What's new

Are all Paradigm Mini Monitors shielded? (1 Viewer)

Nathan_W

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nathan
I was trying to get a pair from someone on eBay and asked if they were. He said he didn't think so. The center (cc-370) he had had a sticker that said it was, but the Mini's didn't. He also said he had his Monitor 7's about 6 inches from his TV with no problems.

So, anyone know? I plan on putting them pretty close to the TV also.

Off topic:

What do you think about matching the Mini's (v.2) with a cc-170 (v.3) that I might also be able to get? I guess the cc-370's recommended, but I have some space issues. What about matching v.2 with v.3, is that ok?

Thanks.

Phuong

Stunt Coordinator
Except for the center channel speakers and the lower-tier Cinema Series speakers, Paradigm speakers are usually not magnetically shielded. You can order most of their speakers in a "MagneShield" version, which come only in black--but like I said, it usually requires an order to get them because they cost more, and most "musical speakers" aren't expected to have shielding. For some reason, the shielding thing is cultural, too. Some audio snobs associate shielding with a "video/home theater speaker," which they believe to be inferior to a "musical speaker." Mini-monitors should be able to compete quite well with anything, to within its limits (60Hz and above), with speakers costing many times more.

I wouldn't recommend putting any non-shielded speakers close to the television set. It's not worth the risk of possibly having the TV de-gaussed to get rid of the nasty purple effect. As for the center channel, the very best thing is to buy a magneshield Mini and place it vertically above or below TV (a la THX). Most people won't do it because a vertical center speaker looks weird. In the case of the CC170, I see no problem with the mixing and matching dilemma you find yourself in. If you're running a Dolby Digital crossover and running all speakers SMALL, you'll get the most out of all the speakers and minimize issues with different woofer sizes. And from what I can tell, the only difference between v.2 and v.3 is the dimpled plate on which the tweeter is mounted. In the end, these hardware issues are overrated and designed to give us all incentive to upgrade and keep these companies profitable.

Good luck and happy listening

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
I have had my unshielded mini monitors about 8 inches away from TV for about 3 months now and no problems at all!!

Nathan_W

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nathan
Thanks for the helpful tips everyone.

Phuong:

How close is too close? 6 to 8 inches anywhere near what you'd suggest?

Dave Schofield

Second Unit
FWIW the shielded Minis cost an extra $50 at MSRP.

6" is very, very close to a TV. If you don't have problems at that distance you are lucky. Secondly, why put the speakers that close? Unless you are sitting very close to the TV, the speakers should be at least 2 to 3 feet away from the TV (make an equilateral triangle with you and your speakers at the corners).

I have the CC-370 to go along with Monitor 7 mains and I really would not recommend mixing with the "Performance Series". The key difference is the tweeter, the 370 has a 1" Titanium while the 170 has 3/4" Ceramic Metal Composite. The Mini's tweeter matches the CC-370's.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I was quoted $30 extra to add shielding, but I didn't want to wait 3 weeks. I would not recommend having them less than 5 feet apart though, and they like to be set well away from the wall.

I have Titans as rears, and Minis as mains. The difference in tweeter is honestly, barely noticable at all.

There will be no difference between V2 and V3 sonically.

Nathan_W

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nathan
I live in Hawaii and don't believe there are any Paradigm dealers here. That's why I'm buying used, so not much choice.

The reason they'd have to be quite close is simply because I'm in a studio apartment with not much space. Getting creative may allow me to space them out further, but due to the shape of the apartment and furniture (some unmovable) they may not be placed at 'exactly' the same height. I'll have to be creative w/ concrete blocks or something as speaker stands.

What's a safer compromise?

Thanks

Dave Schofield

Second Unit
If you are getting a good price on the CC-170 by all means mix and match. It isn't "ideal", but nothing ever is :) Look into getting some inexpensive speaker stands for the Minis. A decent pair shouldn't set you back any more than $50 (you can, of course, pay much more than that...:))
Here is the dealer locator, if that helps: Link Removed

Bob Cal

Stunt Coordinator
I have one of my Mini's about 8-10'' from the left side of my TV for a good deal of the time. When I am listening to music or a watching a DVD I move it away from the TV. Approx 3 Ft to give me the proper listening setup. The reason I have to leave it so close is that it is in a walk way and cannot leave it there permanently. But I have not had a problem with my TV .

I am interested in V2 to V3, is this the Monitor Series and does anyone have the V3. I cannot find anyone who has V3 in the Monitor series. Everytime I email Paradigm they tell me no such animal exists and it is only the Performance Series has changed.

I am looking at the Studio Series as well for possible upgrade.

Bob

Dave Schofield

Second Unit
The versions really don't matter much. The only changes are either cosmetic or internal, and the internal changes are inaudible.

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
The monitors are only up to v2. There is very little difference between the different versions.

I have the Minis and CC-370 up front and Titans in the rear. I did some extensive comparison between the Titans and the Minis. There is not much of a difference. The Titans 3/4 CMC tweeter doesn't hit the mids as well. The Minis have a better midrange, while the Titans sounded a little harsher in the top end. Will you notice this difference between the CC-170 and minis?, probably not. The only way I could distinguish the difference was to quickly switch back and forth, after listening for a minute they sounded almost identical.

As far as space is concerned, I hear you. The CC-370 is huge (and heavy). The top of my TV is not very deep, so I had to build little supports for the back to make sure it didn't fall back.

I would get the CC-170. It sounds like it will work better overall for you. I don't think you will ever notice the difference. I am sure there is a little difference there somewhere, but if you don't let it bother you it will be fine.

Nathan_W

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nathan
Thanks for the additional responses everyone.

Ok, so, say I end up putting the unshielded Mini's around 8-10 inches away from my TV and see no problems while actually watching TV. Can they still be doing some other kind of damage to the set?

Thanks

Dave Schofield

Second Unit
No, they won't do any lasting damage to the set. If you do get any discoloration in the corners just turn off and unplug the set for 10-15 and it will naturally degausse itself.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If you don't see distortion on the screen, then there should be no damage. I've had my Minis fairly close to my set when moving things around, with little or no distortion - about 6 inches. My Titans, in my bedroom however, did cause distortion with the set in that room, and they were also about 6" away, and separated by a wood shelf, so it is kind of hard to say, really. Just move them away until there is no distortion.

My center channel sits on top of my TV, and while it doesn't cause any obvious visible distorton while the set is on, when I turn it off, there is a bit of "ghosting" on the top edge.

If you SEE distortion in the picture/color, and leave it that way, permanent damage could result over a period of time.

Tony Baker

Grip
If your TV has it's own speakers on the sides do you still need to worry about unshielded speakers. I would think the TV would have some built in shielding for it's own speakers.

Dave Schofield

Second Unit
I believe that the internal speakers are shielded, not the tube itself. I have no concrete facts to back that up, though.

Shayne Judge

Stunt Coordinator
Nathan: Just for information, since you are looking at the Paradigm speakers on ebay, those listed under the username belash are mine. Good luck in your selection of speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks