What's new

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Seems like it's probably not only the ATV4K (Gen 1) having this/some issue w/ Prime's TNF live stream broadcasts...

I don't normally follow NFL anymore or I'd check it out myself (on my ATV4K Gen 2 and my PC)...

_Man_
So far, around here issues have only been reported by folks using 1st gen Apple TV 4k devices. I have not seen anyone mention using an Amazon Fire or Chromecast device, though. After watching the first three quarters on my Roku Ultra with no problems, I watched the final quarter in our bedroom on a 4K Roku Soundbar and everything was fine. My 86 year old mother has a Roku Express and a measly 50Mbps Internet connection, and she's had no issues -- except being able to find the Prime Video app on the device. She's had to call me the past two weeks for help launching the app -- she's about as technically illiterate as it gets. :laugh:

It's been a while since I've experienced these types of issues, but having multiple device types available still seems like a good idea.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I just noticed Amazon has these for $120/$140 for the 32/64GB models.
I was going to order a Gen 2 model today (got some Amazon credits from my monthly credit card statement), but the price was back up to $168. I guess I will wait for the next sale. I am not paying that much for a new unit when I already own other options.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Well, this week's TNF live stream worked fine on my ATV 4K Gen 1, so I celebrated yesterday by setting up the Gen 2 I probably didn't need to buy.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Tonight's game was working fine on my 1st gen ATV4K.
Yep. Now that I have the second 4K Gen 2 I’ll probably move the 4K Gen 1 to the bedroom. Even though that system won’t be 4K in the foreseeable future, the days for ATV Gen 3 in there are limited.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
FYI, the 2nd Gen ATV4K is on sale again at Amazon - - this time for $110. I decided to order one. Cost me about $75 out of pocket after applying rewards points. I will probably take my 1st Gen box down to our South Carolina condo - - I have a Roku Ultra with Dolby Vision support there, but have an available HDMI input on the soundbar .

compson

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
This has been rumored but appears to be more or less confirmed: “Also in the works: an Apple TV with an A14 chip and 4 gigabytes of memory.”

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The new Apple TV 4K starts at $129 and can be ordered beginning Tuesday. It hits stores Nov. 4.

Suddenly the "awesome" blowouts recently aren't so awesome. 💩

However, the base model no longer has ethernet (weird), but the step up model is still only $150. I'm actually a little pissed.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin

However, the base model no longer has ethernet (weird), but the step up model is still only $150. I'm actually a little pissed.
Apple also doubled the storage on both 4K models, and eliminated the HD model entirely.

Dropping a wired internet connection is not all that odd. Both Roku and Amazon have limited the option of a built-in wired connection to their premium models for years - Roku Ultra and Amazon's Fire Cube (which also just received a refresh).

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

My 2nd gen model just arrived the other day, and I have not opened it yet. I may just send it back to Amazon.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I returned the 2nd Gen model purchased at Amazon for $110. I could re-order for the $100 price, but think I will just wait and get the 3rd Gen model for $30 more sometime down the road.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks