What's new

Apopcalyptic film recomendations? (1 Viewer)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Dave
Thanks for the title information. I would really like to see the film but I am not holding my breath that it will be released on disc anytime soon.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Todd,
It has been many years since I viewed this film. With that disclaimer, here is my recollection of The Quiet Earth
Somewhat mild spoilers...
Spoiler:The story deals with the experiences of a man who awakens to find that he is alone. He has no family, so upon awakening, he is not disturbed. He becomes aware of the general silence of his environment. Upon leaving his home in the morning, he finds his neighborhood deserted. He journeys into the city from the suburbs only to find the entire city vacant, quiet, and undisturbed. I don't recall the city in question, but there is no doubt that it is a metropolis.
We later find out that he is a scientist who was working on a new, experimental power source. While he was sleeping, the power grid was turned on/tested; and he theorizes that this was the catalyst that triggered the disappearance. Why he is still present is a mystery.
The first portion of the film deals with his search for other people ( leaving signs on billboards, etc. ) and his playing out a variety of wish fulfillment fantasies. Imagine if everyone were gone, you'd be driving a Porsche, etc.

Medium spoilers...
Spoiler:As the second portion of the film begins, he locates two other individuals, a man and a woman. The second half deals somewhat with the rivalry between the two men for the woman. There is a racial element to the byplay as the second man is black, and the scientist and woman are white. ( I don't recall the film being overly heavy-handed in dealing with these themes. ) The three continue to attempt determine what happened, with a discussion of the power grid and its possible connection.

Weapon's grade spoilers...
Spoiler:At the conclusion of the film, we are treated to the view of an alien vista on the horizon ( two moons and a gas giant as I recall ). The intent being that either we are no longer on our Earth, or that something very strange happened to our planet. I forget the reason why this was not visible earlier in the film. I believe there was some type of fog, or mist on the horizon. ??
The film plays out like an elaborate episode of the Twilight Zone. The sense of uneasiness as the film's protagonist attempts to determine what has happened was almost palpable. In addition to telling an adult, literate SF story; the film despite its relatively low budget had a very nice look. The entire film felt very well crafted, in terms of cinematography and editing. Essentially, it was very well made and belied its low budget origins. As I said before, I'd love to see it make its way to DVD as I consider it one of the real sleepers of the '80s.
- Walter.
------------------

Hubert

Second Unit
I can't believe nobody has mentioned The Omen. Saw it tonight for the first time in a long time. Maybe The Omen is not in the apocalyptic genre you're asking for. More biblical apocalypse than the other films. But it is certainly one of the best.

Julie K

Screenwriter
Well, since the thread has started to migrate from nuclear apocalypse...
In the Mouth of Madness
A wonderful Lovecraftian end-of-humanity tale complete with the return of the Old Ones.
------------------
My DVDs
"Some people think I'm over-prepared, paranoid...maybe even a little crazy. But they never met any pre-Cambrian life forms, did they?"

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I recommend On The Beach. A great movie made in the late 50s with Gregory Peck and Eva Marie Saint. It involves the last survivors of a nuclear war in Austrailia. There is no happy ending in this movie at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks