What's new

Are Sphere, Virus, or Kull even worth $5? (1 Viewer)

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor

Especially considering that Sharon Stone belongs to a society comprised of people with the highest IQs in the world. She is, ironically, though truly, one of the most intelligent people on earth.

Ah well...I work at a university (one of the tops in North America) and watch smart people do stupid things everyday. Why should Sharon be any different? :)

Erik.Ha

Supporting Actor

Makes you wonder what she was thinking when she married Phil Bronstien...

But might explain why she said "hey honey... go pet that komodo dragon..." ;)

Frank@N

Screenwriter

With all this discussion about the film, think I need to move it up in 'to-be-watched' pool.

Still not expecting much, but I'm real curious now...

Read they shot this while on a break (!) during 'Wag the Dog'. Bizarre.

Also read that the commentaries are entertaining: Hoffman complains about having to do an 'effects' project and Jackson is, well, himself.

Terry St

Second Unit

Anyways, my guess would be that your best bet would be to skip all there of these titles and pool that cash to buy one decent DVD. Might I suggest "Once Upon a Time in the West" if you haven't already picked it up. It should be under $15 most places. Great movie. Great transfer. Great extras. Cheap price.

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
I actually met the director of Virus at a comic book convention, considering it's source material was a comic book. I had no idea who he was and wasn't very interested in seeing the movie except for the fact that Donald Sutherland was in it. I still have the lobby card that he signed and some promo stuff floating around my house. I still haven't even seen the movie and I still tell people, 'I've met the director of this film. Nice guy but I don't know about the movie.' Dunno if I should see it. Maybe I could post the picture of the lobby photo if you guys are interested?
I actually really enjoyed Sphere and was miffed that all the other parts of the future ship wasn't shown. I really like Michael Crichton and wish to work with him someday.
Sir! BACK AWAY from that DVD of KULL! Do it now! Sir, put it down! PUT IT DOWN!
There's my two bits.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Never seen Virus, but I've heard some pretty bad things about it.

Sphere was very disappointing; Crichton's novel was pretty good, but the movie didn't really do it justice. It has its moments, though.

Kull the Conqueror (not to be confused with 1983's Krull) is basically Conan-lite, as others have suggested. It's pretty forgettable, and extremely campy, but it's also kind of fun if you're in the right mood. And it doesn't take itself even remotely seriously for a second, so you can't really say it's disappointing. I imagine it'd be worth $5, if you look at it as a rental with a late charge or two. :)

Hope all that helps some.

Frank@N

Screenwriter

I've seen Krull new for $10, but that's about $9 too much from what I've heard (bad sci-fi/fantasy combo?).

Although the disc is loaded with extras, I suspect the movie is pure early 80's junk.

Kull, on the other hand, is newer movie with better production values and a pure fantasy delivery.

Seems like Kull could be 'Camp or Crap' depending on the viewer, take your pick.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Oh come on now. Kull is worth it just for Harvey Fierstien as Juba. "Oh Kull! You know I hate the smell of fish! POOCHIE!" :laugh:

Guess you had to be there....

Virus was terrible. Kinda reminded me of Moontrap actually. Similar ideas when it comes to the bad guys.

Loved the BOOK "Sphere". The movie...meh.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck

Eh, it's another one that can be fun if you're in the right mood. It's one of the entries in the post-Star Wars boom of sci-fi/fantasy in the early-'80s, but at least there's some genuine imagination in it. And it also features a really good Star Trek-era James Horner score.

There are some pretty tedious stretches, though.

Frank@N

Screenwriter
OK, couldn't resist putting Sphere on...somehow movies with mixed reviews are more tempting that those with huge praise.

I had 'Chicago' for months before I got around to watching it.

Anyway...the Sphere DVD has really strong A/V, wow!!!

Given that this is a 1998 release, I'm stunned.

My previous view (last night) was White Squall (muddy LBX-only), so Sphere is a revelation.

The production values and effects are also very good (although clearer shots of the huge ship and monster would have been appreciated).

As for content, I've been on the edge of my seat most of the time...but as the crew number dwindles so does some my interest.

Seems like the characters are starting to put things together...only stopped watching to catch an Ebay auction.

Going to finish now...

Frank@N

Screenwriter
I'm giving Sphere 'Thumbs up'.

I kept waiting for the whole thing to fall apart in the end, but that Crichton guy sure knows how to spin an intriguing tale.

I would also consider this one of my better DVDs in terms of A/V performance, not bad.

I also have a marked-down copy of 'Congo' sitting on the shelf, hope I'm as happy with that disc.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
If I recall, Sphere was just Forbidden Planet underwater. I'd buy FP before Sphere, and pay more for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks