What's new

Anything Other Than Phase Responsible For 10-12db Drop At 80Hz? (1 Viewer)

James Edward

Supporting Actor
I am able to equalize my sub to within 3db's of flat from 20hz-50hz. At 63hz, it begins to fall off, and at 80hz and 100hz, it is down by about 12db.

Sub phase does nothing to correct this situation- would reversing polarity of the 3 front speakers possibly help? Or is that simply the same as changing the sub's polarity because they are interactive?

Sub is in front with the other speakers, and has continuously variable 180 degree phase adjustment. Receiver currently set for 80Hz crossover.

I am asking before doing because the speakers are bi-wired and my wife has to do the switching, because of recent back surgery. So I don't want her doing it if the consensus is it won't do any good...

All thoughts appreciated. Thank you.

Lee Carbray

Second Unit
James try unhooking the mains and checking the response of just the sub. It is still falls off then no phase issue, and most likely a room issue. If it stays flat the you possibly have a phase issue.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
It's the room, you either have to move the sub or you have to live with it.It can't be EQ'd

EricSm

Stunt Coordinator
Don't feel alone. I have the same issue. Except mine is more like a -15 db drop at that frequency with the sub. Hopefully with my speakers crossed over at 80hz it's not too much of an issue... I did find that by moving my sub to the opposite corner in the room helped cut that db drop in half, and it also smoothed out some of the frequency response. You may wanna look into placement options.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I agree, probably not phase. The max swing I get in phase vs out of phase is only 6 - 7 dB. You probably have a room node problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks