What's new

Audio and Video stutter in BTV (1 Viewer)

Steve Weeks

Stunt Coordinator
I have been running BTV in my HTPC for 2 years now, and I have had an occasional stutter in audio mostly, occasionally in video as well. I am using an AIW video card, and I have a gig of RAM in the system. I know from this and the snapstream forums that the AIW card with its software encoding is not the preferred video card for HTPC use. I also am using generic RAM in the system.

The system is pretty much dedicated for HTPC use. I am wondering if I should be lookingat upgrading the video card/tuner, or the RAM. And if so, what are some budget pieces I can use? I would like to keep any upgrades under $200.

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
I had the same problem with my AIW card. I replaced it with a Hauppauge 250 and my playback is smooth. The Hauppauge does most of the work on the card while the AIW relies on software for encoding and decoding, which taxes a system's resources. A Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-150 should do the trick for you and keep you below your $200.

Steve Weeks

Stunt Coordinator
I have looked at tew Hauppauge cards before. What are the differences in tew 150 and 250 cards? Do they have different performance, or just some different accessories?

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
My 250 did not come with a built in FM tuner, but it is the most cherished part of my old dell quasi-HTPC...

Michael Harris

Screenwriter

Actually neither did mine since I dont have the 250 but the 350, which does have an FM tuner. Must have been a senior moment.

My system can also be categorized as "quasi-HTPC" since I took the parts from a refurbished 1.4 Ghz Gateway and installed them in a better case with a new soundcard, video card, and tuner card. One day I'll build a proper HTPC. At least I have experience building a system.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.