What's new

Are the Jethro Tull remasters better than the Gold discs? (1 Viewer)

Steve_AS

Second Unit
And yeah, that MFSL vinyl version of Aqualung is the one I've got... again, no documentation, but I gotta wonder if that isn't a remix as well as a remaster... no other release -- including the original vinyl -- sounds anything like that one, with its clear, pronounced bass and overall full, rich 3-D presence... if that's what is actually on the master tapes, then very few of us will have ever really heard Aqualung as intended... at which point one wonders what the other master tapes sound like.
AFAIK The MoFi vinyl isn't a remix, but it was differently EQ'd compared to other releases of the album.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Last I heard, the Aqualung master tape was in Ian Anderson's garage, and that Steve had a very, very hard time convincing Ian to give it up for a few days.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I can't comment on a comparison with the gold discs, since I don't have those, but would mention that these remasters are copy protected, and won't play on my Mac, despite claims on the packaging to the contrary.

I have not yet listened to these extensively or done side by side comparisons with the old discs either. I am looking forward to remasters of Stormwatch and Broadsword as well.

gregD

Second Unit

Well, now I'm really confused... wonder what is actually on the Aqualung (or any other Tull) master tapes?... the ultra-rich sonics on the MoFi vinyl? -- or the typically dead mix heard on most Tull albums (up to the late-70s, anyway)?

And why is IA storing the masters in that crappy garage???

So many questions...

Steve_AS

Second Unit
I have read reports that discs manufactered outsid ethe States are copy protected. None of ones I bought here (I have all so far except Too Old) are copy protected; I can play them on my PC and rip tracks from them too.

As for remixes, if any of the instrumental parts are different, it's either a remix or an alternate mix; different 'sonics' does not necessarily indicate remixing..which is a much more labor-intensive endeavor than remastering.

Interestingly, at least one track on the 'Heavy Horses' remaster appears to be either a remix or alternate mix -- 'Rover' is missing some string parts that were on previous versions. The Tull spokesperson on www.jethrotull.com's fan board claims it's a new remix, not an old alternate mix, but that's weird because the rest of the remaster doesn't sound remixed.

There's also an unexplained level boost partway through the first track on the remaster.

Steve_AS

Second Unit
I have read reports that discs manufactered outsid ethe States are copy protected. None of ones I bought here (I have all so far except Too Old) are copy protected; I can play them on my PC and rip tracks from them too.
Btw, I later realized my Minstrel in the Gallery remaster was bought int he UK, and I can rip tracks from that to hard drive just fine...so I don't know where the copy protection perception is coming from.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks