What's new

Are you satisfied with your system? (1 Viewer)

I am ALWAYS thinking, newer, bigger and better. Sometimes when the upgradeitis seems like it will hit the breaking point I go and watch a movie at the local movie theater, which is only about 2 or 3 years old now. Then I think, you know what, my system sounds and looks way better than this place. And of course to top it all off, my wife will lean over to me and whisper, this movie would look and sound much better on our home theater system. That always seems to be a temporary cure until I get antsy again...

Mark Romero

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Romero
Speakers are first up when I return to the US. I am looking at a Klipsch RF7, RS7, RC7 package. Thought about DVD-A and SACD but there aren't many, if any, titles I would actually buy.

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
With my purchases in the last 6 months, I've reached a point where I look around the room and think "What can I upgrade next?" I'm stumped. It's the first time ever that I've been pretty much satisfied with things the way they are.

I look and see my Onkyo 595, Polk RT25i/RT25i/CS245i speakers, SVS 20-39CS+/S1000/ART-351 (EQ'd flat +/-3dB at reference level), Hitachi 43UWX10b, Panny RP56 DVD, X-Box with HD pack. I'm dumbfounded. I could get a new receiver and add DD-EX/DTS-ES with a center rear, but the wiring of that in my room would be a nightmare and I just don't see the benefits outweighing the amount of work it would take. Pretty much anything else would be overkill for my little 12'x16'x8' room.

My home theater is essentially complete... and it bugs the hell out of me! Guess I'll have to upgrade something else... like maybe this computer. Hmmmm...

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
I'm pretty happy right now. I've just got done with a major overhaul of the system this spring. My wishlist and time frames:

* SACD capability (winter probably)
* VSX-49TX upgrade board (maybe winter, but still looking for the compelling reason to do so)
* 2nd ISF calibration (this fall - tweaking since last one 2 years ago)
* DirecTivo (whenever they release one w/ HDTV tuner (doesn't need to record HDTV yet.)
* cables (as needed)
* Mitsubishi 'promise' upgrade (whenever available)
* switch box that does component, optical audio & controlled by remote for about $200 (whenever someone shows one to me that can do this)

All this I consider kinda minor - the bigger stuff will at least be a year or two out (new speakers - thinking Vienna Acoustics, power amp (have no idea what brand), FPTV - maybe 3 years out.)

shane_watson

Stunt Coordinator
as much as in my control,......until hd stb,s either come way down in price or go way up in quality.

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
Current setup:

Marantz AV560U Pre/Pro
Rotel RMB-1066
Panasonic RP56
JVC 32"
Paradigm Mini Monitors(2pr)
CC-350
PS-1000

As far as audio sounds its fantastic, even thought I know its not the latest/greatest or top of the line. Video wise I would like a Widscreen HDTV ready set. When that arrives I think I'll finally be content. Sure I could upgrade my speakers, amp or pre/pro, but why bother. Everytime I goto the movies, the first thing I say to others or think to myself is, "this will sound so much better when comes out on DVD".

Kevin

David Berry

Stunt Coordinator
Considering the thousands of dollars that I have spent in the last 6 months, I am satisfied with my system. Mind you, I just bought a 1.5 year old Bryston amp, so I'm still on that high.

David

Ken Garrison

Supporting Actor
My Sherwood HTR-250 Pro Logic systems sounds pretty good. I'm satisfied and DVDs sound really good on it. But someday, I'd love to have something better. More power subwoofer, 5.1 surround sound, an actual DVD player instead of the computer, and a new TV.

Phil Mays

Second Unit
NEVER!!!:D
I am now getting a bid for a media room addition onto my house, that is upgradeitus isn't it? Oh yea, also in this room will come a completely new system. Well, I guess my cables are fine.
Current system.
Onkyo TXDS 797
AMC 2n100-5 amp
Carver AV 405 amp
Sony 51 disk CD player
Yamaha 10 band Graphic equalizer
JVC progressive scan TV
JVC 36" flat screen TV
Klipsch reference and ledgend speakers
Kimber 8TC cable
Kimber Interconnects
However, late at night when I am alone and listening to my system a little smile can develop on my face at how well it sounds. It's just when the wife comes in must I upgrade
:D Am I doing it to impress her hopefully trying to get her "effections" ;) or (most likely) am I doing it to drive her crazy:D .

Natalie M

Stunt Coordinator
Audio/Visual wise, everything is set. We just added the final piece (Hitachi 53 widescreen), now all we need is the dedicated home theatre space, (we're in an apartment), and the chance the crank it without worrying about neighbors. We will start looking for houses in January.:D

Drew Eckhardt

Stunt Coordinator
I have 9" projector, Stewart screen, Lexicon processor, and am not yet satisfied.

I want to finish my hush box project, upgrade screen channels to something more accurate (perhaps a dipole to minimize room interactions), put Theatershield on at least my screen wall...

Brian Burgoyne

Second Unit
"Today, my wife asked me this powerful question. I gave answer, "Yes, I am, but I also see some room for improvements." Of course, my wife wasn't too happy about the second part of answer, but it was my honest answer. How about you?"
I would have asked her if she was happy with the shoes in her closet...
;)

kevitra

Second Unit
Actually my wife is more into jewelrys and handbags
That is much, much worse than shoes. Especially if she is a Coach kind of gal.

I am satisfied with both my audio and video. I love my ACI Sapphire IIIs, and my Mits HDTV is great. But (always a but) I am thinking about upgrading my 25-31 with the 'new' driver (mine has a serial number in the low 30s).

Phill O

Stunt Coordinator
Not yet, but then again I'm still old school with my prologic Kenwood AVR-8070 reciever. But the improvements
are slowly coming. Lets see a list of what I want.
DVD-DVDA-SACD Progressive player
Preamp Rotel or Outlaw
Subwoofer (I'll make one my self :D )
@ch amp for my rear speakers, perhaps a parasound
or rotel.
16X9 HDTV This will probably be my last purchase.
All total probably 4G's worth of gear.
I'll keep my NHT 2.5i(bi-amped), 1.5, AC-1, Parasound 855A

Kris Coffin

Stunt Coordinator
Ugh!

I would like to retract my last comment, that I am totally content with my system. After watching Lord of the Rings last night, I have come to the relization that I need a pair of SVS CS+ 16-46 subs. Damn and I was soooooo close to complete HT contentment, Damn you LOTR, damn you to hell.......

Kris

Bill_D

Supporting Actor
Never.

Futures upgrades include a projector or CRT, an audio invisible Stewart Screen, separates, dedicated 20 amp rewire .............

KyleRoussel

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, I'm content for now, but the upgrades aren't that far away. Maybe a year or two...if you call that not far away. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks