Are CRT'S Really That Bad For Playing Video Games?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Anthony_Br, Mar 26, 2006.

1. Anthony_Br

Anthony_Br Agent

I have heard that CRT'S are terrible for playing video games because of the risk of picture fade and burn in. Is that true? I keep hearing that DLP's are the way to go because these issues won't happen on one of those. I can get a great deal on a CRT but I am hesitant because of the whole burn in/picture fade issue. Also do DLP and Plasma displays look THAT much better than a CRT (color wise) or will a CRT stand up to those fairly well? Any answers given would be much appreciated. Thanks!

2. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino

I don't think DLP and Plasma look better at all. To the contrary, in terms of sheer image quality I think CRT direct view is still the winner. It provides a sharp, bright image that the other technologies can't quite match. They trade some aspects of image quality for some other desirable trait like cost at a given size, light weight, compactness, the ability to be hung on the wall.

Regards,

Joe

3. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

There is a MASTER BURN-IN THREAD at the top of this forum which you will find enlightening.

I wouldn't be overly concerned with direct-view CRTs that are properly calibrated with a reduced white level, and similar with RP-CRTs with reduced white level.

4. Anthony_Br

Anthony_Br Agent

So basically as long as things on screen stay don't static for a long time and I calibrate my TV correctly, having a CRT shouldn't be a problem? Thanks alot for both of you guys advice. It has helped me greatly!

5. RickRO

RickRO Stunt Coordinator

Mostly if you calibrate your TV and turn down the brightness/contrast you should not have a problem.

I have a small 13" CRT TV that my kids use for about 85% PS2 and 15% regular TV....I have turned down the brightness and used a THX disc for just a quickie calibration and have not had any issues of burn in almost 2 years of use.

Hope this helps

Rick

6. Steve Berger

Steve Berger Supporting Actor

There is also a huge difference in burn-in potential between analog standard resolution sets and HD ready progressive TVs. Manufacturers had pretty much eliminated burn-in until progressive scan appeared a few years ago.