Deadpool

Plenty more I'm sure

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I guess even Charlize is not bankable. I thought the movie was quite entertaining and that she would be a big draw. This must be why the movie studios are not breaking down my door to pick scripts for them. :P

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I guess even Charlize is not bankable. I thought the movie was quite entertaining and that she would be a big draw. This must be why the movie studios are not breaking down my door to pick scripts for them. :P
This film will be popular once it hits home video. A missed opportunity for many people.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
With a $30 million budget, I'm sure it will be in the Black soon.

messzeal

Auditioning
Real Name
John
The action scenes are really awesome! I may be biased because I am a huge fan of charlize theron

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Finally saw this (via blu-ray); I'd wanted to see it during the summer, but there are just so many nights you can get a babysitter. This was a blind buy, one that I'm glad I made. (Seriously, a blu-ray is a lot cheaper than a night at the movies.)

It was terrific. Stylish, tough, and thrilling. The plot was a bit of a jumble, with the film probably requiring another viewing to determine what everyone's true allegiances were. Theron was great (I've never seen her be otherwise), as were McAvoy (he's come a long way since playing a half goat-man in Narnia) and Boutella. Great supporting cast too - John Goodman comes to mind.

The music added a lot to the movie. I've never been particularly nostalgic for 80s music, but these were effective choices to use in the film. The setting also added a unique element - not sure I have seen another movie set at the tail end of the Cold War.

If Marvel ever gets around to making its Black Widow movie, they could do a lot worse than to use this as a template.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I thought it was merely ok. Theron looks great in it, and wears clothes that show her off well. The fight scenes were shot and choreographed well, although I kept thinking a real world woman couldn't do the things she did. Frankly, I found myself somewhat bored with it about 2/3s of the way through.

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
I was happy with the fight scenes, because in the past they would have a 100lb woman knocking 250lb men out with one punch. At least she takes a beating too, I mean she really takes a beating.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
If you've seen the trailer, you've pretty much seen the entire movie already.

Nope. I saw previews for this and none of that made any difference in what was in the movie.
Fight scenes without context in a 2 minute preview do not hurt the movie or give anything away.

This move is not cut or shot like the Bourne movies, is it? If so, it's out for me.
Did you see at least one of the trailers for this? If yes then you already know the answer.

I think this movie might have done OK since even though it's a period piece, it couldn't have been that expensive to make.

It was a period piece but it hardly felt like one. Music doesn't make it a pp that can be used in any time frame in a movie. Only thing making it a specific time is the Berlin Wall part. Otherwise could have been anytime the last 20ish years.

I'd give it a 4 of 5.

Probably buy the 4K if i can get it for a good price down the line.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I finally watched Atomic Blonde (blu-ray) last week. I admit...I didn't really understand it. I never really got the motivations of the characters, and so I didn't care about anyone. Somehow, compared to a Bourne Identity, where we quickly empathize with Jason Bourne because of his lost memory and apparent use by others, or a John Wick where the bad guys killed his dog (and if you don't connect emotionally with that, you have no heart), I couldn't find the emotioal or even intellectual connection with Lorraine (Charlize Theron).

The climatic action sequence was an amazing technical feat. And the twisty twist at the end was nice. But...I ended movie not understanding or caring about whatever had just transpired. Did the good guys win? Did they lose? Is there such a thing as good or evil?

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I finally watched Atomic Blonde (blu-ray) last week. I admit...I didn't really understand it. I never really got the motivations of the characters, and so I didn't care about anyone. Somehow, compared to a Bourne Identity, where we quickly empathize with Jason Bourne because of his lost memory and apparent use by others, or a John Wick where the bad guys killed his dog (and if you don't connect emotionally with that, you have no heart), I couldn't find the emotioal or even intellectual connection with Lorraine (Charlize Theron).

The climatic action sequence was an amazing technical feat. And the twisty twist at the end was nice. But...I ended movie not understanding or caring about whatever had just transpired. Did the good guys win? Did they lose? Is there such a thing as good or evil?
That pretty much summed up my thoughts on this film as well. Never clicked for me.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The only atomic thing I remember right now from this film is the bed room scene!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks