Are Velodyne subs under $500 still sublime?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Thomas_Berg, Jul 25, 2001.

1. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    I have been considering the RAVA and the Hsu VTF-2, but i was milling around on onecall.com and saw some being offered for

2. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

onecall had the ct150 for $499 too, that would be a close match for the VTF-2.
    TV

3. Claude M

Claude M Stunt Coordinator

'Special Only $499.00 Good through July 30, 2001'
    Not much time left! You might want to stop in on your local Vel dealer too. Since the CTs are being replaced they will be priced to move. Good luck.

4. DanWiggins

DanWiggins Second Unit

Thomas,
    Many folks have replaced CT120s with Ravas, and all are quite happy. The CT150 would be, IMHO, a tossup; however, Rava is still $100 lower cost than a discounted CT150.
    Dan Wiggins
    Adire Audio

5. Will

Will Guest

6. DanWiggins

DanWiggins Second Unit

For under $249, it would be the CT100 IMHO. Or go the DIY route (which can be done for under that price, and some sweat equity).
    Dan Wiggins
    Adire Audio
    ------------------

7. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    but should i go Velodyne over the Hsu? which is better (i'm gonna do music more than HT)?

8. DanWiggins

DanWiggins Second Unit

Personally, I'd take the Vel or Rava over the Hsu (well, to be honest I'd take the Rava, but then again I am biased... [​IMG]). Especially for music - I think either one will produce a better output for music reproduction.
    Dan Wiggins
    Adire Audio
    [Edited last by DanWiggins on July 26, 2001 at 06:12 PM]

9. Tom Vodhanel

>>>but should i go Velodyne over the Hsu? which is better (i'm gonna do music more than HT)?

10. DanWiggins

DanWiggins Second Unit

On the other hand, having heard both subs, I prefer the sound of the VT150, especially for music. It simply sounds better, to my ears. The VTF-2 may be able to crank out a bit more SPL, but to my ears it doesn't sound as crisp or natural as either the VT150 or the Rava.
    And, to my own measurements, the Rava can hold its own against the VTF-2. Is it independent testing? Well, I'll repeat them for others, if they want to stop by. Personal is about as independent as you can get.
    I guess if you want to just judge subs by their numbers, well, go that route. To my ears, the VT150 or Rava would be a better selection, especially for music.
    Dan Wiggins
    Adire Audio

11. Michael Roderiques

Michael Roderiques Stunt Coordinator

Thomas About once a year Velodyne sort of cleans out the closets, that is all the units returned for various reasons are pulled out of storage. most of these are from retailers refusing delivery due to the boxes being damaged. In most cases the sub you could buy as a refurbished unit has never been used. They are taken completely apart, inspected, tested and then reassembled. They may actually be better than a brand new one in the store.
    The CT series is replaced by the CHT series, for the most part the big change is in cosmetics. The CT series was designed to be a Home Theater sub. the idea was to bring the same sound in a movie theater into your home theater. They do a very good job of that. As Tom Vodhanel has noted Tom Nousaine has fully reviewed the CT series subs. He did give them very good ratings.
    If you are looking for a music only sub-woofer, my opinion would be that the CT series may not be the best choice of Velodyne subs. I would recommend that you look into the VLF series. Tom Nousaine did a review of the VLF. It was published a few months ago. Again it was rated very highly.
    The VLF was designed more for a music system.
    Michael

12. Tom Vodhanel

>>>On the other hand, having heard both subs, I prefer the sound of the VT150, especially for music. It simply sounds better, to my ears. The VTF-2 may be able to crank out a bit more SPL, but to my ears it doesn't sound as crisp or natural as either the VT150 or the Rava.>> Is it independent testing? Well, I'll repeat them for others, if they want to stop by. Personal is about as independent as you can get.>I guess if you want to just judge subs by their numbers, well, go that route.

13. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas

14. Tom Vodhanel

>>>i once owned a 15" sub and it seemed slow in response to the music. is that a general quality of larger drivers? it went really low and sounded good, but i would have traded it for a 12" anyday. i'm going to circuit city (ooh, divx still hurts) tomorrow to check them out. but is it normal for larger subs to be slower in sound delivery?

15. Tom Vodhanel

>>>If you are looking for a music only sub-woofer, my opinion would be that the CT series may not be the best choice of Velodyne subs. I would recommend that you look into the VLF series. Tom Nousaine did a review of the VLF. It was published a few months ago.

16. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

17. DanWiggins

DanWiggins Second Unit

That wasn't my intent, and if it wasn't clear, please forgive me! Rather, it would be like going to the Dodge dealer, and asking to ride along when they measure the Viper's performance at the track. Not just some other magazine or 3rd party, but see the measured performance yourself.
    Overall, music subs are pretty different beasts than HT subs. Even placement should be considered different. David Griesinger's works on the subject of acoustic (including bass) envelopment, for example (http://world.std.com/~griesngr/) should be required reading prior to setting up a music-targeted system (for those that don't know, David is the chief scientist as Lexicon, as well as a highly respected and contributing member of the AES). Music subs need more than just high SPL output; again, the works of Griesinger, and even Linkwitz, or Tolve, or J. Johnson are quite enlightening on this subject.
    Dan Wiggins
    Adire Audio

18. DanWiggins

DanWiggins Second Unit

19. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

20. Tom Vodhanel

>>>I guess independent distortion measurements of the driver (which generates the VAST majority of the distortion in any subwoofer when the amp isn't clipping) by none other than Siegfried Linkwitz doesn't count? He's measured a Shiva running at a moderate level - 23V applied - and found well below 10% THD. Extrapolate that to in-box, and you're at 90 dB SPL at 20 Hz, anechoic for that level of drive.