What's new

Anyone use a pc on a RP HDTV(DVI)? (1 Viewer)

JamesOr

Agent
I've had my 57" Hitachi(57twx20b) for about 2 weeks now and I finally bought a dvi cable to hook my pc up to it. The 3d card I have in my pc is a Geforce ti4400 and it has both an analog vga output and a digital DVI output on it. When I got into windows on my Hitachi I looked at my display resolution options and the highest resolution I could choose was 848x480. There were 2 lower resolutions also. THe image quality was great at this resolution but obviously it wasn't widescreen format so a lot of my desktop was cut off. Since I was using the DVI in on the tv I could only do 16:9 mode and 16:9 zoom- no 4:3 modes at all.

My biggest question is, are there 3d cards out there with widescreen modes and higher resolutions for DVI out? I've heard a lot about the ATI All-in-wonder cards be used for home theatre, are those much more flexible for HDTV's? I've also heard a bit about the Matrox Perhelia but I'm not familiar with Matrox cards. If I go out and spend $300-500 on a 3d card am I going to have a card that's capable of handling high-quality widescreen output? Or are today's 3d cards not caught up with modern HDTV's?

Not exactly sure about your TV but most CRT based RPTVs can only display 480p natively with 720p being upconverted to 1080i.

That gives you the 848x480 with 480p so its not your video card that is having a problem but more that your TV can't display 720p or 1280x720 progressive.

Maybe there are some devices that could take a computer input of 720p or 1080p and output 1080i but I have not seen any.

Use powerstrip to run widescreen resolutions.
Karnis has a custom resolution guide at the AVSforum under the HTPC forum. The best resolution for this TV will come from 540 timings. I can't remember exactly how I had my Hitachi setup because I have not used it with a HTPC since I got my projectors. The end result will be a little vertical overscan but everything will be really sharp.

Mitch Stevens

Supporting Actor
Does Powerstrip also help you choose a widescreen resolution, if you're just hooking up your computer using S-Video cables??? BTW, I'm hooking it up a a Mits Widescreen set.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks