What's new

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I broke down towards the end of the 1st time this price drop happened... thinking it was such a great deal that might not happen again for a long time, if ever, plus I had some Best Buy promo GCs from buying Apple/iTunes GCs I wasn't too likely to use anytime soon... but of course, we're finding this to be a fairly frequently recurring price point now...

Still, no regrets... although I still haven't even opened the box after 2 months and still not sure where I'd put/use it (as I didn't actually *need* it), LOL...

Yeah, I sometimes (or maybe too often? :lol:) have a hard time passing up on a (apparent) great deal... much to my wife's chagrin, LOL...

_Man_

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I broke down towards the end of the 1st time this price drop happened... thinking it was such a great deal that might not happen again for a long time, if ever, plus I had some Best Buy promo GCs from buying Apple/iTunes GCs I wasn't too likely to use anytime soon... but of course, we're finding this to be a fairly frequently recurring price point now...

Still, no regrets... although I still haven't even opened the box after 2 months and still not sure where I'd put/use it (as I didn't actually *need* it), LOL...

Yeah, I sometimes (or maybe too often? :lol:) have a hard time passing up on a (apparent) great deal... much to my wife's chagrin, LOL...

_Man_
I picked up the newer version at $109 on Amazon. Sold my older 4k apple unit for $70 on eBay.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Did you run into issues, or just the general cumbersome need to login to a bunch of streaming services?
No issues just the loading of login info to the different apps. Some apps are better than others in that regard while some are kind of wonky. Anyhow, I got the second Gen 2 ATV4K unit up and running and did so a lot faster than the first unit.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Well, my ATV 4K Gen 1 is having the same issue with video stuttering on the Prime TNF broadcast. It is on WiFi, but the connection is at least 450Mb/s as confirmed by Speedtest. Plus, it doesn't act like a speed problem. It seems like a app/OS problem. The video will play fine for a minute or two, then the video will stutter for about 30 seconds as the audio continues.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If I really want to troubleshoot it I need to swap them since the Gen 1 is on WiFi and the Gen 2 is wired. Or I could just disconnect the ethernet on the Gen 2.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Well, my ATV 4K Gen 1 is having the same issue with video stuttering on the Prime TNF broadcast. It is on WiFi, but the connection is at least 450Mb/s as confirmed by Speedtest. Plus, it doesn't act like a speed problem. It seems like a app/OS problem. The video will play fine for a minute or two, then the video will stutter for about 30 seconds as the audio continues.
With streaming video, speed alone isn't a guarantee of peak performance. The bigger concern is jitter, or variations in speed during the transmission. Since the problem is only present with the new device I wonder if it requires a higher overall bit rate to the point of intermittently choking your connection.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
With streaming video, speed alone isn't a guarantee of peak performance. The bigger concern is jitter, or variations in speed during the transmission. Since the problem is only present with the new device I wonder if it requires a higher overall bit rate to the point of intermittently choking your connection.
BTW, it only happens with Prime. I’ve never seen it with any other service.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

It's w/ his older Gen 1 ATV4K, not newer Gen 2. Plus Prime's bitrates seem pretty lame and substantially lower than all the better services/platforms like iTunes, Disney+, MoviesAnywhere, probably also Vudu (at least for the HD streams, if not also 4K), etc anyway.

Also, Prime seems to have no qualms just seriously dropping quality (and likely bitrates) as the app/service sees fit. IF the issue is mainly only w/ using Prime, I'd just chalk that up mostly as Amazon's fault much more than anything else...

Some other services like NetFlix might possibly also inherit some of Amazon's Prime issues, if it's in their backend, since they (like NetFlix) may be using Amazon's streaming AWS to host their backends...

_Man_

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
You made me curious, so I switched over to my 1st Gen ATV4K and immediately experienced the same stuttering video. That device and my Roku Ultra sit in the same rack one shelf apart and both connect via WiFi. I have never experienced that issue on the ATV4K with any app, including Prime Video. Must have something to do with the combo of hardware, app and live broadcast stream (versus video on demand stored on their servers).

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You made me curious, so I switched over to my 1st Gen ATV4K and immediately experienced the same stuttering video. That device and my Roku Ultra sit in the same rack one shelf apart and both connect via WiFi. I have never experienced that issue on the ATV4K with any app, including Prime Video. Must have something to do with the combo of hardware, app and live broadcast stream (versus video on demand stored on their servers).
Very helpful. Thanks.

It makes it unwatchable.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I only watched the second half. I had no issues with my new ATV 4K unit in my home office. Next week, I'll try to watch the game with my other new ATV 4K unit in my main HT set-up.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I only watched the second half. I had no issues with my new ATV 4K unit in my home office. Next week, I'll try to watch the game with my other new ATV 4K unit in my main HT set-up.
The 4K Gen 2 seems to work fine. I also got a Gen 2 to replace my Gen 1 but haven't set it up yet. This week was mostly taken over with elderly parents duties and multiple doctor visits, so I haven't exactly felt like messing with less-than-necessary tech crap.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Seems like it's probably not only the ATV4K (Gen 1) having this/some issue w/ Prime's TNF live stream broadcasts...

I don't normally follow NFL anymore or I'd check it out myself (on my ATV4K Gen 2 and my PC)...

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks