What's new

ascend speakers (1 Viewer)

JuanNarvaez

Agent
I was browsing around the plasma doc page and I saw a package of the ascend speakers(HTM 200)and SVS sub. Are these speakers really that good. I'm looking something good for my new family room (about 17x18). Do you guys recomend these speakers. I have about $1000 or a little more. Please give me some feedback.

Eddie Horton

Stunt Coordinator
I love my Ascend speakers. I have the CMT-340's for the front 3 and CBM-170's for surrounds. Haven't heard the HTM-200's, but have read some favorable reviews. These are excellent speakers with an excellent price.

eddieZEN

Second Unit
Eddie,

Do you think the 340s are worth the price jump from the 170s?

I was thinking of ordering one pair of each and returning the one that I don't want. I'll put the 170s on stands and see how they compare to the 340s.

I've heard that tower speakers are supposed to give you a much fuller, more room-filling sound than bookshelf speakers due to the larger cabinet but the 340s are only 21" tall, really more like a tall bookshelf speaker than a true tower, which makes me wonder.

Have you ever tried switching the 170s as your mains instead of the 340s, to see how much of a difference it makes?

I have the same question about using the 340c versus the 170 for the center, since the 340c is not only huge to put on my TV but also seems a bit overpriced, costing almost as much as a PAIR of 170s.

BlakeCed

Auditioning
I too bought the 340's for the front stage. Boy was I impressed. I have had the axiom m22s and the m50s. The ascend acoustics just seem to be more transparent as if the vocalist was in front of you. I am no audiophile or do I claim to be. I just liked the sound of the ascend speaker much better. My girlfriend also prefered them. She listens to norah jones and such as I listen to pearl jam to soundgarden. The 340's are dubbed a mini tower. I think the additional 6.5" driver is going to give a lot more output at higher volumes. Talk to those guys on their site. They have many package deals. You could get the 340s for the front and the 170s for the rears. The 200 series is for wall mounting or where space is limited. The 170 needs to be off the wall idealy as it is rear ported...good like , Blake

Eddie Horton

Stunt Coordinator
The 170's are great speakers and could be used up front, but the difference in the 340 is definately worth it. If you go 170's for mains and surrounds, get the 340 center. You won't be sorry. I'm not going to throw out the usual "as good as speakers costing x times as much" hyperbole, but I will say that they are spectacular speakers. I have put them up against a friends Paradigm Monitor setup and they can't touch my Ascends. Of course this is just one man's opinion and YMMV, etc., but this is one area of my system that I have no regrets with. My 340's are sitting atop the custom stands that Ascend sells, and the height is just right for my listening spot. Imaging is superb and they are detailed but never harsh. I have an HSU VTF3-MkII for the lows that I am also satisfied with, but do get the PC Ultra or PB/12-Ultra2 upgrade bug every now and then.

David Bikeman

Stunt Coordinator
I posted a lengthly review of the 340 mains on the Ascend Forum which is unfortunately down at the moment. I compared them in home to at least four other brands, all more expensive and choose the 340's without hesitation based strickly on SQ. I'll be completing the HT package after the holidays (340C, 170 surrounds)when my credit card has had time to recover.
I recommend you audition these speakers. They'll make for a very happy New Year.

David

eddieZEN

Second Unit
Eddie,

Do you think those custom Ascend stands provide any sound advantage over normal speaker stands? They look great, but I already have some cheap TechCraft stands I was going to use, save the extra $100.

How much of a difference do you think the 340 center makes over the 170 center when listening to music? I'm not too picky about movie SQ.

eddieZEN

Second Unit
Blake,

I doubt I could afford to keep a second pair of Ascends as surrounds for a while, I was just going to move my current Mordaunt Short MS05s to the back.

Yeah I've read several reports of the Axioms being too bright, plus they're slightly more expensive and I'm already way over my starting budget for speakers, was hoping to get away with $250 for a pair of Wharfedale Diamonds but heard lots of negative feedback on them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks