What's new

Anyone own boston acoustics? (1 Viewer)

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor
I just bought a pair of vr-950's and I was wondering if anyone else has any boston stuff. Anyone have any opinions of them? All the bostons I have heard have been wonderful, thats why I bought these.

Leigh_M

Stunt Coordinator
I have the CR series and love them. My wife is a music teacher and very picky about speakers. These were the only speakers she felt could do music as well as HT!

Tim K

Second Unit
I've got the 950's...I have enjoyed them for about 5 yrs now. I've got the VR-10 Center (now called the 910) and micro 90s as surrounds.

ericSchirm

Agent
I have the VR10 center but with Cerwin Vega mains. Where did you buy the VR950's? I am thinking of replacing my Vegas with them but I can't find a good price anywhere.

BTW- I like the Boston center.

Tim K

Second Unit
re: the 950's...
I bought mine, and see them all the time on clearance at Tweeter. I think they go for around $500/pr.

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor
Oh I got them from soundtrack. I work there. But they were D-code and at an employee special discount, with some convincing I got them for $160 for the pair. Shhhh... dont tell. :D

But I have only listened to them once at work in one of the rooms. They sounded great. But my wife wont let me hook em up till x-mas, its my present. :D

GrahamJW

Stunt Coordinator
I have 4 (2 for mains, 2 for rear surrounds) Boston A70T that were used for surround satellites in a movie theatre. They sound great to my ears. Here's the specs from Boston Acoustics:

The A70T surround speaker is designed to be used in commercial theaters. It meets Dolby Labs ISO2969 curve.

Specifications:

Low Frequency Cutoff (+- 3dB) 45Hz
Nominal Impedance 6 Ohms
Minimum Impedance 4 Ohms
8" woofer
1 " ferrofluid cooled tweeter
Sensitivity 90dB/2.83v/meter
Crossover Frequency 2000Hz
Recommended Power 15-100 watts
Cabinet Finish matte black
Dimensions 610 x 356 x 203 mm 24x14x8"
Weight 11.8Kg (26 Lbs.)

Cheers...John

Jim Rakowiecki

Stunt Coordinator
I've been hooked on Boston for years. I currently have VR975's as mains, A VR910 center and Bravo's in back.
My first real pair of speakers were A100's which I quickly traded in for A150's and used those for something like 15 years or more and am now trying to figure out how to fit them in my bedroom.

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
I have a modest Boston setup, which consist of the VR-950's as mains, VR910 Centre, 2 pairs of CR65's as surrounds. I also have the PV600 10" Boston Sub but i've just ordered dual SVS PB2+'s as a replacement.

90% of my viewing is HT, and it suits me just fine.

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
I have a pair of the new vr3 towers. They are amazing. Very nice highs and nice tight bass. I had a pair of vr965's that I traded in. Also nice but the bass got a bit boomy for music. I recommend Boston to just about everyone I know who is going into HT. They are not talked about too much, for whatever reason, on forums. I have owned bostons for 14 years now and still have an old pair of A70's which still sound like the best 2 way speakers in its price range I have heard. After comparing my vr3's to similar paraadigms, B&W, Def tech's, Vienna's I am glad I went with the Boston. They just sound more natural and smooth that the other ones to me. The only speaker that I liked more was Martin Logan Mosaics but they retail for 2000$. Very sweet speaker though and worth every penny.

RobCar

Stunt Coordinator
I have the CR series and love 'em. I have CR-85 mains, CRC center, and CR-6 surrounds. Used the CR-6s in a previous stereo setup and became hooked on their accuracy, and then was really happy to move to the CR-85s as mains because they fill out the lower end perfectly. Highly recommended.

Here's a related review from Sound & Vision magazine:
http://webcenter.soundandvision.nets...aid,266,00.asp

I'd have the VR-M speakers if I had that kind of cash sitting around.

cabreau

Second Unit
Evan M.

After comparing my vr3's to similar paraadigms, B&W, Def tech's, Vienna's I am glad I went with the Boston. They just sound more natural and smooth that the other ones to me. The only speaker that I liked more was Martin Logan Mosaics but they retail for 2000$. Very sweet speaker though and worth every penny.
For the price, those VR3's kick some serious anus. I bet that Paradigm Studios would be your SECOND choice though... :)

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
Studio series are a very good speaker as well cabreau. I listened to them quite a bit last night in fact!! They would not be my second choice however. They would be 1B. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks