What's new

Argento fans! SLEEPLESS due 12/18/201 from Artisan (1 Viewer)

Matt_Stevens

Supporting Actor
www.fangoria.com/tpage/terror_tel/terror-tt_april_19.htm
While it appears to be bypassing theatrical play, Artisan has announced that they will unleash the movie on video December 18. The film will be available on VHS and a digitally mastered widescreen DVD with Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround audio, plus Argento commentary, a photo and trailer gallery, cast and crew biographies and other features. The listed running time is 117 minutes, which means it's the uncut version.

Wes Ray

Supporting Actor
YESSSSSSSSS! While it'd be cool to see an Argento movie get a US theatrical release, I can't complain about this good news. Argento commentary...I thought he stopped doing them? He must really have some interesting things to say about this one! Can't wait!
------------------
Horror AND non-horror fans unite!
jasvparbanner2.jpg

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
*praying to god Artisian doesn't give us a pan & scan transfer (ala Ginger Snaps) and gives us anamorphic widescreen and the DVD hopefully has an Italian track along with the English*

Matt_Stevens

Supporting Actor
Have you had a chance to see this?
Nope. I don't live in Italy.
biggrin.gif
I know people that have seen it and they have not had nice words to say about it. And these are Argento fans.
frown.gif
But we can all judge for ourselves later this year. I just hope my local rental places carry it. It was shot in English (one constant complaint is the bad acting by Italians speaking English), so I would hope that rental places carry it.
------------------
www.deceptions.net/superman

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
THIS IS GREAT NEWS!!!!!! I have been dying to see Argento's new film for too long. I am very glad that it will FINALLY get American release later this year! Can't wait!

GerardoHP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerardo Paron
praying to god Artisian doesn't give us a pan & scan transfer (ala Ginger Snaps) and gives us anamorphic widescreen and the DVD hopefully has an Italian track along with the English
I doubt very much it would be P&S because this film was shot full-frame for 1.66 or 1.85:1 projection.
It was also shot in English, with many of the Italian actors dubbed by those "neutral" voices you're familiar with from every Argento and Hercules movie.
IMO, while not as horrible as PHANTOM OF THE OPERA, this is most definitely one of Argento's lesser efforts, with a messy narrative structure and God-awful acting, and a T-E-R-R-I-B-L-E script. A couple of great moments and a dynamite sound mix save it from being a complete miss.
To note, something that happens more and more in Argento movies lately: he used to let the audience get to know the victims, so that when they died you actually felt for them. Now they are just cyphers, "a prostitute", "a sales clerk". They are indistinguishable from each other and individually unrelated to the general plot.
Don't keep your hopes up too high and you may actually enjoy it.
------------------
Gerardo

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
While I certainly wouldn't say it was anywhere near the stuff he did in his prime, Sleepless is much better than Stendahl Syndrome and a few others.
Nope. I don't live in Italy. I know people that have seen it and they have not had nice words to say about it. And these are Argento fans. But we can all judge for ourselves later this year. I just hope my local rental places carry it. It was shot in English (one constant complaint is the bad acting by Italians speaking English), so I would hope that rental places carry it.
You don't have to live in Italy to see it. It's out in R2. Actually, other than Max Von Sydow, most of the actors are dubbed...and the dubbing is really, really, really BAD! This is one I would certainly want the Italian audio if I was going to purchase it. The English track is horrendous. That may be why so many peope didn't like it.
Jeff

Wes Ray

Supporting Actor
Well, I think we should all actually watch the movie for ourselves and not judge it based on what we were told by the friend of a friend of a friend. :)
------------------
Horror AND non-horror fans unite!
jasvparbanner2.jpg

Gerard Priori

Stunt Coordinator
I haven't liked anything Argento has done since OPERA--that is, until NONHOSONNO. I really don't know why I've read so many complaints about the film; I absolutely LOVED it. I found it as mysterious and suspenseful as his older giallo films and the scene on the train early in the story was as frightening to me as anything he's ever committed to film. While I already have the Italian DVD, I look forward to the domestic release. In my eyes, Argento has finally redeemed himself from the awful PHANTOM OF THE OPERA and TWO EVIL EYES.
-Jerry

Matt_Stevens

Supporting Actor
Well, I think we should all actually watch the movie for ourselves and not judge it based on what we were told by the friend of a friend of a friend.
I trust the people I have taloked with. And they didn't tell me what they heard from a friend. :) It's direct information.
frown.gif
I'll keep an open mind, but it won't be easy after so many bad Argento films in a row.
------------------
www.deceptions.net/superman

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
I just wish he would patch things up with Daria Nicolodi long enough to finish the Three Mothers trilogy....it was agonizing to see her on the Suspiria interview talking about how she has the ending all planned out but no one else knows it. What if she gets hit by a truck???
eek.gif

------------------
"This movie has warped my fragile little mind."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks