What's new

Anyone use Flickr? (1 Viewer)

Steve Felix

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve Felix
Flickr is a photo hosting and sharing site with community features that I find to be a better model for ongoing photo discussion than a normal message board.

I've been hooked on it for a while, and it has motivated me to take more pictures. There are free accounts that are very worthwhile, and the linking policy is generous.

Here's my page. If anyone signs up, add me as a contact or post here and I'll add you back.

WadeB

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Steve,

Perhaps Flickr is why the Photo forum here is so quiet.

I'm an official addict.
Pics here. I'll be adding you.

Steve Felix

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve Felix
Thanks for finding the thread, Wade. Flickr is so superior to every other photo host I've seen that I knew someone else here had to be using it.

The "interestingness" feature needs some work, though. There are a couple people who have shots on the "Explore" page every day whether they are exceptional or not.

WadeB

Stunt Coordinator
Part of the Intrestingness thing seems to be a poularity contest. There is indeed a large circle of people who seem to keep each other in heavy rotation. Granted most are very very good photographers, but not every single shot they take. But then I think Flickrs rapid success comes from the fact that it works as a social site as well as a photography site. Another one of those things I wish I'd thought of.

It's also funny to see the effect that the Delete me group can have on a pic.

Overall, a great forum. See ya there.

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
I like Flickr but I find some of the organisation rather clunky. Why no FTP support? Why no option to delete multiple files? Very odd. Fotki doesn't have same strong community as aspect of Flickr but because of it's FTP support makes life a bit easier.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
I decided to sign up for a Flickr account in June (or somewhere around there), and paid for the pro account a week or so later. I love being able to export photos from iPhoto directly into Flickr.

Here's my page:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/gordlacey

Nothing all that outstanding up there, unless you like Luke Perry. haha.

Gord

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I signed up as well for a Pro account:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/patcave/

for now, I just have the "best" of my Dragon Con 2005 photos on there, but I plan on putting other stuff when I get the time to sort through my photo files from the past few years.

I tried out the Uploader (beta) app, which appear to work okay as a drop-n-drag applet, but it's got a strange bug when it tries to open up your Flickr page (the page is a small square that can't be re-sized) after files have been uploaded.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks