What's new

atlantic technology system 370 or definitive technology (1 Viewer)

DogueDeBordeaux

Auditioning
How many use this atlantic tech system 370? Have any regrets? I've had their compact theater 2 for a while now and need to upgrade. I can get this system at a good price. However, I like definitive technology, but can only get retail price. Does someone know where to buy definitive technology near Charlotte, NC below retail?

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hi Douge. Welcome to HTF! :)
I own DefTech and simply love them for HT. But the company tries to discourage internet sales to support dealers. So I'm afraid you wont find much in the way of discounters.
The Atlantic Tec speakers have always gotten good reviews from the magazines and from people who own them.
So it's a Coke vs Pepsi type of decision between the two.
One bit of advice: if you are considering the bipolar DefTech speakers, make sure you can place the speakers 2-3 feet into the room to take advantage of the bipolar design. If you dont have that space, only consider the non-bipolar DefTech speakers, or the Atlantic offerings.
Good Luck and let us know what you decide.

DogueDeBordeaux

Auditioning
Thanks Bob,

I have plenty of room for the bipolar speakers. I have about 6ft between the wall and sofa. I would like to place the surrounds against/on the wall. I think the atlantic tech's dipolar speakers will be much harder to place, since the sitting area is in the open ( not against the wall). What do you think about placing the atlantic tech speakers 6ft behind the listening area?

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Well 6 ft to the fronts, and 6 ft to the rears is a nearly symetrical placement. This is almost ideal.

Now I'm not a big fan of dipole speakers. Anything that has to bounce sound off of my walls does not qualify as "high quality" in my book. But you can simply turn the dipole speakers so that one of the drivers face you as though it was a direct-radiator.

(Dipole speakers became popular with ProLogic tapes where only ambient sounds like wind/rain/rumbles went to the rear speakers. The idea of dipole is to 'hide' the source of the sound. But many modern DVD movies are putting locatable sounds to one or the other rear speakers. You dont want to hide the sound-source for these. While some people love their dipole rears, 'cause a good speaker is still a good speaker, it's not my first choice.)

Just make sure to budget $40 for the Radio Shack SPL meter and about $40 for a copy of the Avia DVD to level-adjust your speakers.

Note: someone else who had a large open area behind his couch found that putting a low table behind the couch and putting the rear speakers to fire upwards gave him the best sound. All you really have to do is get the system, disable the front speakers, fire up an effects-heavy DVD and play with the different positions. Then pick the placement that sounds best to you. Heck, you can even ceiling-mount those dipoles. Just make sure to get a bracket for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trackername123
Recent bookmarks