What's new

Anyone seen a Rik Emmett concert? (1 Viewer)

Todd Smigelski

Stunt Coordinator
Just curious as i am going to see him in Detroit this Friday.

How was it?

I've alway enjoyed his guitar work when he was with Triumph but I'm really not counting on him singing any songs from the day since he has amassed many studio albums since. If he does... BONUS!

Thanks,

Todd

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
This won't be a helpful reply, but am heartened to see another RE fan. I loved his stuff in Triumph, and bought his solo album back in the early 90s (I think I still have it, but have to check the CD case).

Question: Do you know Rik's spiritual orientation? I'm curious because a number of his songs seem influenced by Christianity ("Fight the Good Fight" being a phrase from the New Testament, "Saved by Love" on his first solo album, etc.).

Post a review of the concert - my curiosity aside, it's good to know Rik is still pursuing his passion.

Jeff_A

Screenwriter
I can't comment on his solo material, but I saw him perform twice with Triumph back in the day. A very talented singer and guitarist. :emoji_thumbsup:

Do us a favor and report back after the show, Todd.

Kevin G.

Second Unit
Hey Todd,
Please do revisit this thread after you see the show!!!
I heard the POOBAH talking about this show on the RIFF today and was very sorry I missed the boat...
Doc also played some on the high noon program and brought back some wonderful memories of my Triumph experience..."Sport of Kings Tour" Fantastic show!!!! I wish they were still a force on the Rock front.
Rik is a creative individual indeed, and I can't imagine him ignoring such a huge and powerful catalogue.

Todd Smigelski

Stunt Coordinator
Update:

Great show.

Rik Emmett did play some Triumph tunes. Good courteous crowd. Rik had an excellent young 2nd lead guitarist. We stood right next to the stage on the side and saw everything close up.

He opened with 'Fight the Good Fight'at around 11:00-11:15, then 'Say Goodbye' then followed by 'Lay it on the line' and closed with 'Magic Power'. (We had to leave early since he started so late and we had a babysitter, but i saw Magic power on the setlist on stage)

I'd have to say his solo stuff was great too. The style personally reminded me of Santana

As far as i know, no 'Hold On' or 'Rock n roll machine' ect ect :frowning:

paid $10 at the door. Kinda funny but we didnt know it at the time that one guy sitting at the bar for the warm up acts was Rik. My wife said she also recognized him helping the warm up band pack up!

I should have brought my Thunder 7 cd for him to sign if i'd had known he'd be at the bar. That was my first cd i ever bought circa 1984 when the cd rack at the record stores was really small with only a few bands to choose from.

Rik is a no-brainer for the price of admission and a weekend night!

Todd

Kevin G.

Second Unit

Killer, KILLER CD!!! "Follow Your Heart", and "Little Boy Blues" just SPOKE to..., no, SCREAMED at me!!!
After that one, I went back in their catalogue, and then followed them forward to the end. 'Course at that time, mine were all cassettes...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks