What's new

Are CRT'S Really That Bad For Playing Video Games? (1 Viewer)

Anthony_Br

Agent
I have heard that CRT'S are terrible for playing video games because of the risk of picture fade and burn in. Is that true? I keep hearing that DLP's are the way to go because these issues won't happen on one of those. I can get a great deal on a CRT but I am hesitant because of the whole burn in/picture fade issue. Also do DLP and Plasma displays look THAT much better than a CRT (color wise) or will a CRT stand up to those fairly well? Any answers given would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

I don't think DLP and Plasma look better at all. To the contrary, in terms of sheer image quality I think CRT direct view is still the winner. It provides a sharp, bright image that the other technologies can't quite match. They trade some aspects of image quality for some other desirable trait like cost at a given size, light weight, compactness, the ability to be hung on the wall.

Regards,

Joe

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
There is a MASTER BURN-IN THREAD at the top of this forum which you will find enlightening.

I wouldn't be overly concerned with direct-view CRTs that are properly calibrated with a reduced white level, and similar with RP-CRTs with reduced white level.

Anthony_Br

Agent

So basically as long as things on screen stay don't static for a long time and I calibrate my TV correctly, having a CRT shouldn't be a problem? Thanks alot for both of you guys advice. It has helped me greatly!

RickRO

Stunt Coordinator
Mostly if you calibrate your TV and turn down the brightness/contrast you should not have a problem.

I have a small 13" CRT TV that my kids use for about 85% PS2 and 15% regular TV....I have turned down the brightness and used a THX disc for just a quickie calibration and have not had any issues of burn in almost 2 years of use.

Hope this helps

Rick

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
There is also a huge difference in burn-in potential between analog standard resolution sets and HD ready progressive TVs. Manufacturers had pretty much eliminated burn-in until progressive scan appeared a few years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks