What's new

Do audiophile quality cables make a difference? (1 Viewer)

RonnieB2nd

Auditioning
Real Name
Ronnie Black
I bought a set of higher end towers from an older hobby hobbyist and he threw in these 2 weird looking, HUGE, braided cables. They have 4 banana plugs on one end and 2 on the other. They're Monster Z Series 3 (I THINK COULD BE 2) I started researching and found some for sale at embarrassing prices. One set was 800 dollars!! I honestly can't see ever paying that much for speaker cables, but have to ask. Do they make that big of a difference? I'll probably sell them for the best offer. But am going to try them out and compare

OLDTIMER

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ken S-B
Plenty of scientific blind tests have proved that the only things that matter in speaker cables are resistance of the cable and contact resistance. In most cases heavy duty mains power cables (or the like) work just as well as anything.

RonnieB2nd

Auditioning
Real Name
Ronnie Black
Plenty of scientific blind tests have proved that the only things that matter in speaker cables are resistance of the cable and contact resistance. In most cases heavy duty mains power cables (or the like) work just as well as anything.
Thats what I was thinking too...

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Owner
Real Name
Dave Upton
Pretty much. It has been proven that the crazier cable designs do have measurable capacitance, which extremely subtly affects the audio, but it's arguably beyond human perception. Ultimately, cable nervosa is just another way to transfer wealth from audiophiles to cable companies

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Besides blind A/B tests, the only other way to see any differences (whether audible or not) is to see the results of sinewaves on an oscilloscope.

willyTass

Supporting Actor
Besides blind A/B tests, the only other way to see any differences (whether audible or not) is to see the results of sinewaves on an oscilloscope.

which is why these studies have never been published in sites like Stereophile , The Absolute Sound , 6 moons etc . The purpose of high end power cables, interconnects , speaker cables is to fleece the customer

3dbinCanada

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ted
Yeah, the cable and interconnect industry are perpetuating legalized fraud. I wish there were a governing body to hold them to task. Proove your claim objectively or cease production. Audiophoies are gullable and have more money than common sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ofyclinic
Recent bookmarks