1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Are people hibernating this winter?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Sun, Feb 11, 2003.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

I think the DIY projects are moving at a crawl this winter. I can't really think of much I want to do for the spring when it warms up enough to work in the garage. Anyone else got the DIY blues?

2. Greg Yeatts

Greg Yeatts Second Unit

I have the DIY blues. I won't route in the garage because everything gets covered by MDF dust. This leaves Saturdays as the only time I can get anything done. Makes a project move awfully slow. Its also been to cold for glue to dry in my garage. Winter stinks. We need an eary spring.

3. Ronnie Ferrell

Ronnie Ferrell Second Unit

I want to veneer my sub! But my garage is too cold for the tung oil to dry... [​IMG] Well it would dry, but it would take at least 2 weeks per coat...

I wanted to use my power tools so bad last weekend, I resorted to making a "uber cat scratching post" out of some scrap MDF and sisal rope I had.

rf

4. ChristopherD

ChristopherD Stunt Coordinator

According to Punxatawny(sp?)Phil you're out of luck. As for me, I need to...continue to get to know my router, master veneer, buy and learn how to use a Jasper jig, build patience to sand for long periods of time, learn how to make straights cuts with my table saw, order A/V1+, and put all of the above into practice. Such are the positives of being new. More frustration, less consternation.

5. Lee Carbray

Lee Carbray Second Unit

I've got Mdf, a Shiva, a plate amp and a garage at -20 degrees C .[​IMG]

6. Seth_L

Seth_L Screenwriter

7. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Yeah, I'm the same way. I have some rear channel mini-bookshelfs and a new enclosure for my Shiva to build. However, it's too damn cold to be cutting MDF.

Maybe I'll have Home Depot cut it for me.

8. ChristopherD

ChristopherD Stunt Coordinator

I know what you mean.
    It was, like, 60 degrees yesterday. I almost had to put on a sweater.
    California [​IMG]

9. Chris Carswell

Chris Carswell Supporting Actor

I feel ya Chris. Today in FL it almost got below 65.......

10. Shawn Solar

Shawn Solar Supporting Actor

-17Celsius is Pretty cold for here. I got av1+'s on the go and two 12" subs I picked up from the adire OEM sale that will serve as stands for the av1+'s. Before that is done I have to build a garage so I have a place to work. Can't do that cause the ground is frozen. 60 degrees, The house is 64 degrees at night(timed thermostat). If the ground wasn't frozen I'd be outside right now[​IMG]

11. TimForman

TimForman Supporting Actor

Damn the cold, full speed ahead! I'm building my Adire LCC cabinet this weekend, despite the fact that they're backordered on AV8s. My garage is above freezing so that's good enough for me.

12. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

My garage is heated now so that is not an excuse. The
    excuse is that I am not doing any cutting in the garage
    I don't want MDF Dust on my Vette's (they are filthy as it
    is from me blowing a hole in the block for the new Stove's
    Chimney Pipe).

That plus the fact that I need to use my friends table saw
    and he won't cut inside his garage either... I have all the
    stuff laying here to build my AV-12 but have yet to start..
    [​IMG]

13. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

My new DIY amplifiers heat my room noticeably during the cold winter months. [​IMG]

Well, once those are completely done it'll be time for a mostly figured out DIY DAC, preamp and crossover. The Kit281s are doing fine... no reason for another speaker project just yet. So no, we're not all hibernating. But waiting for a Tumult is definitely a good reason to be hibernating.

14. Jeff Rosz

Jeff Rosz Second Unit

heya patrick,
    im gearing up. i just unloaded ten 5x5 boards of baltic birch (that i practically stole) this past saturday. three of which will be finely machined and crafted into a no holds barred tummy sub. the cutting starts tomorrow after i tune up the saws. should be 65 and sunny here. got some Disturbed burned on a cd to cut by too. some cocobolo(i need more), veneer, dye, forstners, and a few nick-nacks are in the mail. also been contemplating a vacuum press, we'll see. let the carnage begin.

oh,btw,patrick...the bing cherry dye you used on your speakers...would you describe it as having a "candy" appearance? this red is what i am trying to match, looks more like the mahogany brian bunge uses huh?

15. Jeffrey Noel

Jeffrey Noel Screenwriter

No DIY blues from me! I'm now painting my SCH K05B50 enclosures I just built on Saturday. It's amazing how fast you can cut using a jig-saw outside with a temperature fo 30 degrees F! [​IMG] The hammered paint job is coming out quite nice! Just letting it dry so I can start putting a polycrylic protective clear gloss on them.

Next up is a ~1cu.ft. enclosure for my 12"DVC. This will be going in my car. And then I'm going to build an enclosure(volume not decided on yet) for my ever so wonderful AV12. Boy that sub is a beauty!

I'm also learning how to use my new Bosch fixed base/plunge router combo. Love it so far!!

16. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

The weather was a bit wet today due to a storm, temperatures still remain in the 60s, 70s though here in Socal.

As for DIY, I'm designing a cheap 2-way using the Dayton PT2 planar tweeter and a Dayton 6.5" woofer. It'll be my first ribbon tweeter experience. Crossover will probably be at like 3khz, 12db/2nd order.

Then I'm gonna upgrade my GR-Research AV-3s to sonicaps.

Last I still need to primer and paint tempest #2 and spray on finish tempest #1. Oh, and make one amp box and paint my car's 2-way speaker enclosures.

17. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Jeff, that red on the B&W is a little darker than what I wound up with with the Bing Cherry, which is a bit darker than candy apple red, but shinier/brighter than the B&W finish. Of course, if you put more coats of the Bing Cherry you could come up with a deeper red, I guess.

18. Mike Nep

Mike Nep Stunt Coordinator

Just bought the MDF to build a pair of Ellis 1801's. It's raining here in San Diego for the first time in about two and a half months... Always rains when I need to pick up wood!!! Sorry about the -20 degree garages. Can't even fathom how cold that is. Anyone building anything else???

19. Jeff Rosz

Jeff Rosz Second Unit

right. the b&w's in person are not at all shiny. the pics at brian's site are the closest ive seen. i didnt order the bing cherry, i wanted to ask your opinion of it because website pics never look like real life. i ordered the mahogany red and i'll experiment with drops of black to darken it up, then some satin on top. thanks man, good thread.

20. Andrus_R

Andrus_R Stunt Coordinator