What's new

Anyone use Sony Giga Pocket PVR (1 Viewer)

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
I'm in the market for a new CPU and came across this kind of neat unit computer & PVR unit:

Sony VAIO Digital Studio RG34G

It features something called "Giga Pocket" PVR which simply looks like a PC Tuner/Capture card. (Creative has one for $99).

But it also has audio/composite/svideo inputs which they say you can use to archive your videos onto the DVD burner.

Does anyone have experience with this? And the big question: Can you record shows onto the hard drive, then burn them into DVD's?

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
Hmmm... can I get a solid 30 frame/sec capture at 640x480 with that $28 card on a PIII machine?

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
I've never used that card, but I've gotten solid full-frame captures on a Pentium-166; the processor is only one variable. If the card does hardware compression -- and that WinFast sounds like it does MPEG -- then all you need is a reasonably fast hard drive. The card will encode frames in real-time, without any real burden on the CPU, so the only question is whether the frames can be written to the drive in real-time. Obviously, the smaller the frame, or the better the compression, the less data there is. But even DVD-quality MPEG-2 (10 Mbps) should have no problem with any recent drives.

So I'd guess it would work. The only caveat is that MPEG is not really a format designed for editing, and any recompression will reduce the quality, although maybe not enough so you'd notice or care.

//Ken

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks