What's new

Are there good Headphones I can buy at . . .Best Buy . . (1 Viewer)

Brian Elwood

Stunt Coordinator
Looking for some good Headphones (the kind with foam cushions) that I can buy at regular stores.

IS there such a thing? Does not have to be cordless.

Jeremy_R

Stunt Coordinator
Circuit City carrys a nice pair of Panasonic headphones for $30. I've had these for about 6 months and they sound great and are comfortable to wear. The model number is RP-HT355

Brandon A

Agent
http://www.headfi.org
biggrin.gif

Greg-ST

Stunt Coordinator
Best Buy sells a couple Sony models in the $100 range. I have the Sony MDR-V600's that were purchased there for $100 a number of years ago. They still shouldn't be that expensive. You can pay a good deal less if purchased online (or called in somewhere to buy a pair).

They're pretty nice headphones though. Great range (they go deep) and clarity.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Take Brandon's advice and search the reviews at HeadFi. Then see which of those interest you and can also can be had a BB.

HeadFi lead me to a pair of Sennheiser 100's that were pretty inexpensive, but sound quite nice. I would never have known of these w/o HeadFi.

BGL

Brian Elwood

Stunt Coordinator
Well - I went to the other forum - tough to read 300 reviews of headphones - I need Cliff Notes!

Are there brands that are ALWAYS good?

Looks line Sennheiser and Grado and AKG comes up a lot. People think Sony suck and they have a Boss-like following in hatred over there

would go with grados. I have the sr80s and love them. Don't know that they carry them at best buy, but know that you can get them online (and have seen them sold at a bunch of retail places i've been to). Only caveat is that they are open eared. don't know whether that affects your decision. Sennheisers are quality as well (i had a pair as well), but i think grados are unequivocally better.

best of luck

Lev-S

Second Unit
I could have bought anything at Future Shop with my staff discount, but I chose buying a pair of Grado SR-80s!

Brian Elwood

Stunt Coordinator
Grados and Sennhauser(sp) seem to be the 2 lines everybody likes. Can't find Grados anywhere but online. I'll shop online I guess.

The QUESTION is I want cans and can not decided on open ear of closed.

Closes sounds like there might be a lot of pressure. I'm looking of living room headphones for when the wife is sleeping - probebly more for movies then music - does it matter?

DaveHo

Supporting Actor
I've got the Grado SR-80's as well. Sound fantastic, but the ear cushions can take a little getting used to. Now that I've had them for a while I can wear them for a couple of hours no problem. An added bonus of the Grado's is that they are easy to drive if you'd like to use them with portable equipment as well. They are an open design though. If you the volume turned up to a decent level, it will be audible from several feet away. I use mine at work and I have to be careful not to disturb others in adjacent cubes.

-Dave

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
I have the Grado SR-60 and the Sennheiser HD600. I also have a Headroom Total Bithead. The HD600 is definately the superior headphone in both sound and comfort (should be considering the cost difference). But the SR-60 is a very fun headphone to listen to (colors the sound but in a good way).

Couple thoughts to keep in mind with your decision. If you will be spending any significant amount of time travelling with them, open headphones are not a good choice. You have to have them too loud to drown out external sounds. Closed headphones have a definate advantage here with in ear canal headphones having the biggest advantage.

If you won't be traveling with them open headphones tend to be more comfortable (your ears can breathe) and allow you to hear your environment (phone, people, etc).

Circumaurial are way more comfortable. The SR-60 starts to annoy me greatly after an hour or two. I've used the HD600 for 8 hours straight with no comfort issues. There are pages that list modding methods to turn Grado headphones into circumaurial headphones.

Sennheiser has also recently released their 5X5 line. These are circumaurial, price competative with the Grados you are looking at and have been given great reviews by Headroom.

MikeNg

Second Unit
I have the Grado SR-225's. Very nice, but if you are planning on listening while the other half is sleeping and would like to crank it, open air may not be the best.

IMO, the Grado design is great when listening to music. The soundstage and FR is just phenomenal. But if I let these things rip, my wife can hear them in the next room. They can be a little uncomfortable, but I've gotten used to them.

So you might want to consider a closed design, which tends to be more quiet, and is also better when there's ambient room noise (if that's a concern).

This would be a departure, but I'm hearing good things about the Shure E series earbuds (no pun intended). I ordered a pair of E3c's which are also used for pro stage in-ear monitors. The sound isolation is supposed to be pretty good, as well as the dynamic range. Anyway, if you got a set of those, you could also use them with your portable, on the plane, etc.

Mike

Brandon A

Agent
If you are only going to use them for watching tv/movies/music while the wife is asleep in the other room, open/closed won't matter. But for versatility I might recommend closed. They also help if there is anything annoying/distracting that you'd rather not hear (a roommate).

I personally do not find Grado's comfortable, but that's me.

I have a pair of Audio-Technica A900s and I love them! Very comfortable closed phones.

[url=http://www.audiocubes.com/product_i...products_id=317]http://www.audiocubes.com/product_i...products_id=317[/url]

Its hard to find them, even online, but I got them here without any problems, good store.

You kind of opened the floodgates. All you wanted was a recommenedation for some simple headphones you could pick up at the store
wink.gif

The amount of options may be overwhelming, but I would say that it is worth it. Headphones are really an enjoyable experience and it is worth your time to get the best ones for you.

P.S. Along with the Shure E earbuds there is also the Etymotic earCANAL phones. These provide the ultimate isolation and sound pretty great, though they can be a little awkward to get used to.

Brian Elwood

Stunt Coordinator
I purchased TWO pair LOL

Grado SR80s for music

Senns HD 580s for movies

Actually I purchased one and then was reading MORE and went for the other. Now. I'll test both with the idea of selling the other on ebay . . . . .or just keep

Have to burn both in though! work work work.
both
blush.gif

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
at Best Buy? Koss Portapros, Sennheiser PX100, Sony XD200

Xander H

Agent
Just to chime in I love my Sennheiser HD590s. Best money I ever spent on headphones, the sound difference when listening to music is just incredible.

Jonny*D

Agent
I'm loving my Koss PortaPro. They also make the KTX Pro 1 (with volume control) and KSC-55 (behind the neck) I have all three. All sound great with the same element. I know I got my KSC-55 at Comp USA for $25. The portapro lists on the Koss site for $50 but you can get them online for about $33. I believe Circuit City sells the Portapro 2

When I lived in NYC, some guy from J&R Music recommended the Portapro to me over any other headphone. I've been using them for 5 years (and if they break, Koss has a lifetime warranty)

John_RO

Stunt Coordinator
I love my koss pro 35's. They have great low end and smooth highs. Best $20 i ever spent. The new version of these (the Koss KTXPro1) can be had for $25 at Amazon. They used to be $15 but I guess they raised the price. Still way worth it. The Porta Pro's are $50 and have a bit more refined sound. BTW, I only use my headphones for an MP3 player.

JOHN

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks