What's new

Are Monster Video 3 Component Cables good enough? (1 Viewer)

Steve Iseman

Agent
I've asked questions about component cables before, but I'm new at this stuff and it's more confusing than I first thought. I spent a lot of money on my TV so I want to at least get the most I can out of it at a reasonable price.

I recently purchase the Monster Video 3 2M component cables for $75 and did not really notice any difference over $25 RCA brand component cables that I had hooked up earlier. Oh yeah, my TV is a Mitsubishi WS-65819 Platinum Series and I have a Samsung Progressive Scan DVD player. Could I get better quality by going with the Monster M-Series, Bettercables Silver Serpents, AR Master Series, AudioQuest YIQ1, or anything else in the price range of these cables?

I guess there might not be a definite answer as to which component cables are best, but I was hoping that I could reach a decision that I would be satisfied with if I got the help of some expert opinions on this site.

Thanks is advance,

Steve

Mike Matheson

Second Unit
Steve,

Have you calibrated your set with Aiva or Video Essentials? Played with the convergence, etc.?

I ask this simply because I've seen sets so out of whack (i.e., using factory defaults) that if there was a difference between cables it would not be seen on that set.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
It's confusing in part because
a) virtually no one publishes specs nor does the consumer know what's required.
b) vendors give their cables very nice names and don't tell you what paying more gives you
c) the smarter vendors oem their cables so that you've no idea how much you've paid for stuff that costs pennies a foot.
d) review magazines don't want to say anything bad against their bread and butter advertising. the reviews rarely utilize any objective measurement and rely on flowery prose that doesn't mean squat. catch the reviewer on a bad day and watch it!
e) there's a ton of hype that means little to nothing to the consumer...OFC vs single crystal vs directional vs micropolish vs diamond drawn vs silver coated vs silver vs silver micropolished vs conditioned vs foil wrap insulation vs double shielded vs quad shielded vs the omnipresent RFI vs the omnipresent EMI vs things that go bump in the night.
If you're looking for cables that vastly exceed any specification your gear needs, Mark Rich as well as other can provide links to online sites.
Otherwise I'd suggest returning those while you have a chance and either keeping the ones you have or picking up a set of 12' GE component cables from Target or the Daytons from www.partsexpress.com
Calibrating the set is always a good idea. Professional calibration is wonderful also...quite pricey but wonderful.

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
I recently purchase the Monster Video 3 2M component cables for $75 and did not really notice any difference over $25 RCA brand component cables that I had hooked up earlier.
Nor are you likely to. Take back the Monsters, buy three DVDs with the money and count yourself lucky that you're not among the cable-obsessed who, for whatever reasons, see a difference. :D
Jan

Adil M

Supporting Actor
Everytime we get one of these posts the same couple of guys come in and push their opinions around. Well, I feel like doing the same.
Do cables make a difference?
Audio- undecided, but will start testing again
Video- I comparded a set of Monster 500Cv component cables to a set of Bettercables SS cables. The Bettercables were cheaper and sharper and the colors looked better "to me." Everytime I compare cables I just go to a couple of key scenes in Gladiatior. This comparison was compared on a Mits HD 55809 which has been "SPOT" calibrated. I have all the prereq equipment: Avia and a RS SPL. My JVC 70bk dvd player was also picked based on these subjective side by side tests in my home (looking around for a better player now). My MC hts1000 didn't do anything at home, but then maybe I have clean power, b/c it made a big difference in college.
I suggest that if you haven't tested cables yet, to simply buy two or three of the cables people are talking about and see if you see a difference. For starters put in the box cables and compare, then compare the others. Decide for yourself, all it takes is some initiative. As great as the internet is w/ answers a click away, sometimes you just got to DIY.

Mark Rich

Second Unit
For video cables I always suggest checking out the Broadcast cables. You know what you are getting. They have all the specs available on-line, meet industry (broadcast/production)standards and are built to last. Check carefully before you buy though because there are sellers out there who sell the same cables as others but hype them as boutique cables with prices to match.

RhinoCables.com Belden cables
HeartlandCables.com Canare cables
Bluejeanscables.com Canare/Belden cables
WickedCables.com Canare/Belden cables
KustomKables.com Canare cables
Cscables.com Belden/Canare cables
Avcables.com Gepco cables

Steve Iseman

Agent
Thanks guys.

I tried the Monster's because there was a money back guarantee. Seems like there is a money back guarantee with the others too so I guess it would not hurt to try them. I'm still waiting for my Avia guide to be delivered though so I may not have my TV set up to where I can notice any differences yet. I spent so much on the TV so I didn't want to skimp on the cables if they were going to make a difference. I went to a store where they gave me a side by side comparison with regular component cables and a set of Nordost Optix and I noticed a huge difference. Maybe it was the TV, but it was the same brand and they seemed to have it set up the same way so I'm not really sure. However, the Nordost Optix were over $300 and I wasn't ready to spend that much.

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
I did a quick test with my 42" RPTV, using new $25 gold-plated cables and an old set of A/V cables that came with something (i.e. cheapies). I can't swear that I saw any difference...but I did hook up the better cable after the test. :)
Then again, there are about 40 things I could do to tweak my set before I'd expect the cable to make any noticeable difference, and mine was hardly a scientific test.
My only gripe with expensive cables is that the advertising makes it seem as if you're going to see a huge improvement with them or that you're somehow starving your TV of bandwidth or poisoning it with noise or somesuch if you don't use premium cables from this particular company. They get people are paranoid and build false expectations for their product.
IMHO, of course.
Jan

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Adil M...i've no desire to get into an argument so please take this as a simple question. In the course of your evaluations, have there been any attempts to do a single blind test at all? Basically you'd be looking at say 10 comparisons and if you were able to hit it right say 8 times, it'd carry some statistical weight behind it also. And all scientists would tend to at least repeat their findings one more time. I've some general questions though about this, shall we say of a hypothetical nature...trying to get to the core of things that i'd like to bounce back and forth with you via PM if you're interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks