euphoria Morning) he kind of tried to sound like Jeff Buckley - fitting since I believe the song was about him.

I have to go back and listen to the Audioslave album again but I think there's another song or two where he (and the band) tried to emulate another group, but it's slipping my mind right now.

Look, I'm a huge SG & CC fan. I think he has the best vocals in rock/hard rock music. But even I think that on Cochise he sounds (and now that I hear that song, especially w/ the drum intro that sounds like something from Thunderstruck) I think he sounds like Johnson. The more I think about it, the more I think Cochise (at least music wise) might be a tribute to AC/DC.

Dan B

Screenwriter
Just a heads-up...while flipping through the channels this weekend, I caught the last half of an Audioslave concert on MTV 2. It was played above the Late Night With David Letterman show & was a half hour long. Chris Cornell's voice sounded as good as it has in a while, I thought. Here's some information from RockOnTV.com:
MTV2 takes to the rooftop to present "Audioslave: Live on Broadway". Straight from atop of the marquee at the "Late Show with David Letterman," MTV2 goes behind-the-scenes to present exclusive footage as former Soundgarden singer Chris Cornell and ex-Rage Against the Machine members Tom Morello, Tim Commerford and Brad Wilk take to the stage as Audioslave. Throughout the half-hour special, MTV2 will catch-up with the band as they rehearse, prepare for their appearance, and perform new material.
Click here for airtimes of this show at RockOnTV.

StevenW

Second Unit
I absolutely LOVE this CD and every track on it. Its awesome to finally hear some good new rock music, other than the crap that is being currently put out. I do think though that Cornell has lost a bit of his high notes he used to belt out (which is understandable), but nonetheless this album rocks. I always wondered what Rage would sound like with a true vocalist, now I know...here's hoping they remain a band for awhile :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Great album, IMO.
On one of the songs "Exploder" (at 3:05 into the song), Cornell does a "da-du-de-da-da" sounding a capella thing that's a perfect imitation of Brian Johnson. :)
/Mike

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
While I am loving this CD more and more with each listen, I still despise 4 songs on it. Tracks 13 and 14 are still horrifc and I am not sure on the other two track numbers. Instead of padding the album with these horrible tracks, they should of just released a great 10 track album.

-Dean-

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I'm definitely digging this album more with each listen. Like Dean, there's still a few tracks that don't click with me (although I think "despise" is too strong a word for my feelings toward those tracks, more like "ambivalence"). But the songs I do like, I'm liking more and more. It's great to have Chris' powerful lyrics and singing style back on record.

Go on and save yourself!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks