What's new

Anyone using X-Box with 6.1/7.1 system? (1 Viewer)

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
I'm considering selling my Onkyo 595 to a friend and getting the 600 or 700 to replace it (and adding a center rear speaker). I know the effect this will have with movies, but I haven't seen anyone post anything about how well the matrix decoding works with something like the X-Box, where surround is encoded on the fly. Anyone out there tried this?

Arthur Legardo

Second Unit
Real Name
ArthurL
It works as well as any 5.1 movie matrixed into 7.1 (that's what I am running with my Denon 3802). The beginning of Halo is a good example, when the crewman is telling you how to maneuver, if you walk away or spin around the sound of their voice is completely surrounds you.

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
Same set-up as Arthur, 3802 with 7.1. Very nice with Halo, u can definitely hear where them uglies are.

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Same here, Denon 3800 with 7.1. Halo kicks serious booty in the sound department (and everything else). Hell, I was able to notice the difference on my Pioneer 604 upstairs.

Mike

David Broome

Stunt Coordinator
I have the Onkyo 898 and the only game I could really tell a difference on is Halo. I'll be the first to admit my room isn't exactly conducive to 7.1, though. But that has never stopped me before...

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
I've got mine hooked up with a Pioneer VSX-49TX. I just leave the THX Ultra2 processing on all the time - and I think it rocks.

Steve Bjorg

Stunt Coordinator
Jeremy,

6.1/7.1 processing will provide the proper effect on any 5.1 source material, be it pre-recorded or generated on the fly. Sadly, XBox doesn't support DTS Discrete 6.1, so the matrixed decoding is as good as it is going to be for this generation of consoles.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.