What's new

Anyone know what the status of the Sherbourn Pre/Pro is? (1 Viewer)

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Has anyone spoken to Ron Fone lately? Wasn't it supposed to be released in April? I don't see anything on their website about it. I hope the delay is due to added features...

Bruce Cadotte

Stunt Coordinator
Since all it is is a Outlaw 950 put into a different box you might be waiting a while now because of the noise problem has stop production on the 950.

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
Dear Charles:

Hang on for about another 60 days (Mail dated 6/11/02) and we will have our new two zone pre/pro/tuner available. It will have just about every known feature along with all the latest processing. Its retail price will be $1500.00.

Thanks for your past business and for your continued interest in Sherbourn.

Best regards,

Ron Fone

Brian Corr

Supporting Actor
Last time I talked to Ron, he stated that they were making some changes to make their unit stand out from the Outlaw, better tuner, more filtering, etc.

granite_g

Agent
Update,
I talked to Ron today and he informed me that the pre/pro would be available in September. Ron also told me that he is going to test it thoroughly before bringing the pt-7000 to market. I agreed with him this was a smart move, as we all know with the 950 had its share of growing pains. Ron told me the problem with the 950 was a glitch with the analog, which caused a hiss. (Both the sherbourn and outlaw share the same platform) This problem has been corrected and this is why the pt-7000 is delayed ( as we speak they are sound testing the unit in LA) Ron also said that there were a couple small differences between the 950 and the pt-7000. The bandwidth is increased to 55hz and the tuner will have better reception. The faceplate will be glossy with smooth dials. (This is to match the amps) Sherbourn is also releasing the 7channel amp, which will have two power cords. This amp can be run on a 15amp circuit provided that the speakers are not drawing 4 ohms. Ron told me also that if the speakers were drawing this load you would need a dedicated 20-amp circuit.
For anybody interested in sherbourn, I am a sherbourn dealer in Las Vegas. I am taking orders for the pt-7000 pre/pro and the 7 channel 7/2100 200 watts into 8 ohms. My company is called Granite Audio & Video. Are e-mail is [email protected].

rich_h

Auditioning
Since my name has come up on the Outlaw wait list, I wanted to get some info on the Sherbourn version before I made my decision. Here are some email excerpts from Ron Fone:

============
Ours differs from the Outlaw unit in the following respects:

We calibrate the main, video and processing boards.

We use non-leakage capacitors.

We have a higher video transfer of 55 Mhz for HDTV and progressive scan DVD.

We use a solid aluminum volume control knob.

Our front panel cosmetic is a perfect match for our new 7 channel amplifier which has 7 mono blocks, 7 toroidal transformers. Our amplifier can pull over 20 amps given that its output with all channels driven is 2.1. Kw into
4 ohms
- we therefore provide 2 power cords.

We respect Outlaw's postion but do not see ourselves in competition with them. In their wisdom they elect to sell their product on a direct basis. We for our part are committed to the traditional (tried and trusted) way
of selling our product through franchised dealers. Yes, our product at $1500.00 (complete with cables and delivered for free by the dealer who will also set up the unit for you and who will be on hand should you need further assistance) willl likely cost you around $350.00 more than the Outlaw.

The choice is yours and only yours!!

Best regards and thanks for your interest in Sherbourn.

Ron Fone

======================

We are receiving the first production units by October 10th.

Regards,

Ron Fone

=======================

For those committed to buying the Outlaw, this info is probably of limited value, but I thought I'd pass it on.

Thanks.

Rich

Russell _T

Supporting Actor
Does anyone know if the Sherbourn will remember speaker settings for different surround modes? The Outlaw is global, and this issue still bugs me.

Harris_M

Auditioning
rich_h:

If I read your post correctly, Ron Fone is saying that the 950, complete with cables, will "...willl likely cost you around $350.00 more than the Outlaw."

If my math is correct, that means that he expects dealers such as Granite to immediately discount the unit to $899 (Outlaw price) plus $350 = $1,249.

Is the price $1,500, or $1,249?

Leo_P

Second Unit
This is my first time hearing about Sherbourn's pre/pro and it sounds like a winner. I'd like to learn more, do they have a website?
Any Sherbourn dealers in the NYC area?

rich_h

Auditioning
Luis, you may have a slightly different definition of 'street price' than I (and possibly Kevin). I think of it as the price at which a product is fairly readily available, not necessarily the absolute lowest possible price.

Using that definition, $1250 seems like a reasonable number since 1) Ron alluded to it in his email and 2) Granite Audio/Video quoted me that price in a previous email.

But certainly I hope to find one for less than that if I decide to purchase one.

Rich

Harris_M

Auditioning
rich_h and Granite:

I hate to pick on this, but there is a significant inconsistancy between what has been quoted from Ron Fone and what you two are saying:

from rich_h's message from Ron Fone:
"...We for our part are committed to the traditional (tried and trusted) way of selling our product through franchised dealers. Yes, our product at $1500.00 (complete with cables and delivered for free by the dealer who will also set up the unit for you and who will be on hand should you need further assistance) ..."

If that is the case, how can a dealer in Las Vegas (Granite) solicit business via e-mail by providing price quotes to a customer in Scottsdale (rich_h)? If Granite will deliver and install the unit for rich at no extra charge, as well as be on hand for further assistance, as quoted, then I would consider buying one from him. (I live about 5 to 6 hours away from Las Vegas.) But if not, I'm afraid that something doesn't add up and it seems that Sherbourne -- or at least their dealers -- are competing with Outlaw despite the statement in the previous post to the contrary. That's fine, but then the price differential doesn't compute.

Orin Dym

Stunt Coordinator
Add to this that we have a Sherbourn dealer here in town (Celestial Audio and Video--www.speakersetc.net) from which he can purchase the unit when it is available.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Same-o for the Pioneer DV-45a, for example. Just available this week. The list is $700. My local dealer wants $499. I've seen them on ebay for $435.
I *have* seen people who don't know any better pay the list price for something they could have gotten for 30% off, just by asking. But you gotta ask! :)

Bill Lucas

Supporting Actor
Kevin,

Pioneer has a list price and a MAP (minimum advertised price) price.

Frank,

MSRP is the price in custom installation. In retail, where the level of service is much lower discounts are more prevalent.

Harris,

If a customer (rich_h for example) has previously visited the store then he can be sold an item without coming into the store again. So, e-mail quotes are fine as long as he's been to the store previously *or* there is not a local dealer. I can't say for sure that this is Sherbourn's policy (I am a dealer, I'll just have to check the fine print) but it is typical of the traditional manufacturer/dealer relationship.

I would have to say that Ron's reply refers to local dealers. Let's be realistic. What dealer in his right mind would drive several hours or pay one of his guys labor rate to deliver a $1500 item? It's just not practical. ;-)

rich_h

Auditioning
I received the following email from Ron regarding this subject. It appears that I mis-interpreted his earlier note, and for that I apologize.

As I don't particularly enjoy this middle-man position, this will be my last post on this subject. If the Sherbourn unit interests you that's fine, and if not, that's fine too.

Thanks for understanding.

Rich

==================================
Dear Rich:

It seems that our recent exchange of letters has found its way onto one of the forums and has attracted some mixed opinions. In view of this I would like to clear up any misunderstanding about the pricing of our PT-7000 pre/pro/tuner.

Earlier in the day I had been reasoning with a consumer as to why I thought that our product would likely finish up at around $350.00/$450.00 more than Outlaw's 950 despite what we see as some added product differences. Regrettably I omitted the same justification to you in my letter.

As I understand it, the 950 costs $900.00 + freight ($50.00) + cables..a necessary purchase as none is included. Assuming Outlaw's customer buys a set of cables at say $100/$200.00 from local dealer, their total outlay
will be $900.00 + $50 + $100/$200.00 or $1050/$1150 which is $350/$450 less than our $1500.00. I maintain that our added features are worth every penny of the increment + our consumers have the services of our skilled dealer
network.

The inference that we want our dealers to sell our product at $350.00/$450.00 more than the basic 950 price of $899.00 is entirely erroneous. We value the pivotal role of our dealers. They are trained profesionals. They are skilled
in their craft and have a right to be rewarded for their endeavors. We in turn expect them to provide a high level of service and commitment to our customers and I for one hope very much that they will sell our product as close to the retail price of $1500.00 as is possible.

The combination of our cosmetically matched pre/pro/tuner AND our new 7 channel amplifier which outputs 200/300 watts into 8/4 ohms respectively (all channels driven) weighs (including carton) 115 pounds and includes 7 toroidals, 7 mono blocks and 2 power cords is a compelling one. The
amplifier will have a retail price retail price of $2850.00 and should be available in late October/early November.

Given the interest that the publication of my original letter to you aroused I would be grateful if you would similarly post this letter as my official rebuttal of the notion that our new PT-7000 will be sold at anything
less than its suggested retail price of $1500.00.

Thanking you in anticipation of your understanding and assistance.

Yours truly,

Sherbourn Technologies, Inc.
By:

Ron W. Fone
President

========================================

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks