What's new

Anyone remember this projection toy from the 80's? (1 Viewer)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
i have vauge memories of listening to an Ernie and Bert record from the 80's, about them exploring a weirdly dense jungle. And to accompany the adventure, you played a record on a dvice that had a projection mechanism that put an image on the wall..

Anyone know anything about the record(preferably audio clips), or the device that was used for it?

Thanks

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I think it was a viewmaster projector. I think I have one in a box somewhere. It was like the handheld viewmaster. But, it could project the image on a wall. Some discs if I remember correctly had sound.

StephenA

Screenwriter
I think I had something like that as well. I remember having something that was like a telescope that sat on the floor and projected images on the wall and/or ceiling.

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
I had something like that. I think I had one that had something to do with Ghostbusters, too.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Anyone remember these things:

Don't they make cool toys like this anymore? I had one of these but my parents were the sort who bought me the toy and one cartridge then refused to buy any more.

-paul

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell

Yup! I'm the proud owner of both the hand and wall fisher price projectors. I have about 8 cartridges, they are getting really hard to find locally. One of my favorite toys.

I never had the viewmaster one though, it does look pretty cool!

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
The one with the record player is Show & Tell- I never had one, but they look similar to classroom filmstrip projectors except the film has a plastic frame around it, you stick it in a slot in the machine and the record tells it when to advance the picture.

I had one of those Fisher-Price projectors but something went wrong with it and I forget what happened to it. I still have the viewer though. I've always wondered what the inside of the film cartridges looks like but haven't taken any apart as it looks like you wouldn't be able to get them back together again. I have a videotape with the tail end of a 1977 commercial for the projector, I'm desperately trying to find a copy of the entire thing!

I see View-Masters are still around; I wonder how well those have been selling this days. Seems like kids today would find them primitive.

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
Nice going Paul! I remember watching Mickey, Donald & Pluto in "Lonesome Ghosts" hundreds of times on one of those 8mm cartridges, holding the handheld unit up to enough natural (or electric) light to view the film.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
I had Lonseome Ghosts and Pinocchio. I was watching a Disney movie with my kid the other week and it recalled this for me. I'm tempted to buy one off ebay. That's one of the cool things about ebay. Whenever I look for a toy from my youth I can find a mint one there.

-paul

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I remember, and had the movie viewer. I remember the commercial for it too. One of the show clips was Star Trek. But my parents wouldn't buy me more than 3 of the cartridges, and they were all Disney. The 8mm film strip was only about a minute long, but i couldn't watch them enough. Who would have figured we would OWN our favorite movies and TV shows on DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks