What's new

arg...i'm speaker illiterate! (1 Viewer)

JerryC

Auditioning
hey.... i'm a newbie when it comes to speakers... i know absolutely nothing!! i read a couple of posts about speakers and then i went to buy some...please tell me if what i got is good (compare it to bose too =P) and please tell me if the pricing was sound.

B&W- cdm1nt compact monitor- $1050
B&W- cdmc-nt- $515
B&W- dm303B 2 way spkrs- $260
B&W- ASW 300 8" Woofer- $305
Target- FSD60 24" spkr stand $87
Marantz- sr5200 85X6 receiver- $523
Marantz- DV 4200 DVD player- $350

The dealer compared our equipment to bose, and said that itz like comparing a bmw to a honda. Does that sound right?Also... my television captioning seems to be a little off color...when i turn on the "test" switch i see a crosshair...but the crosshair can never be one perfect crosshair...if the center is fixed, then the sides are off, if the sides are fixed, then the center is off...please help! your efforts will be greatly appreciated! =)

DanaA

Screenwriter
More like a BMW to a Pinto. Bose aren't too respected around HTF due to the price they charge for relatively inexpensive speaker materials and the fact that they are incapable of truely giving off high and low frequency sounds. Many also feel their advertising is highly misleading and aimed at relatively naive consumers. That said, B & W speakers and Marantz receivers enjoy great reputations as fine audio equipment. I know nothing about B&W video equipment. Sorry, I can't help as to whether you got a good deal, as I don't know the particular models you refer to, but you might be able to find out more by doing a search on HTF.

Regarding the video crosshairs, have you asked the dealer about it? They should be able to answer your questions.

Welcome to HTF by the way. I'm just a user like you, but really enjoy it. Careful though, if you're like me, you'll get the upgrade itch too often.

By the way, how does the audio part of your system sound. I'd recommend you buy a disc called Avia which will help you callibrate both the video and audio portion of your system.

Sihan Goi

Second Unit
I can't help you with the prices, but rest assured that you got some pretty decent gear there. B&W is a well-respected British loudspeaker manufacturer, and their CDM-NT line is just 1 step below their flagship Nautilus line, with several key technologies integrated. Marantz electronics are also pretty well regarded, especially their receivers, CD players and SACD players. I'm not too sure about their DVD players though.

joe logston

Stunt Coordinator
jerry,
i will trade my bose for your b&w, im just kiding i wouldnt have bose if they gave me them. keep the b&w there good speakers, you made the right choice.

JerryC

Auditioning
hahaha you people are funny....thanks alot for your help! It means a lot to me. And thanks for making me feel welcome in this forum!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks