What's new

Arthur (1 Viewer)

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
So Warner is releasing a Anamorphic Edition oF ARTHUR 2 ON THE ROCKS in February, while keeping the better original version the same Crappy Full Frame version. It is like having THE STING II Widescreen while the original is also FF. Come On Studios get it together!

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
I'm with you Bradley. Arthur is one of the funniest movies ever and ultimately sweet too. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay overdue for an anamorphic transfer. Wasn't Arthur nominated for Best Picture in 1981?

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
It wasn't nominated for Best Picture. However, it won "Best Supporting Actor" (J. Gielgud) and "Best Song" and it was also nominated for "Best Screenplay" and "Best Actor" (Dudley Moore).

This film is seriously overdue for an SE. Not only is the current version full frame, but it's full frame with lousy picture quality. I can't imagine why Warner is not redoing more of these full frame travesties they released as "budget" discs several years ago

Jeff D Han

Supporting Actor
Yeah, Arthur needs a good DVD with at least
an OAR transfer. It is silly for Warner Brothers
to release a proper version of one of the worst
sequels of all time (Arthur 2), and not put any
effort into a fan favorite (Arthur). :thumbsdown:

Scott Temple

Supporting Actor
I'd love to replace my crappy open-matte Arthur DVD with a new 16x9 1.85:1 disc. Arthur is getting the same amount of respect as Grumpy Old Men and Grumpier Old Men....none.

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
I'm not a betting man.....

But I'd be cofident to wager that we'll be getting a 16x9 upgrade on ARTHUR pretty soon. WHV is the sharpest of the studios when it comes to their catalog, and isn't ARTHUR about to turn 25 next year (2006?). Seems logical, that this may be their approach.

As to the Grumpy Men, the studio has these priced awfully low, ditto Ace Ventura. Probably the titles most in need of a 16x9 re-visitation. I hope we see these "brought to 16x9 remastered life" in the near future. Not for myself. I have only a mild interest in either scenario, but I know there are rabid fans for both series, waiting for a proper DVD.

Lord knows two or three years ago, I wouldn't make these kind of predictions. Warner was clueless, an ostrich with their head in the sand, when it came to giving the consumers what was proper, and what they wanted...(Willy Wonka, anyone?).

Since then, it seems wiser heads have taken hold, and for the most part, what the studio does is without peer in its excellence.

Let's see what happens!

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
The R2 edition of Arthur (the French one, anyway) is anamorphic OAR. The Man With Two Brains is my P&S pet peeve.

25th anniversary -- who gives a #&#$^#??? Has anyone EVER met a person who buys or watches films only on their anniversaries??

Ted

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
anniversaries are for marketing purposes, but i agree.
its silly.
i would love to be able to go out today and buy a nice anamorphic copy of this.
sure don't want to have to wait till sometime in 2006.
same thing with Outland another 1981 theatrical release.
WB is probably the best studio out there, but it would be nice to have proper releases on these and a few others - without a lot of fuss and muss.
every few months i go thru the racks and pick up titles like this and look at the back of the jacket, hoping in vain that the studio may have gone back and improved the transfer and slipped the new improved discs back into the retail food chain, but no.

thanks to this thread, i've been whistling the damn Arthurs theme all weekend

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

The dopey thing is "anniversary editions" in unlikely years. CTS called the last version of Boyz n the Hood an "anniversary edition" - it came out for the movie's 12th anniversary! By that reasoning, EVERYTHING is an "anniversary edition", because EVERY YEAR is an anniversary!

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter
Warner Bros.:
ARTHUR
THE BRIDGES OF MADISON COUNTY
FEARLESS
GRUMPY OLD MEN
GRUMPIER OLD MEN

Universal:
DEATH BECOMES HER
TIMECOP
SUDDEN DEATH

Eight titles released in P&S at the dawn of the format, still yet to receive their proper dues. I'm constantly irritated that some movies not fit to wipe my hindquarters with get upgraded multiple times over, but these titles have yet to receive just one upgrade to anamorphic widescreen (hell, at this point, let's let extras be damned). Fingers eternally crossed (especially for ARTHUR, BOMC, and FEARLESS...modern classics!) ...

Jodee

Screenwriter
Arthur 2 has never before been on DVD, so of course Warner is going to do it correctly now. The original Arthur disc was done in the earlier days of DVD before they knew what they were doing. From reading some of these posts here, it sounds like you guys think Warner should have released Arthur 2 in P&S just so they would match. :D

Nicholas Vargo

Second Unit
Real Name
Nicholas Vargo
"Arthur" is one of the few DVDs that I own that is P&S, and I wish that they would come out with a better edition of it. The transfer is fairly poor, and the mono sound mix has been recorded so low that even at the televisoon's highest volume, it still sounds low. I hope they reissue it, as well as "Wrongfully Accused" because that is in P&S too. Get it together, Warner.

On another front, I'm one of the few who enjoys "Arthur 2: On The Rocks" and thinks it's almost as good as the original. I've been waiting a while for that title, and it looks as if that will now pay off in February. Let me make it clear, I don't exactly hold it in high regard, but the guy who wrote it was Andy Breckman, who also wrote "Rat Race" and created the TV show "Monk", and I just think it's an entertaining film to pass the time period.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks