What's new

Apopcalyptic film recomendations? (1 Viewer)

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
I'm looking for some good apocalyptic films in the vein of Terminator 2 and Fight Club, can someone give me any good recomendations? thanks.
------------------
-Keith-

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
The best Apocalyptic film in my book is Miracle Mile. A great tale and well told. Very tightly woven and personal.
The first half of the Stand is also very good for this purpose.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I liked Deep Impact although many did not.
------------------
Link Removed
15354t.jpg

------------------
My Favourite Movie

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't say it's good but you could always try "Damnation Alley".

Brad_W

Screenwriter
I loved Deep Impact! Miracle Mile is also a very great Apocalyptic movie. I don't understand though why you think Fight Club is an Apocalyptic movie. Def Con 4 is something of an apocalyptic movie... sorta in a kinda way. But, not that good.
------------------
"I was born to murder the world." -Nix (Lord of Illusions)
My Home Page http://www.geocities.com/masternix/DVD.html
My List O' DVDs:
Link Removed

SteveRS

Stunt Coordinator
I have to agree with Edwin.
Damnation Alley was my first thought.
George Peppard and Jan-Michael Vincent launching their nuclear missiles from an Air Force silo and then trying to survive the aftermath.
Kind of cool for an old B movie.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Another one. How about "A Boy and his Dog". BTW do they have to be during the Apocalypse or can they be Post-Apocalypse because the film just mentioned is post-apocalyptic.
Then there is the "Omega Man" but I think that one was a TV movie not a theatrical release.
There is another post-apocalypse film called, I think, "The Silent Earth". It is about a guy who is the last man on earth, I believe. I haven't seen it though.

Holden Pike

Stunt Coordinator
For a very good, quite off-beat and subduded pre-Apocalyptic tale, check out Don McKellar's Last Night (1998) . I think it is much better than Miracle Mile, which has a cult reputation but I have always found a bit overrated.
*The Omega Man with Charlton Heston was NOT made-for-TV but released theatrically in 1971. An earlier version of that story was filmed as The Last Man on Earth (1964) with Vincent Price. Both are from the novel I Am Legend by Richard Matheson (The Incredible Shrinking Man, The Legend of Hell House, "Duel", Stir of Echoes), though neither is particularly faithful. A new big-budget version starring Schwarzenegger has been rumored to be in the works for years now, but the financing keeps falling through.
[Edited last by Holden Pike on October 29, 2001 at 04:25 PM]

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
The last film that Edwin-S was referring to is Geoff Murphy's The Quiet Earth. A man awakes to find that he is seemingly the only person on the planet. Everyone is missing. It features a fine performance by Bruno Lawrence and is one of the better apocalyptic films, IMHO. I saw this theatrically many, many years ago and really wish that it would make its way to DVD.
Another title that hasn't been mentioned yet is Six String Samurai. I've only viewed portions of this film, so my opinion is unformed, but I know this title has its fans.
Finally, Paramount just released When Worlds Collide on DVD recently. Give it a try. Its fun in a 50ish SF sorta way. Glenn Erickson, aka The DVD Savant, has a nice article on this title at http://www.dvdtalk.com/dvdsavant/s317collide.html
- Walter.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
----*The Omega Man with Charlton Heston was NOT made-for-TV but released theatrically in 1971.-----
Thanks for the correction. I only saw this on TV so I mistakenly thought it was a TV movie.
----The last film that Edwin-S was referring to is Geoff Murphy's The Quiet Earth.----
Yes, that was the title I was trying to remember. Unfortunately I have not been able to see this movie.
There was another Nuclear war themed film but the name escapes me. It was a British animated film that took place entirely inside a house. It concerned a couple that are seemingly oblivious to the fact that nuclear war has broken out. It follows them as the fallout takes it toll on them. Very depressing. I have not seen the film but I did see a graphic novel adaptation of it quite a few years ago. Anybody from England remember the name of it.

Brian Crowe

Stunt Coordinator
Well, someone just HAS to mention the "Mad Max" series. Also, I liked "The Stand" by Stephen King but be sure to read the novel sometime if you haven't already.
Let's see: I remember reading "On The Beach" in high school but I haven't seen the film version. About Nuclear war as experienced from a submarine if I remember correctly.
Maybe "Independence Day" as well.
~Crowe~

Kevin Coleman

Second Unit
Here is a couple,
"Countdown To Looking Glass"
I think it was a TV movie. I think it stars Elliot Gould and Helen Shaver. It is told from like a CNN type news chanell perspective. Almost like a documentary.
"The Day After"
Can't believe nobody mentioned this one yet.
TV movie starring Jason Robards, John Lithgow and a young Steve Guttenberg.
"By Dawns Early Light"
HBO original movie starring Rebecca Demornay (spelling) and Powers Boothe.
Kevin C. :)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Wow! Somebody else saw COUNTDOWN TO LOOKING GLASS besides me! Tough one to locate because it was never released to video, but it has the same urgency as one that was, SPECIAL BULLETIN, also a t.v. movie. Let's not forget TESTAMENT, a quietly scary-as-hell movie with Jane Alexander about a family slowly succumbing to the ravages of radiation poisoning following a nuclear attack. THREADS, the British countpart of our DAY AFTER, was even more grim and depressing. I also liked DEEP IMPACT (but hated ARMAGEDDON). The two scariest scenes of nuclear holocaust for me are: the opening shot of DREAMSCAPE and the dream in TERMINATOR 2.

Dave Sutton

Agent
Edwin - that animated movie that you are talking about was:
When the Wind Blows (1986)
Roger Waters, of Pink Floyd fame, did the score/music.
A very sad movie that I saw once over a decade ago. That I still remember it is a tribute to how disturbing I found it. (although I was only 13 or so at the time)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks