What's new

Anyone Starting to get Sick of Standard and Deluxe DVD Releases? (1 Viewer)

Yousaf

Second Unit
I tell myself I buy SEs because of the extra content, but because I usually don't get around to watching most of it, my purchase ends up being for the prettier colors and the shiny (sometimes textured) box. Really, that's what it comes down to. Take Seabiscuit for example: you either get a bland, boring box or this bright red, book-looking case. Which would you rather have? Damn right, the red one. Now, I didn't actually buy Seabiscuit but I've been debating which M&C to buy because of this. You guys think you're having trouble justifying an extra $10 for more content? Try $10 for a pretty box and then we'll talk :angry: :D

(By the way, this is only being slightly humerous...I am indeed a sucker for a nice case and keep on paying more for them :frowning: I can't help it!)

Lyle_E

Stunt Coordinator
Chiming in for the first time in this part of the forum Hello... Bear with me I think I have an opinion on this, not that amounts to much but here goes...

When I bought my first DVD, it was because I wanted DVD's to have. That soon changed after I bought a few movies I did not like.. ( learning curve)

I should purchase Movie's I liked (at this point I was not paying attention to sound or video quality) still at 20 bucks avg. (still learning)

Then came the googlio phonic upgrade to the sound system, then I started looking for the 5.1 and widescreen.. Still at 20 bucks

Then came the TV upgrade and the discovery of HTF, since coming here I am getting more selective on the movies I purchase... I don’t mind buying the SE's but the line is drawn at 30 bucks and they have to be OAR. If they have a DTS track that’s a bonus for me.

My point (finally!) I guess...

I rarely watch the Extra stuff that comes with SE's, I now am a sucker for thinking I am getting the best I can get... I think and have learned that, a single disc with the good quality Video and audio... for less... Is a whole lot better and I would have the money to purchase 2 movies instead of 1 at a time.

I just chaps my hide they have so many different releases. at least now I have a place to at least research what everyone is saying about movie ‘X’ Quality before I buy it

I am still a Sucker for cool packaging also..........
Reference my latest Purchase The good The Bad and The Ugly – I have loved this movie since I was a kid

Ok I dont think that was an opinion... was it? I think it was more of a random thought..

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
My problem is that for a long while now, the so-called "deluxe" editions *were* the standard release and were priced at the level of the "standard" release is now (i.e. Blade 2, Minority Report, Cast Away, A.I., etc.).

This new trend just seems like a way to screw the consumers who enjoy the extras. Split off the extras in a special "deluxe" package, yet still charge the same price for the "standard" edition and then charge an even higher price for the "deluxe" edition.

Those who do not care about extras are not paying any less, and those who do want the extras are paying even more than before. So all those who say "I don't care about extras anyway," should care that they're not getting as much for the same amount of money.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
There still plenty of good SEs for standard prices. Miracle, which came out less than a week ago, is a good example.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Too tell you the truth I'm at the point in my DVD life where etras don't really interest me. Give me a great transfer and great Sound and I don't care about the fluff extras. On the other hand I know what you mean they are starting to charge extra for what they use to give you. Take master and commander for example I bought the bare bones. It's really a matter of time or lack therof, I have so many DVD's begging for my attention that I usually will onlly look at the film. Between that and games and TV and actually spending time with the Wife, well you get the idea

guille verdun

Stunt Coordinator
Yes:

I posted a thread some time ago about this matter, and some people reply me with the ''deal with it'' response.

Something about capitalism and market.... etc.

..looks like there are some studio bi###es in the house.

...an i also agree with those posts stating it's OK as long as the studio let's us know upfront

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I forget where it was mentioned by it was said that THX-1138 would be released in a 2 disc SE and one disc version. The thing I noticed was that the MSRPs that were given, it would suggest that when the title hits the B&Ms the 2-disc would be available for about $20 and the single disc around $15. If that is true, I would find this a bit more reasonable. I can't say for sure if it is true is it was the only mention I have seen of the two versions. Warner has been getting into this a bit though, so it would not be surprising. But it's fine with me if I don't have to pay upwards of $30 for the extras.

Exactly, I do get sick of things being "Fixed" that aren't broke.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks