What's new

Are you satisfied with your system? (1 Viewer)

Yoon Lee

Stunt Coordinator
Today, my wife asked me this powerful question. I gave answer, "Yes, I am, but I also see some room for improvements." Of course, my wife wasn't too happy about the second part of answer, but it was my honest answer. :) How about you?

Jim_F

Screenwriter
The improvements I covet would bring a marginal improvement to my A/V enjoyment at most, and would have a gross pricetag approaching $10K. Some of the pieces I have in mind haven't even hit the market yet. Basically, I'd be gaining a little larger/better monitor, 7.1 speakers, and MC SACD (my 2ch SACD is presently very satisfactory)

For that amount of improvement, I just can't justify the expenditure, so I have resolved to stay happy with my setup for the time being. Shouldn't be too hard to do.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I bet this becomes a fairly sized thread, because it goes to the core of "upgradeitis"! :)
I bet most of us will answer that question, "Yes, but..."
Here's mine: If the world had stayed at DD EX, DTS-ES, DVD-V, I would have answered a simple Yes.
But now I'm waiting to upgrade my pre/pro and DVD player to get DVD-A and SACD with proper analog bass management. Whenever the Outlaw 950 is ready (or man, I'd love to see some reasonably priced pre/pros from Yamaha, Denon, Pioneer, Onkyo, etc.), and then either the Pioneer DV-47a (or newer 45a). I have a Sony TA-E9000ES and a Pioneer DV-05 now.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
There will always be something bigger and more expensive on my wish list but for the first time ever I can honestly say that I'm fully satisfied with my system. A high def TV would be nice but I've had visitors ask if my current set is an HD based on the picture quality. My soundsystem is more impressive than what can be heard in your average movie theater or dance club so the urge to upgrade there is minimal as well.

Kris Coffin

Stunt Coordinator
Well considering I have just finished spending slightly over $20k since Jan 1,2002 to finally upgrade, and just finshed Aug 1, I must honestly say not a chance. I spent months researching and I am 100% satisfied, and have resolved to not buy another peice of Hardware for the next year or so.

Kris

And whose cruel idea was it to put an "S" in the word "Lisp"?

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
I don't think anyone can honestly say "YES" without having that hint of wanting to upgrade.
There's always something better...
I think it's human nature to not reach a point of complete satisfaction. Kind of like the phrase "Money isn't everything" in which I totally agree. How boring would this hobby be if there was absolutly nothing new or better than what you owned?
Maybe it would be like collecting "air" around us.. we have plenty of it and it's not improving any... That sure sounds like fun, collecting air in jars and bottles. :) jk

Jason_Me

Stunt Coordinator
I just got started with this stuff not to long ago, so, I've got a long way to go. I do have a pretty decent HT (about $5000 worth of stuff). Right now I'm dreaming (and adding) up a 2 channel system. I'm shooting for $10k speakers, and $5000+ amp. Then I'll worry about upgrading my HT. :D

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
Not by a long shot! I have the unquenchable desire to upgrade from:
Sony WEGA KV-32FV27
Kenwood HTB-504
Toshiba SD-4700 DVD Player
To:
Panasonic PT-47WX52 or Toshiba 50H82 HDTV (also considering Mitsubishi)
Panasonic RP91 DVD Player
Pioneer VSX-39TX Receiver
Paradigm Reference Studio 40s
Paradigm Reference Studio 20s for surrounds
Paradigm Reference Studio CC
SVS 25-31 PCi Subwoofer
*sigh*...man if I only had the cash I'd have had this stuff two weeks ago!! :D :emoji_thumbsup:

John Dunlap

Stunt Coordinator
If you mean satisfied with my equipment then I would have to say I'm pretty content with what I have right now although ther is plenty of room for improvement.

The weakest link in my system right now is my listening environment. The only reason I'm not tweaking the hell out of this room is that I am in the process of finishing my basement. Once that's done I'll move everything down there and treat the room appropriately. Right now I feel like I could spend thousands more on equipment and still be unhappy because of poor room acoustics.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
On the audio side, I can say ABSOLUTELY YES!!! (Anthem AVM-20, Anthem MCA-5, Paradigm Reference speakers all around, Sony SCD-555ES SACD player). The only room for improvement that could be noticable is with the amp and I doubt for the money I spend it would be that much better. Overall, I'm very happy.

Nowhere near satisfied with the video side. Both the DVD player and the TV are old and inadequate. Currently paying off credit card debt acquired getting the audio stuff and saving in order to upgrade the video side.

BobRoulier

Second Unit
I can say that I am satisfied as well, but read the new magazines with all the latest and greatest and visiting these forums always makes one question their purchases and the need to upgrade again! I think its safe to say that just about every one who visits these boards are in too deep any ways and we all share the same obsession for this wonderful hobby :angry: I think its a question of self control and how much your willing to spend for possibly minimal improvements:D
Bob

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Are you satisfied with your system?
Yes I am.
Just added my 4th and final Adcom amp. Now using the Marantz SR5000 for the pre/pro only. Finished the 15" Tempest Sonosub a few months back. All 5 Polk's are matched perfectly.
The Mits 46" 16:9 was added a little over a year ago and was ISF calibrated by Gregg Loewen back in February. Picture quality is stellar.
I am very satisfied and have no more major upgrades. About all I have remaining are interconnect upgrades for the Adcom's and surround sound speaker wire (which I already bought).
Peace Out~:D

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yes and no. I'm actually pretty happy with the way it sounds right now. There are only 2 minor upgrades that I am working on, and possibly the addition of SACD (waiting to see what new stuff comes out from Sony).

John Dunlap

Stunt Coordinator
For me I think that upgrading was more fun back in the early days when I did'nt have very good stuff. I'll never forget the day I hooked up my first DVD player along with a new set of Energy speakers and Denon DD Receiver. My jaw just about hit the floor when I fired everything up! I won't say what I was upgrading from-for fear of insulting anyone who is a current owner!

Now it's 4 years later and with all of my audio upgrades I'm about $4,000 lighter in the wallet. These upgrades have made a difference for sure. It's just that it has'nt been a quantum leap like the last time.

I'm hoping that my next video upgrade-which will be to a Hi-Def RPTV-will have a similar wow factor as my audio upgrades 4 years ago.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I doubt that I will ever be 100% satisfied -- there will always be something new or better out that can improve my setup. However, after upgrading my receiver and adding a couple of rear center speakers, the only item I am even considering an upgrade to right now is my CD player (to a Sony ES CD/SACD carousel player). Otherwise, I am very satisfied with my current setup, considering that my room has now become my weak link in the system.

Sebastien David

Second Unit
A bigger and better display device, a second sub, the appropriate center channel when it comes out and eventually (along with the display device) a better DVD player that plays the DVD+R/DVD+RW format, and then I'm done forever unless something revolutionary comes along.

Present system:

Denon AVR-3801
Energy C-7s mains
Energy C-3 center
Energy C-3s surround/surround back
Paradigm PW-2200
Toshiba SD-1600
JVC AV32D201

Final system:

Denon AVR-3801
Energy C7s mains
Energy C-C3 center
Energy C-3s surround/surround back
Paradigm PW-2200 x2
Front projector (probably a Plus)
Something along the lines of the successor to the Panasonic RP-91, I'd like it to play SACD and/or DVD audio as well, and the ability to play DVD+R/DVD+RW is a must.

Then I'll spend money on software, which will bring me much more pleasure than what are to my ears VERY marginal increases in sound quality. I guess you could call me a reasonable enthusiast.

Depending on the room I move in, some acoustic treatments might also be in order, though.

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
NO.. NO.. Never
I currently have the following equipment:
Studio 100's
Studio 40's
Reference Center
EarthQuake Super Nova MKIV12
Sherbourn 5/1500A
Aragaon 8002
Anthem AVM-20 Soon to be connected
Sony SACD 555ES Mod
Sony DVP-C650D
Sony 36XBR-400
My system is very unbalanced where budget allocation is concerned. Considering the total cost of the Paradigm's was around 3k, the next purchase will/should be in the speaker area.
They are the weak link in my system as it stands today with the supporting cast of components. Then there is Levinson, Linn, etc.
Perhaps high end Dynaudio, Martin Logan, B&W, Revel, Sonus Faber, VMPS and that list could go on and on.
Also could like to add a PS Audio P1200 with high end wire connections to all components.
Then I might be content at least for a short time period. :)

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
No. Not at all. It all must be improved. Starting with the room. I want a nice square or rectangular room, with good sound proofing and no big windows that have AC units in them. About the only things I have worth keeping are the dvd's. and I need several hundred more of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks