What's new

Audio Refinement Pre-2 DSP (1 Viewer)

Orin Dym

Stunt Coordinator
I have received enough requests that I have scanned the manual and made it available for download. You can get it by going to my web (www.okdym.com) and following the Home Theater link--Enjoy.

Brian Corr

Supporting Actor
How do you like it?
Have you had other pre/pro's to judge it against?
Can it do DD EX or DTS ES 6.1? HOw about DTS Neo and/or DPLII?
sorry for all the questions, you'd think I was 5!

Orin Dym

Stunt Coordinator
Well, you should download the manual and read it. It is a basic 5.1 preamp except it is standard Audio Refinement sound--very smooth, very nice. It is supposedly unreadable to 6.1.

I have had the opportunity to compare it to the ADA Cinema Rhapsody, Audio Refinement Multi-5, Marantz AV-9000, and the Sony TAE-9000ES.

The major benefit of this preamp (being mainly a 2 channel person) is its quality of stereo sound. I use an Audio Refinement CD player analogue bypass through the DSP-2 and find the sound to be equivalent to that of the Multi-5. Movie decoding is as good as the ADA.

On the down-side, it is a very basic no frills unit (A major plus to me). DD/DTS is auto detect (and actually works very well). I have never lost lock during a movie, not even during layer changes.4 analog (One is 5.1)and 4 digital inputs. Any of the analog inputs can be bypassed so they behave very much like a wire with gain. It really is a set and forget unit.

In analog bypass mode the unit is very quite. I find there to be a bit of noise on the digital side, but not enough to interfere with sound quality.

The units display is a bit small and I can not read it from my seat. The remote is very basic and non programmable.

The DSP-2 is everything I wanted in a preamp--It gets out of the way of the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks