What's new

Anyone use the TB W8-740C or Apex Jr Super 8? (1 Viewer)

Andrew S

Stunt Coordinator
I'm very interested as well in these 8 inch tangbands. I had to move my Tempest out of the car and am in need of a new subwoofer(s) for the car. Hopefully you get some more info that I can leach off of :)
Andrew

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
The W8-740C needs lots of low end boost if you have any intentions of using it in room. I've used one in an 11" external cube with the 300-796 amp (with 6dB boost built in). It doesn't sound too bad, but I haven't had a chance to measure the response yet. I'd be much more inclined to use it in a car environment where cabin gain will be much more effective.

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
I put the TB in a sealed cube about the size of Brian's, with a 100-watt plate amp and I was disappointed - as I expected. This driver is really for car installs only - it needs the cabin gain.

AllanRW

Second Unit
OR the high excursion PR like the RCM.
Both Brian and Hank have not tried these yet.
Works hands down out of the box, no tuning needed.
Install the pR and kicking little 8"
Al

Mark gas

Second Unit
On caraudioforum.com xtremefosgate hit 142.3 with 2 apex subs in a 1.2^3 ported box with 1000 watts rms.

chris_hunigan

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, I realize that! I am always at CAF. I am just trying to get a perspective from the HT guys, based on the performance of the sub. Yes with car audio their is a ton more cabin gain, thus an increase in SPL. So I was trying to hear if these drivers bottom out of loud volumes or does it maintain its composure? Will throw at least 700 watts on a pair of these subs...

Also I wasn't sure if the 4.9mm Xmax was the actual rating. If it happen to be at 8mm or 9mm one-way, I would definately consider them. Although since Xtreme hit that number anything is possible, regardless if its 4.9mm one-way or 12mm one-way.

Cree

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Right, didn't do a PR, because I can't bring myself to spend more for a PR than the driver itself costs. Anyone want to buy two of these drivers?

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
I did use a 12" Stryke PR with the MCM clone of the TB woofer and it worked quite well. But as Hank stated, the PR was double the cost of the driver itself.

BTW, I've got two more of the TB drivers unused that I'd be willing to part with as well.

AllanRW

Second Unit
I agree with those above
Like Hank and Brian said the PR is the cost diven Item.
The PR that will work the best in a small cabinet is the RCM PR from CSS.
This is a 10" with 50mm of Xmax.
But the cost is $50.00 USD with free shipping.
I have used these 8" drivers to death and still will only use this combo.
Mr Wright and Koonce who do articals in the Audio Amature express Mag have been testing all the 8" drivers they could get from the DIY market.
And they stopped after they found out everyone would not work in a sealed,ported or IB cabinet which was there idea.They need a PR.I just recieved 40 pages from Bob Wright yesterday about the tests using the MCM,TB and a MA 8".

After a long telephone chat with Bob Wright as well I told him this same thing a year ago but they wanted to do a IB and test the drivers.Well no go PR all the way or a small 1cft ported 2X6 in a car.
I have been loaded with emails about my work with these 8" drivers and realy only a PR will work with stiff compliance and high excursion.OR in a small port cabinet for Auto use.

Al

chris_hunigan

Stunt Coordinator
Al,
My intent was to use them for car audio. They model very well in .5 tuned to 35 Hz. So I will use a pair of 740's in a 1 cube box tuned to 35 Hz. This should be more than ideal. For DIY HT applications, a more feasable tune would be around 28~30 Hz, for that low deep bass. However, for car audio applications that type of tune isn't required or necesssary.

Cree

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks