What's new

Anyone reformat the HD on their Win XP machine? (1 Viewer)

Timon Russo

Stunt Coordinator
I bought a Dell last year and I'm overcome with temptation to reformat the HD and re-install Windows XP and all my apps. There aren't any particular problems, just a lot of crap on there that I'd like to get off. Lots of stuff that I don't know is there too, probably. Anyone have any experience with this? I read somewhere that its as easy as right-clicking the C: drive icon and selecting FORMAT. But will this really do? And what happens when its done? Do I then boot from the Windows XP CD-ROM?

Chris Hovanic

Supporting Actor
Forget the right-clicking the C: drive.

Just boot to your XP CD-rom and it will prompt you if you want to reformat during the install process. Simple as that. :D I would reformat in NTFS over FAT32 as well. Make sure you have all the data files you want backed up and if you have any out of the ordinary hardware make sure you have driver discs.

Good luck

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
Yes! Make sure you back up your important files before you re-install the OS, they will be lost forever! :)

Timon Russo

Stunt Coordinator
I will indeed back up! And thanks for steering me in the right direction. I get so sick of new computers coming with so many half-baked programs that seem to pop up continuously looking for registration, or going out of date and losing what little functionality they had to begin with. I can't be the only one! Anyway, thanks again.

Chris Hovanic

Supporting Actor
Yes.. that is why I build my own computers with no Dell/Compaq/HP junk on it. Only what I want.

Good luck

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
you're going to reformat a pre-built dell correct?

if so, you really better be sure you have all the drivers. if not, when you format clean you may lose some of the functionality of your components.

that is why i built my own pc this round...i was tired of dealing with that stuff from my other NEC pc.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
that is why I build my own computers with no Dell/Compaq/HP junk on it. Only what I want.
please remember its JUST as easy to reformat a dell or hp computer as it is one of your own creations. i build my own computers too, but i used to buy dells. and the very day i would receive them, i'd reformat. cleans off their shit, feels much better.

CJ

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
I'd personally suggest downloading the latest network drivers for your NIC and putting them on a floppy disk first. Then boot to the XP disk, reformat and install. Then, install the network drivers, and go to microsoft's windows update page. Update everything important. Then, go to Dell's site and download the latest drivers for everything. Install those.

It's best to install all of the latest drivers and things right on the first shot, instead of installing the older ones from your CD, and then upgrading later.

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
I just sold my original 40G from my Dell to a fellow member in the forum. Put in a 175G, restore from my Dell XP-Home CD. Pretty straight forward (175G posted some size specific challenges, but most people probably don't have to worry about it).
Plan on spending a little time running Windows Update to get your system back up to par. Windows Update now is just so much better, it used to be that oen has to reboot like a million times doing something like this, but no more.
Unless you have specific issues, just go with the standard XP drivers, they worked perfectly good for me, did not reload any Dell drivers at all.
No more junk software, the only freebie that came with Dell that I MAY (doubted) reinstall is the Roxio stuff.
I think I pulled the old drive out, shipped it around 1pm and have my system pretty much running by 11pm. Again, if your drive is under 137G, should be easier and faster.

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
Remformatting should not be an issue and what format you choose is your choice NTFS is nice to run though you'll notice a small drop in performance over FAT32 its definately more secure, unless you're running a full out network I would'nt really recommend formatting with NTFS for the the biggest reason if your os goes belly up or you have problems with the drive its a lot harder to pull data off a dead NTFS drive vs. a FAT32 formatted drive. So the ultimate choice comes down to you. I've ran both file systems and found I preferred sticking with FAT32.

RandyObert

Agent
I prefer NTFS, I like being able to secure individual folders from prying eyes. FAT32 can not do this. The drop in performance is really not noticeable in the everyday world.

Robert Ross

Agent
I also own a Dell and I'm planning on formatting, but for a different reason. I'm buying a bigger hard drive and I'm just going to sell my old drive. I have all of my important files backed up already and I just want to do a clean wipe of the drive before I put the new drive in. Is there an easy way of doing this? I know I could just hook up both drives, install XP on the new drive and then through My Computer do the whole format thing, but I really don't want to go through the hassle of hooking up both hard drives together and then taking old drive back out. Any help here?

Thanks

RandyObert

Agent
If you have ANY sensitive data on the drive I would suggest a third party format tool (security version) or a Low Level format to 0 write the drive. Reason is this, you can format and repartition that drive, send it to me and I will recover all the data that was on it in about 1 hour. Anyone can do this and the software is available on the web.
You can get the low level format utility at any of the hard drive makers web sites.

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
>>If you have ANY sensitive data on the drive I would suggest a third party format tool (security version) or a Low Level format to 0 write the drive.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
If you have ANY sensitive data on the drive I would suggest a third party format tool (security version) or a Low Level format to 0 write the drive.
or a hammer, drill and about 5 minutes.

seriously though, that's exactly what i do. just smash the electronics and drill a bunch of 3/4 inch holes into the thing.

Robert Ross

Agent
Could someone post a good (and cheap) format tool I could use to do this? I'm very paranoid about this kind of stuff. I didn't realize that someone could still access my data after a format. Thanks for the heads-up.

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
Randy, I have Jetico's stuff (fully license), BCWipe is the one that will take 12 hours to wipe a 40G drive ;) .

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks