What's new

Anyone get Win 10 1903 yet? (1 Viewer)

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Due to complaints about the 1809 rollout, MS has a new format for Win 10 1903. If you click on the "check for updates" button, 1903 won't automatically download and install. Instead in Windows update you will be notified that 1903 is available, but there's a second button to click on that says "download and install".

Win 1903 became generally available last week, but it hasn't shown up on the Windows update page for my two PCs. IIUC MS is slow-walking the rollout based upon their analysis of your machine's compatibility with 1903.

Has anyone here had the 1903 build show up on their Windows update page?

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I updated the Windows 10 VM on my MacBook Pro yesterday but I didn’t pay attention to whether the 1903 update was included. I’ll try to remember and look tomorrow.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
I decided to force the update on my laptop. It wasn't forthcoming from Microsoft via the normal Update procedure so I utilized the Windows Upgrade Assistant. It's a little download program that allows a manual, forced upgrade.

I did this on my laptop as it serves as an auxiliary system for me, largely used in travels and usually only to connect to the Web and check email. It's almost become redundant in the Smartphone age, but I still like having something at a decent size to perhaps watch a video or a ballgame or something.

The upgrade took its time - about two hours, I'd estimate. I had to leave it partway through the first download part and it was ready to reboot when I got back, so I can't really estimate how long that first part took. The second part took about an hour.

The obvious cosmetic change is to the new default light mode. The task-bar is now a grey color in that mode, and the wallpaper changes the old, dark, "Hero" image to a newer, lighter version.

upload_2019-5-27_11-32-32.jpeg

My defaults in two areas were reset. Images defaulted to the Photos app, and music defaulted to the Groove Music app. I reset both quickly back to my preferences of Windows Image Viewer and Windows Media Player respectively.

After an hour or so, a new icon appeared on the tray area, and I hovered over it and there was a note about wanting to reboot because another update had downloaded right away. I guess it was some quick-fixes from Microsoft already.

I'll delay going after the update for awhile on my main home computer while things shake out, but at least I can play with the new OS on the laptop.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I’m postponing. Updates tend to break things on my HTPC. And this is a big one, I understand.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Ohhh...

I just got my "invite" on my desktop (i5 ivy bridge). That's about a week later than the general release to users.

Not yet on my laptop (i5 sandy bridge).

Last edited:

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Last edited:

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Well I did the download and install last night. It took about 1:45, which is quite a long time. Nothing bad happened as far as I can tell.

Now running 1903, OS build 18362.145 .

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
I finished my trio of upgrades yesterday, taking my main desktop PC up to the new level. Yes, it took about 1:45 too, but seems to be pretty much OK. I've still had to check and change a few settings and app defaults that tend to get reset during these upgrades.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Strange that my laptop hasn't gotten the invitation yet.

According to the resource monitor, I appear to get better use of memory with the new version. The "free" size is larger using similar tasks. Maybe the new version is more efficient at releasing unused memory.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Well, so much for my self-satisfied alternate strategy. I was able to do the update using the Update Assistant. The actual update took from 1:21 PM to 2:00 PM -- a good forty minutes.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
So far so good. Both my machines took the upgrade to 1903 in stride. But they did this for 1809 too. I'm surprised that there's so much angst among Win 10 users about upgrades in general. Do the users complaining the most have oddball hardware configurations?

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
My Apple laptop was updated (dual OS) but my gaming machine and windows enterprise editions have not updated yet. No issues on the laptop but then again I didn't test it too much. Typically I never have any problems after updates.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
So far so good. Both my machines took the upgrade to 1903 in stride. But they did this for 1809 too. I'm surprised that there's so much angst among Win 10 users about upgrades in general. Do the users complaining the most have oddball hardware configurations?
HTPC configurations can be finicky. Win10 updates to video and audio or seemingly innocuous little things can break things. And if nothing else, the unplanned, unexpected reboots from auto upgrades are wholly annoying as they kill the media server software.

Nope, I’ve learned the hard way to not let Windows auto update my HTPC. And only update when I’ve got time to babysit it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks