What's new

Apple rumored to be Buying Older TV Shows and Films to Bolster TV Plus (1 Viewer)

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Guys, according to certain web sites, and a Blumenthal source (May 19, 2020), it was mentioned that Apple was interested in buying older tv shows and films to bolster TV Plus. Do you think they include some harder to find and rare tv series. I'm not a big fan of current tv, but I do enjoy finding older short lived series I missed the first time around. "The Powers that Be," "Fired Up," "Committed," and "Hot Properties," are some of those who should be more readily available. I would hate it if Apple just repurchased Friends or Seinfield again. Any other comments about what or how Apple is purchasing here? Am I totally wrong? Opinions wanted?

---jthree

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
As low hanging fruit that isn't "too big", they can try gobbling up a smaller but significant operation such as MGM or Lionsgate. It would require the shareholders to agree to a buyout, though the latter can be dealt with as a "hostile takeover" since Lionsgate is a publicly traded company.

Last edited:

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
You may want to check out this thread which has been discussing it at length:

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
You may want to check out this thread which has been discussing it at length:

thank you EricSchultz. Didn't remember to check out the streaming forum.
--jthree

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I wonder if Apple is in the running to show Cobra Kai now that Youtube has released it. Of course, to do that, they would have to buy Sony

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I wonder if Apple is in the running to show Cobra Kai now that Youtube has released it. Of course, to do that, they would have to buy Sony

There's been all kinds of speculation over the years that Sony has been having major problems. For example at the consumer electronics business, Sony's brand seems to have become "average" to "below average" over the past 10-15 years. Nowadays the "top dog" in consumer electronics seems to be brand names like LG and Samsung, which were barely a blip on the radar screen back in the 1990s and early-2000s. In contrast, Sony was one of the "top dogs" in consumer electronics back in 1980s and 1990s (ie. trinitron, walkman, etc ...).

Except for maybe the Playstation4, I can't think of anything else these days which would command a premium price for Sony products.

In the event that Sony gives up their movie studio business (ie. Columbia/Tristar, etc ...), most likely it will be when Sony can no longer "paper up" problems on their financial statements.

Apple buying up Sony in its entirety, would probably be completely pointless nowadays. Essentially they will just be buying a "has been" brand name.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Apple buying up Sony in its entirety, would probably be completely pointless nowadays. Essentially they will just be buying a "has been" brand name.

However, Sony still has one major asset that is valuable - Columbia Pictures and the libraries of Columbia Pictures, Tri-Star,Screen Gems/Columbia Pictures Television.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks