1. (I'm asking on the Software Board because I believe the value of a DVD is a combination of film content, extras, and A/V performance)

I've see these three movies around on DVD for $5, but I'm not sure if they're worth the space on my incredibly shrinking racks:

Sphere (1998, used for $5): spooky sci-fi mind-game, or undersea space junk?

Virus (1999, new for $5): Aliens meets Outbreak, or vapid sci-fi trash?

Kull (1997, new for $5): hilarious B-fantasy sendup, or pathetic S&S junk.

I do like sci-fi and fantasy, but these movies have been accused of giving these genres a bad name.

2. Garrett Adams

Garrett Adams Supporting Actor

I never heard of Kull (1997). I have the 1983 Sci-Fi fantasy called Krull which is an enjoyable watch.

3. Jason Borchers

Jason Borchers Second Unit

4. ChrisBEA

ChrisBEA Screenwriter

Let's see.
    I've seen all 3 and own 2. Funny thing is, my favorite of the 3 is the one I don't own!

Sphere, best of the 3. I actually thought this was a well done move. Underrated in my opinion, although I think I'm in the minority.

Virus, worst of the 3. I picked it up of the walmart cheap rack. good A/V decent extras, but it is a really bad movie. I sometimes get in the mood for bad sci-fi and this fits the bill although I tend to grab Deep Rising first (there's a guilty pleasure)

Kull, eh. pop-Conan to a rock soundtrack. Not a good movie, but a decent conan style film.

I'd say all 3 are worth it for 5 bucks, if I had to choose 1 it would easily be Sphere.

5. Justin_S

Justin_S Producer

Sphere is a great little film in my book. I saw it in the theater opening day, and have loved it ever since. Extraordinarily underrated if you ask me, and its a steal at $5.

Virus has good effects and the awesome Donald Sutherland, but otherwise its not too good, pretty formulaic.

Never seen Kull, and I don't really care to.

6. Peter Overduin

Peter Overduin Supporting Actor

Sphere is much along the same lines as Event Horizon and is the best of the 3. Virus is still worth the fiver, but pass on Kull - S&S junk.

7. Scott Burke

Scott Burke Second Unit

Scott B.
    Sphere is a good film. I own it. I bought it when it was 15 bucks so 5 bucks is a killer deal.

8. EricW

EricW Cinematographer

Sphere has a great first half. the follow through is not so good.

also it has a classic trailer, which i'm not sure is on the disc.

9. Dean Kousoulas

Dean Kousoulas Second Unit

I really enjoyed Sphere and watch it every now and then. A steal at $5.

As for Virus, I remember Jamie Lee Curtis saying it was a mistake to be in that film. Enough said [​IMG]

Dean

10. Erik.Ha

Erik.Ha Supporting Actor

Not to rock the boat... but I would ask for $5 to watch Sphere again... I can remember a discussion I had with five or six others who sat there saying "Wow... they must have paid these three (I beleive it was SL Jackson, Dustin Hoffman and Sharon Stone?) a $HITLOAD of money to do this film." We all wondered what esle could make three a/b list actors work on that dud of a script and what went into their decision making process... We all imagined the call these three made to their agents...

"Im gonna Have to Pass on this one... I just can't do it... its the worst script I've ever re... They want to pay me HOW MUCH??? DAMN! Why didn't you say so in the first place???"

I also seem to remember some friends of mine and I nicknamed "Krull", "Krud" when we were about 13. Not sure if thats the same film or not...

Haven't seen Virus...

11. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

$5 is less than a second-run movie ticket here in Boston, FWIW. At that price, there are very few films I don't figure are worth one chance.

As to the films themselves, I thought Kull was an acceptable B-movie when I saw it in theaters, though not one I'd bother with a second time. Didn't see either of the others, especially Sphere, since I remember disliking Michael Crichton's novel pretty badly.

12. Dustin Harrison

Dustin Harrison Stunt Coordinator

I thought Sphere was a good movie (not great, but good). Don't know about the other two.

I'd say it's worth the $5 if you collect DVDs.

13. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I received Sphere free when I purchased my first DVD player back in 1998. At that price, I still feel like I was overcharged for this film. You couldn't pay me to watch it again.

14. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Sphere is enjoyable mainly to see Dustin Hoffman flailing around in an irredeemably shitty movie.

Virus is pretty bad, but as I recall it has a pretty good bass-heavy track so it could make a decent budget demo disc.

So I guess "very guarded recommendations" would be the phrase I'd use. Never seen Kull, so can't help you there.

15. Amy Mormino

Amy Mormino Supporting Actor

I saw all three of those films. They are all awful. Sphere probably annoyed me most as it had a good cast, director, and source material. Kull has a certain camp element, but is still terrible. Virus is just worthless in every way. Life is too short for those movies.

16. Dean Kousoulas

Dean Kousoulas Second Unit

I still say you made a good choice

17. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

"Sphere" is worth 5 $1.00 bills.

18. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    I think many people dislike Sphere due to the ending of the movie. However, this is exactly how it happened in the book...

19. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie

Stephen J. Hill
    I like my discount bin. Picked up The Virgin Suicides, Victory, and The Secret Garden for $6.88 Cdn each.