What's new

Audio Racks! Will I Kill My Gear Without One?! (1 Viewer)

Josh Wolfman

Stunt Coordinator
I also just set up a system in an armoir...the armoir is quite big (holds my 36 XBR800 and then some) but i have my B&K preamp on top of my Toshiba VCR which is on top of my Sony DVD Changer. Is there someone out there that makes shelves for me to place in my armoir? I don't want the shelf to go all the way across the armoir- just where this equip. is. I also have 3 marantz amps in there alongside a carver amp- these are only on when the doors are open and there is nothing on top of them. Thx

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
Josh,

What company makes your armoir?? Do you have a web site of that manufactuer with the piece number if possible?

Or, could you please post some type of photo/photos on perhaps a website or on here so we could take a look at it?? I am thinking of some options.

Josh Wolfman

Stunt Coordinator
I wish it were made by a company...my wife picked out this armoir- made in the 1800's out of oak. It is beautiful but also very expensive. I would love to post pics of my equipment and armoir...how do i do this? Thx

Adam_Reiter

Second Unit
Josh, to post a pic. It has to be hosted somewhere. I host my pics on my website. If you want, send me an email with the pic and I will throw it on my website and I will post it.

Josh Wolfman

Stunt Coordinator
Will do...I will try to take pics either tonite or over the weekend and mail them to you. I have a hotmail account...I believe I also get a webpage with this- does anybody know for sure? I do pay $19.95 for extra space on the hotmail. Thx

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
Josh:

I wish it were made by a company...my wife picked out this armoir- made in the 1800's out of oak. It is beautiful but also very expensive.
The reason I asked my question about the manufacturer is because it was necessary to find out if the case piece was antique and was of some major value. It sounds like it is in that category. That hobby too is addictive more so then audio.

I too collect case pieces and many of them can be valued at the level of 10-20K and that number is small potatoes from some that I've seen for sale. In otherwords, please don't start adding shelves altering the piece as it will kill the resale value. I could see you on the "Antique Roadshow"!! :D

When you have the opportunity, just post them with the dimensions and I am sure our creative group will have some suggestions.

Charles

Mark All

Second Unit
Adam,
Bell'o makes some nice A/V furniture (Cherry or Maple with silver colored accent pieces and glass shelves). I use their products because they are modern looking and very open. Nice choice on the silver products by the way. The only concerns I'd have with your system and Bell'o furniture is that the glass shelves are supposed to be limited to 50lbs, the Xbox would look out of place, and your TV would be out of place too if it's not silver. I have heard of someone taking the glass shelf off the bottom of a Bell'o rack and just sitting an amp weighing more than 50lbs on the metal support bars without any problem. If your armoire is being used for a home theater system with a center channel speaker, I'd think the set-up now would have the center channel way too high for proper panning of movie soundtracks. The armoire is very nice looking but it would look just as good elsewhere in the house I think. The only critical thing I can think of is to get the Anthem off the amplifier.

The least expensive way to handle your problem is to keep the armoire where it is and get an amp stand and camoflage the Aragon outside the armoire somehow. Maybe you can move everything forward a little so you can fit the amp behind the armoire and leave it on all the time while turning off everything in the armoire when not using the system. Your speakers may sound better further out from the walls too. The only other thing I can think of is the get some absorbent feet for the equipment in the armoire--made of sorbothane I think. It would help reduce vibrations affecting the equipment.

Roy Van Nostrand

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Roy Van Nostrand
Your wife doesn't mind not being able to see out the window?

This is a sensitive area but you have to be realistic about how you care for the investment. This is the one area that your wife may have to give in on IMO. Of course, you'll have to give in on several other areas to keep peace ...but this is an important one to protect the condition of your investment. Behind a wall in another room or in a spacious closet with ventilation might be considered as alternatives.

Joe Cole

Second Unit
Adam,

I own Aragon amps [love them] and they put out a lot of heat. One could cook eggs [in a smal pan] on top of them. If you can cook eggs you can cook pre/pros.

Armoires should be made illegal! As well as all French words. :angry: :D French Fries are now Victory Fries. :D
Ooh la la

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks