What's new

Are floor speakers needed? (1 Viewer)

Brian Johnson

Supporting Actor
Being totally new to HT and finally getting my first system I was curious about the need for floor standing speakers. Seeing as how its 'standard' to set all speakers to small to put bass(lfe i guess you call it) to the sub wouldnt that negate the need for big floor standing speakers? Right now I have a pair of older pioneer floor speakers as my mains. By setting them too small am I getting NO bass from them speakers? (I guess I could go check) What benefits are there to having large speakers in front? Seems I could get the same sound out of another pair of surrounds in the front & get a bigger TV :emoji_thumbsup:

Anthony Stephan

Stunt Coordinator
You are correct.

Unless your front floor standing mains can REALLY handle low bass. If you are buying a new set of speakers you could do well by just buying book shelf speakers all around.

But here's the caveat.

Do you listen to music in 2 channel?

If so, you may just want a pair of really sweet full range speakers. Depending on your receiver or pre/pro, you could set the speakers small for movies and large for music.

Brian Johnson

Supporting Actor
Yes, how easily I forget about music ... I just went and did some testing(music/stereo) set my fronts to large & turned the sub off-lacking bass big time, set the fronts to small & turned sub back on & you could feel it. I sort of inherited these fronts from my girlfriend and I think they are like 10 years old. The mid/high range sounds great, but i think the woofers are tired. Wouldnt I get the same sound Im getting now with music with a pair of bookshelfs? I have a great spot to the right & left lower sides of my entertainment center about 8 in wide x 17 inches tall. If I could get the same sound & stuff a pair of bookshelfs in there maybe I could get my girlfriend into putting the TV back in the middle of the room so I could get more of a direct sound in movies (the whole system now is sort of in the corner at an angle) However, my girlfriend is the music lover and I dont want her to lose anything in the deal.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Generally speaking, there shouldnt be a huge difference between the optimal placement for the mains for movies and the optimal placement for music. Also, under $600 or so, I would say that your better off getting bookshelves and suplimenting the low end with a good sub. Cheap floorstanders make too many sacrifices IMO. I have a pair of Paradigm Monitor 7s that are right at that $600ish price range. If I had it all to do over again, I would probably go with Paradigm Studio 20s. I am very happy with the 7s, I just think I might do it differently if I could just cash in my chips and start over.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks