What's new

Anyone tell me what is the correct audio setting for my DVD player? (1 Viewer)

Tim_

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone tell me what is the correct audio setting for my DVD player? I've have a Pioneer Universal DVD player that hook up to my Int Amp with RCA cable for stereo not 5.1 or 7.1. Here are the current audio set up on my DVD player. Can anyone tell me what are each changes suppose to do and am I have it set up properly?

MPEG > PCM : MPEG encoded digital audio is converted to PCM audio for digital output.

96kHz > 48kHz : 96 kHz digital audio is converted to 48 kHz for digital output.

96kHz : 96 kHz digital audio is output as is at 96 kHz.

Dolby Digital > PCM : Dolby Digital audio is converted to PCM audio before being output.

DTS Off : No digital audio is output when playing a DTS disc.

Digital Out OFF : No digital audio output.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If you are using the analog (L/R) outputs, none of those settings makes any difference.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
First off, as JohnRice said, none of that matters with the L/R analog connection. The most you can get with the analogs is 2.0 Pro-Logic surround, which is underwhelming at best. If your A/V receiver has Dolby Digital, you need a digital coax or optical connection to get full 5.1 DD surround sound. Once you have this connection the settings should be as follows:

MPEG > PCM : MPEG encoded digital audio is converted to PCM audio for digital output.

"Off"

96kHz > 48kHz : 96 kHz digital audio is converted to 48 kHz for digital output.

96kHz : 96 kHz digital audio is output as is at 96 kHz.

Depends on your receiver, but "96kHz" is probably fine.

Dolby Digital > PCM : Dolby Digital audio is converted to PCM audio before being output.

Should be "Bitstream" or whatever the opposite of "PCM" is.

DTS Off : No digital audio is output when playing a DTS disc.

If your receiver is DTS capable, this should be "On".

Digital Out OFF : No digital audio output.

"On"

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Some receivers can decode MPEG audio, but some can't, in which case you'd have to have it convert to PCM. An older player I have needs the analog jacks hooked up to hear MPEG on my receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks