What's new

Are people hibernating this winter? (1 Viewer)

TonyiBe

Stunt Coordinator
Man,

I live in Tampa and its HOT over here i wish you guys lived down here by me because i have no clue on how to use a router, bicuit joining,etc....:frowning:

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Jeff,

The Solar-Lux Medium Red Mahogany dye is really nice stuff and will probably give you the color you're looking for. We're finishing up 3 A/V-1+'s in cherry veneer with this dye and it looks very nice. I should have some pics up on my website by the end of the week.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
As for DIY, I'm designing a cheap 2-way using the Dayton PT2 planar tweeter and a Dayton 6.5" woofer. It'll be my first ribbon tweeter experience. Crossover will probably be at like 3khz, 12db/2nd order.
Chris, please keep us posted with your results. At least we can live vicariously through you. :)

Also, I have been looking at ribbon tweeters too. Let us know what you think.

Andrus_R

Stunt Coordinator
Oh yeah one more thing, I've been checking out local hardware stores, homedepot , lowes etc. They seemed to be either low or out of 3/4" MDF. I then check out the T-nut section and them things(dimensions listed on Sun's site) are either out or very low.

Coincidence?????

I THINK NOT!

TonyiBe

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Jeff,,,,

But today i found that one of my network buddies is a woodworking Guru, i just came from his house and when i seen all the furniture this guy made my Jaw dropped to the floor. This guy is REAL good, for lunch we went to home depot to give me a tour of the tools i will need. I am psyched now.

I just don't know what to design first, shiva like the dharman, a solo tube shiva or a Tempest.....

Thanks,
YOu guys are AWESOME

P.S. A buddy of mine tells me i can never outdo his Belodyne HGS15. He says there no WAY...

Mark_E_Smith

Second Unit
Well I just spent last Saturday and yesterday testing MCM carbon fiber drivers 55-2321 and 55-1840 - 6.5" and 4" respectively, for a MMT or MTM design with the NEO3PDR, NEO8PDR or maybe the PT2. I did learn that doing TS with a CLIO is kinda cool, but it really makes a difference with the temp of the speaker. 45 deg vs 70 deg is a big change in the Fs and Qms when they are warmed by the coffee machine:D I was hoping to use the NEOs in a dipole but this looks like its not going to work out as they have anything but a flat response in a dipole alignment. So I am going to order the faceplate kit for the NEO3 and retest it. The MCM drivers are looking really impressive they sound so much better than the Dayton 6.5 and they are more efficient, allot. I have some experence with the HiVi RT2-C which is the brother of the PT-2 and it is pretty sweet. When its all said and done I may end up with that one instead of the NEO8PDR as it has to have a notch filter for a 5 dB rise @ 9KHz. But the waterfall on the NEOs is impresive.

So this is what things look like:

MTM - 2 4" MCM 55-1840 and NEO3PDRFP 18" X 6.5" X 9" external demisions ported box using .5" Baltic Birch port 2" X 3" F3 78 Hz perfect for HT with a sub to fill in the bottom. Shoud be able to hit ref in small to medium size rooms X-over in the 3K to 4K range. Maybe a zobel and a 1st order on the woofer with baffle step comp circuit. Second order on the ribbon this make a nice phase match across the x-over frequency.

MMT - 2 MCM 55-2321 and a large ribbon NEO8PDR or PT2
24" X 8'X 14" ported .75 MDF:frowning: tuned to F3 of 52 Hz cant remember the port diminsions crossing 2K to 3K with a zobel may be even a 1st order on the woofer w zobel and bc, second order on the ribbon.

The only thing I dont know how to do is x-max. Anyone have any suggestions on that one?

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
Warmth is wasted on the young and inexperienced
Hey, it may be warm and I may be inexperienced but I'm turning 21 on Valentines so I won't be the young one anymore. :D

The Dayton PT2 and 6.5" woofer will be a birthday gift from me, to me. I wish I could afford better components but my mommy won't let me. j/k

Mark, Where can I find the MCM drivers? I'd get Neo8s in a jiff but the PT2s are on sale at PE for $25.

Mark_E_Smith

Second Unit
You can go here for the 6.5":

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/Home/l...48&SKUID=78151

Would be great in a MMT for R/L and MTM for center with the PT2. Btw it doesnt look like the picture, it looks allot more like the Audax HM170CO here:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...number=296-073

Except the surround is humped out not in. It tests real close to the Audax but SPL not quite as smooth. I dont have the TS parameters that I ran here but the FS was 46 and the L10k was lower than MCMs spec. Very effecient speaker with very good voice reproduction. I broke it in on a Linda Ronstat cd. Great match for a ribbon and will cross higher than the dayton 305, however it is not shielded. The 4" CF MCM is shielded but only reaches to 4 k before taking a dive. But uses a smaller box.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Mark,

Sounds like the 55-2321 is a winner.. That's good to know
considering I am going to need 12 of those and 2 B-G RD-50
Planar's..

Thomas's bud Jon is working on a project Line Array using
6 of the CF Cone 6.5's from MCM mated with the B-G RD-50
Planar and I think he's going to use BPD 1803's on the low
side (Bi-Polar) one per cabinent.

I am just going to use one AV12 in a seperate enclosure and
substitute the bottom sub enclosures for sand filled risers.

It will be a good while before I even begin on that project
Jon is still designing the speakers and he is having back
problems too.. Hope they get him all fixed up, it's no fun
to be in pain!

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
I'm in a slump. I hate winter:angry: I only built 6 BoseBusters, two small subs and an experimental sub this winter. I'm not inspired to build any speakers now - that's wierd for me. Wait, I am looking forward to refurbishing my old H.H. Scott LK-48B integrated tube amp! I need to start ordering parts ASAP.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks