What's new

Anyone own a Kia ? (1 Viewer)

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
Yes, another car thread.... Still in the research mode for a sedan/wagon/SUV to replace my aging Grand Cherokee.

The Kia Amanti is receiving some pretty favorable reviews, does anyone have long-term experience with Kia's reliability ?

I typically own cars for 5+ years, so durability is a big priority. Not looking for anything incredibly fast (I'm an old fart at 40+), but something larger and more comfortable to drive, especially on bumpy city streets that I commute on.

Cheers !

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
My ex-girlfriend got a brand-new Kia Sportage a couple years back. It got mediocre gas milage, was pretty cramped, and had an underpowered engine. Plus, it just felt cheap. And the shocks were really stiff. If you're bigger at all I'd make sure you fit well in it. I'm 6'3 and have wide shoulders so it was pretty tight. My ex was 5'1" and very slight so she fit well. Also, hers didn't come standard with cruise control, a major pain when we'd drive to visit family hours away along interstates.

Mike Lenthol

Second Unit
Durable and comfortable?
A Toyota Camry.

Plus you'll be able to sell it, whereas you'll have to pay someone to take away that Mercedes imposter ;)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
A friend of mine rented a Kia Sportage while on vacation a few years ago. According to her, worst car she'd ever driven bar none. And that was only having it for a week or so.

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
Great feedback. Guess the "dead last" rating is a killer since I value reliability over performance/appearance. Something about the Camry/Accord solutions don't appeal to me, but.....

Surprised to see Mercedes and Volvo below Dodge and Chrysler !!!!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
As brentl says, Hyundai has made great strides in quality and reliability in recent years.

You might look there if you don't want Honday/Toyota.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure if that Kia rating applies to all their models as a whole over the years or what but it may not reflect reliablity of the new models (sedona, sorento ammati etc)...still I know several people that have older Kia's and I've driven the horrendous sportage and I can't really recomend them at this point...though as I eluded to above the brand new ones *might* be better...but I'd guess resale would still be very very low.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
I have no qualms about buying a Hyundai now and I was going to get a Santa Fe, but I'm waiting for their (edited to correct)newer version same size.... I bet it rates just as favorably and is a good bang for the buck as the Santa Fe.

TUSCON

I also drove the Pontiac Vibe (Toyota Corolla based vehicle) on the 24 hour test drive GM offers and really liked it. Well built, pretty darn roomy, and lots of nice creature comforts.

Alfer

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
At that level of SUV I'd strongly lean towards the Honda CRV. In my experience they are bulletproof reliable.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

I just bought one, so I hope so. However, I've been very disappointed with the stiff and jarring ride/suspension on the CR-V.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer

No doubt Honda's are realiable, but the darn CR-V is so bland and uninspired inside and out(IMO) not to mention that god aweful spare tire carrying swinging back door..I hate when lil SUV's resort to that method of rear hatch openings.... so obtrusive.

Jason Merrick

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Merrick
The Tucson is smaller than the Santa Fe, not larger.

Not sure what your price range is, but for sedans, have you checked out Acura? The TSX is selling for right at $26k without navigation, $28k with nav, and the TL is around $32k I think... both are great cars that deserve consideration. If you are wanting a smaller SUV, you could also check out the BMW x3 which I don't think is selling like they had hoped - which would favor you at the bargaining table.

Good luck!

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer

Just a note: They are the same dimensions give or take an inch on the interior. See their site for details.

Still a cool looking SUV for the price and the warranty offered.

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor
Buick being #3 on the list surprised me. Guess that's why the LeSabre seems always to get awards for best family car.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I'm a service tech at a largish Toyota dealership. As most of you may know, the largest source of used cars for most new car dealerships are the huge auctions held for previous rentals, repos, and off-lease cars.

This is very much the case at our dealership and we take delivery of several transport trucks loaded with these every month from auctions as far away as LA and San Francisco. Our buyer has standing instructions not to bid on Kias, Ford Windstars, and Chrysler Neons. Hyundai was on this list after a disastrous batch of early-mid 90s Excels, but the ban was lifted recently and we do usually have a few 1 or 2 year old Elantras on the lot.

KIA is actually owned by Hyundai now, but hasn't seemed to achieve as dramatic an improvement in quality.

Buicks, especially LeSabres and Regals are on the "buy" list, by the way. A lot of folks who get sticker shock when they come in to look at new Avalons can find very similar attributes for much less money in a 1 or 2 year old Buick, and the 3.8 GM V-6 is an excellent if not terribly sophisticated engine.

The original "target" car for the Avalon when it was being designed and engineered back in the mid-90s was in fact the Buick LeSabre which was at the time the best selling full size car in America.

Entry price on a base Avalon is in excess of 24k right now, with well equipped XLS high end models pushing 36k. A comparably equipped LeSabre what with incentives, interest rate deals, etc. can be had for 5 or 6k less or more, and the difference in quality and reliability just isn't that much any more.

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
Thanks Steve !!! My parents just purchased their 2nd LeSabre so they will love this feedback. I believe their fully loaded Sabre was much more than 5k less than a loaded Avalon with incentives.

Guess I was dreaming that Korean mfg's had kicked it up a notch or two...

Now I gotta ask, since my budget is fairly firm in the 20-25k range, is the 4-banger Highlander that much of a dog ???? I won't be hauling much... I live a sedate suburban lifestyle with the picket fence, soccer balls, etc....

brentl

Senior HTF Member
"I also drove the Pontiac Vibe " Cool car, my dad drives one but the plastic cladding is very easily scuffed and the seats are way to soft.

B

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks