What's new

Audioholics EP500 Review Posted (1 Viewer)

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
I read it twice, and the second time through I believe the reviewer is trying to say "Output, Output, Output, Output, Output. It can break dishes and scare your dog, Don't ask about sound quality, just look at those Output numbers!"

Thats just the impression I'm getting. I could be wrong.

Ron T

Stunt Coordinator
I didn't get that impression at all Garrett. The plots are all amazingly flat.

I was surprised at the value rating of 5 out of 5. Maybe this new type of amp really adds something that others lack. At this price point, I can get dual 12” woofers with a 1000 watt amp from SVS, or for a bit cheaper a single 12” woofer, with a 500W amp and a real wood box. Onix will sell you a 12” woofer in a sealed box with a 750W amp and built-in parametric equalization. Hsu doesn’t have anything at that price point, but you could buy a pair of STF-3’s (12” driver, 300W amp).

So, it seems that if I buy something aside from the Axiom I would get either a real wood finish, an extra 12” driver, parametric equalization, a more powerful amp, or some combination of those all for the same money. Not to mention auto-off and a continuously variable phase switch (except on the Hsu).

Ron T

Stunt Coordinator
It's the DSP that they were considering I think. He really didn't detail it like he should have. It's a pretty lousy review the way it's written.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
From the review (Selections in Bold by me)

Now in that paragraph, if you replace 'EP500' with 'MTX + 5000watt amp', you'll have, almost word-for-word, the exact review that you can find on hundreds of car-subwoofer forums. He spent five consecutive sentences saying "It thumps real good". If professional audio reviewers teach us anything, its to "read between the lines", in this case: It thumps good, that is all.

Ron T

Stunt Coordinator
I have now listened to the EP500 in two completely different listening environments and systems. The first was my factory tour to Axiom Audio nearly a year ago, and the most recent was when integrated into my own reference system. In both instances, the EP500 proved to be an outstanding performer regardless of price. It had the ability to command the respect of any bassaholic whether their preferences lean towards home theater or music. Its almost limitless dynamics and tactile response aren’t necessarily the defining characteristics that lend the EP500 to be an awesome subwoofer. Its low level linearity and control at high output levels really are the icing on the cake. There are many great subwoofers (especially available online) at this highly contested price point that offer commendable performance and cosmetics, but we feel the EP500 is class leading in performance in this price category. Alas – “King of the Deep” – is an appropriate title for it. If you are serious about bass, you owe it to yourself to check this subwoofer out. With Axiom’s great customer service (one of the best we have seen in this business) and generous 30 day return policy, it’s a risk free, no-brainer decision in this humble reviewer’s opinion. In fact, if you aren’t happy with the performance of this sub, please send it my way, my reference system could always benefit from the addition of an EP500 or two.

The toughest choice about the EP500 isn’t debating its performance edge over the competition as much as it is figuring out which of the four standard finishes and two grill colors to choose from. As if that wasn’t difficult enough, for a small premium there are even custom finish choices with six different grill color options. Now that’s custom!

Ned

Supporting Actor
The groundplane results suggest, there are no distortion figures that I can see, that the max output at 20hz is ~102.5db at 1m distance.

Over on AV talk their results for 2m groundplane pegged the SVS PC+ and PC Ultra at 98db or 104db adjusted for 1m. The Axiom also has a 7db "sag" from 20-25hz that can't be overcome by pushing the volume up. As you see the sag remains regardless of the input level increasing.

No offense to Axiom, but kind of a so-what sub.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks