What's new

As the Warner Archive announcements are a bit late this month, anyone want to guess? (1 Viewer)

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Batman: Mask of The Phantasm
Batman: SubZero
This Is the Army
Private Benjamin
Some sort of Looney Tunes or MGM Cartoon selection (Tex Avery anyone!!)

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
The six releases take two, this time the crystal ball says it's all westerns:

They Died With Their Boots On (1941)
3 Godfathers (1948)
The Big Sky (1952)
The Last Hunt (1956)
The Life & Times Of Judge Roy Bean (1972)
Pat Garrett & Billy The Kid (1973) & if it's just the Seydor cut...no sale!

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
You're correct about the poster asking about Doris Day films, but I don't recall any mention of specific titles. Based on what the Archive releases my guess would be The Pajama Game which I'd buy immediately.

As I recall, that person was also asking about a few Doris Day musicals on blu, as well (but it doesn't matter which gets released, I look forward to either).
As far as what I would guess, it seems to me that this year they have had releases related to the holidays or the month (Love In The Afternoon for Valentine's Day in February, Finian's Rainbow for St. Patrick's Day in March, Seven Days In May in May, The Ballad of Cable Hogue, I assume, for Father's Day), so I can only guess we might have one release related to July (the only thing I can currently think of would be "Christmas In July," but most of the releases I can think of that would fit don't seem to be within what the genres/ time periods they have been covering this year). Anybody else have any thoughts on this?

willyTass

Supporting Actor
Splendor in the Grass
Days of Wine and Roses
Petulia
The Nun's Story
Reflections in a Golden Eye ( Original gold cinematography )
The Heart is a Lonely Hunter
The Last of Sheila
The Sundowners
Sunrise at Campobello
Auntie Mame

All overlooked for the great great film The Gumball Rally

That would be cool

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
It seems, sad to say, that pretty much all the MOD DVD programs seem to be petering out somewhat. Warner Archive at least remains the most robust.

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
While I realize that this is the Blu-Ray section, the heading does refer simply to Warner Archive Announcements. So
I'd like to point out that previously unreleased titles, except on VHS in some cases, have pretty much ground to halt. A VERY broadly worded question on their Facebook page was answered with an assurance that at least a couple classic
silents might be forthcoming this year, but why just a couple? And what about the many other films from the 30s and
40s. During Warner Archives first few years I couldn't wait for each Tuesday to arrive. Now I simply yawn, jot down a
Blu-Ray title or two for some hoped-for future sale, and that's it. I've still got room for more "forgotten" films, so PLEASE,
WBAC ... bring 'em on!

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
As expected, this is just another excuse for a wishlist thread.

Dick, obviously u have a lot of time on your hands, but stop spamming these boards with futile threads.

"Hey the guy from Criterion replied to me, let start a thread!"...."Dear, Paramount...bla, bla"....Just cool off, old man. Buy a cat or something.

I think that, rather than pounce on you, a relatively short-time member here, and sink to your level on what I remind you is a forum, I will merely say, have a great day, sir! :)

P.S. Cats are plentiful at the local shelters and are generally almost free to adopt. Check it out!

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
As I recall, that person was also asking about a few Doris Day musicals on blu, as well (but it doesn't matter which gets released, I look forward to either).
As far as what I would guess, it seems to me that this year they have had releases related to the holidays or the month (Love In The Afternoon for Valentine's Day in February, Finian's Rainbow for St. Patrick's Day in March, Seven Days In May in May, The Ballad of Cable Hogue, I assume, for Father's Day), so I can only guess we might have one release related to July (the only thing I can currently think of would be "Christmas In July," but most of the releases I can think of that would fit don't seem to be within what the genres/ time periods they have been covering this year). Anybody else have any thoughts on this?
49th parallel for Canada's 150th? Or some other Canadian flavored film?

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Based upon a reply on Facebook, I would guess that Les Girls may be released sooner than later.

When asked about this title on FB recently the Archive's response wasn't the typical " we have no Blu-ray release information to impart at this time", but "Oh, we'd like to see that, too".

I'd like to see it too. It wouldn't even be a Day One purchase. It would be a pre-order on Day One.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
What are the criteria to release a certain film?
How are they thinking exactly?

In the case of Warner Archives, we know that and we have known it for the past two or three years. They release on immaculate Blu-ray discs those films which are in very good condition and do not require expensive work.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I'm sure the delay is owing to them just putting the finishing touches on the specs for the Raintree County: 60th Anniversary Ultimate Collectors Edition, with the roadshow release of the film fully restored and presented for the first time in 70mm, a making of documentary, a hardcover book, a copy of the soundtrack, and a packet of Raintree seeds. ;)

A guy can dream, can't he? ;)

Hey, it came first in a poll on THIS forum so they simply HAVE to release it :D

I do think however that the delay is because they want to make this a really big Ben-Hur style release - no expenses spared and no aspect ratio too wide ;)

Last edited:

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Usually Warner has no *set date* they just come when they do, which has been around the middle of the month, so I think next week they will announce some titles. It's really not them being late, since they arent like Criterion announcing at the 15th of each month, and this time it was the 16th :)

Richard M S

Screenwriter
Waterloo Bridge (with either the original or the remake or both)

Showboat (with either the partial silent or the 1936 version)

Ziegfeld Follies (with the re-discovered original full-length Lou Bunin puppet opening)

The Pride Of The Yankees (as a tie-in with that just-released "Making of" book)

The Sea Hawk

and for Gene Kelly fans: :

Brigadoon - including both the Cinemascope and the Academy ratio versions, all of the previously-released outtakes and the so-far still lost There But For You Go I outtake)

The Three Musketeers

The Pirate (I would be happy if they found, and included, any of the missing outtakes)

However I am fully prepared for the releases to consist of not one title mentioned anywhere in my post or on this thread.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
In the case of Warner Archives, we know that and we have known it for the past two or three years. They release on immaculate Blu-ray discs those films which are in very good condition and do not require expensive work.

Oh, I see.
So that means that "big" films require a lot of work, or they want to give them a special treatment with extras etc.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Oh, I see.
So that means that "big" films require a lot of work, or they want to give them a special treatment with extras etc.

It's pretty well established that some of their "big films" need very expensive remedial work. We can safely reject any silly idea that Warners don't know they own Seven Brides For Seven Brothers, Raintree County and High Society. We can also discount any theory that Warners don't like musicals!:) Robert Harris has more than once confirmed that these titles will be very expensive to restore, and that, undoubtedly, is why they haven't appeared on disc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks