What's new

Are you bothered by seeing a 2.35/2.40 flim on a small, 27" or lower 4:3 TV? (1 Viewer)

DisneySwan1990

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sagalina Hazzan
My question is this:Are you bothered by seeing a 2.35/2.40 flim on a small, 27" or lower 4:3 TV? I know it really bothers me, but does it bother you when you watch it on disc media (some LD's, and all DVD's and Blu-Ray)

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
What I would be bothered about is watching ANY movie on a 27" 4X3 TV. But no, black bars don't bother me one bit.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
No. It wouldn't bother me if that type of TV was the only choice available at the moment. It would bother me more if I really wanted to see the film and was not able to watch it at all.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
I got my first DVD player in 1998 and at that time I had a 27" television. One of the main reasons I got into the format was a preference for widescreen. Regardless of screen size I would never purchase a movie that's fullscreen if it was originally wide.

DisneySwan1990

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sagalina Hazzan
Greg Kettell said:
I prefer a larger screen but I don't mind letterbox bars, and it's vastly better than watching pan & scan.
So you can get used to seeing 2 inch black bars on your small TV?

DisneySwan1990

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sagalina Hazzan
Carl Johnson said:
I got my first DVD player in 1998 and at that time I had a 27" television. One of the main reasons I got into the format was a preference for widescreen. Regardless of screen size I would never purchase a movie that's fullscreen if it was originally wide.
So you can get used to the 2.35/2.40 bars on your 27" TV you had back then?

DisneySwan1990

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sagalina Hazzan
Mark-P said:
What I would be bothered about is watching ANY movie on a 27" 4X3 TV. But no, black bars don't bother me one bit.
So you can get used to watching 2.35/2.40 films on a TV that's the six of two Game Boy Colors, and not be bothered by the bars at all?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Carl Johnson said:
I got my first DVD player in 1998 and at that time I had a 27" television. One of the main reasons I got into the format was a preference for widescreen.
Same here. Even before that, I got a laserdisc player when I was in high school and the TV I had back then was a 20 incher. Occasionally, I'd move the LD player down to my dad's 32 inch TV but that was infrequent. I was happy to live with the bars on a small screen to see the movie correctly.

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
I didn't have a problem with it back when I owned a 27" TV and I don't have a problem today when I get giant vertical bars watching old movies on my widescreen TV.

When I'm watching a movie, the surroundings tend to become less important because I'm focused on the movie. If the number of pixels on the screen not being lit up is a problem for me, then it means I'm not that interested in what I'm watching.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Mark-P said:
Same here, moved to a projection system a looong time ago and never looked back. I HATED watching movies on a small TV but I hated it even more when they were cropped at the sides.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The black bars never bothered me. I'd rather have the complete movie as the filmmakers shot it, even if it plays a little smaller on my display. I'd watch letterbox VHS tapes back in the day on screens as small as 13". My TV all through college was only 19 or 20 inches, and I had no issues watching letterboxed VHS tapes or DVDs on it.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I have a 29 inch 4/3 bedroom set, a Sony Trinitron from the late nineties, still going strong, i watch 2.35:1 films late at night from the satellite on it all the time. There is nothing more hideous to me than viewing a cropped 2.35:1 film.

A bigger screen is better but more picture information is better still regardless of the screen size, according to my mate Godzilla, size matters, sure i said but you have to put it all into context, what's the point of watching anything if half the image is missing.

I also have a projector and a plasma, and i have viewed on my 17 inch laptop, widescreen all the way no matter the size of screen.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
DisneySwan1990 said:
So you can get used to seeing 2 inch black bars on your small TV?
I watched the movie, not the bars. It was a revelation seeing Star Wars, among others in 2.35 on TV on LD, even though it was small. I had a 32" TV back then, but 27" wouldn't have changed things.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Crud, when I got my first LD player in 1991, I watched 2.35:1 letterboxed movies on a 15-inch TV - a 27-inch screen seemed HUGE back then!

Different world now, of course, but if I had a 27-inch TV, I'd still watch letterboxed movies on it and enjoy them.
Actually, I DO still have a 27-inch 4X3 set in my bedroom - I don't watch much on it, but if I do screen a letterboxed movie, I'm fine with it. I never minded the black bars...

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
I had several years of watching DVDs on smaller old-style 4:3 TV sets, but I probably couldn't face going back to them now.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
I have a 32-inch Sony Bravia and in order to read the subtitles on a letter-boxed film I have to switch to "normal" mode which puts the entire image in a rectangle in the center of the screen, so the image is, diagonally, only about 22 inches. If I filled it out to "zoom," which would fill up more of the screen and still retain the proper aspect ratio and not squeeze or stretch the image, the subtitles would be cut off on the bottom. On a non-foreign or English-dubbed film then I would do it. But most of the films I watch on that TV are in a foreign language.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
FoxyMulder said:
I have a 29 inch 4/3 bedroom set, a Sony Trinitron from the late nineties, still going strong, i watch 2.35:1 films late at night from the satellite on it all the time. There is nothing more hideous to me than viewing a cropped 2.35:1 film. A bigger screen is better but more picture information is better still regardless of the screen size, according to my mate Godzilla, size matters, sure i said but you have to put it all into context, what's the point of watching anything if half the image is missing. I also have a projector and a plasma, and i have viewed on my 17 inch laptop, widescreen all the way no matter the size of screen.
It takes some guts to watch movies on anything but your projection system - I never did that since I got into projection :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks