What's new

Anyone know what the status of the Sherbourn Pre/Pro is? (1 Viewer)

Harris_M

Auditioning
"rich_h" has said it was his last post on the subject, and that is clearly his right. However, there are some major league issues in Rom Fone's statements. He seems to want to have his cake and eat it too, but in the real world you can't have it both ways:

Ron Fone:

"...cables..a necessary purchase as none is included..."

>>Why is it "necessary purchase"? Presumably, many purchasers of the 950 or PT-7000 are using it to replace something else, and thus do not need any cables. Building a price comparison based on the inclusion of cables is poor logic.

>> What kind of cables is he including with the PT-7000? Are they similar in quality to the cables Outlaw is selling, or to similar products from other respected independent cable brands? How many pairs cables are included and what length are they? Are the cables something that have a retail value of $100? $200? More?

>> Even if the cables ARE included, it's probably a safe bet that most likely PT-7000 customers will be advanced 'philes who have their own idea on which cables sound best, and they would have no need for those supplied with the PT-7000, presuming that they are of decent quality in the first place.

Ron Fone:

"...We in turn expect them to provide a high level of service and commitment to our customers and I for one hope very much that they will sell our product as close to the retail price of $1500.00 as is possible."

"...my official rebuttal of the notion that our new PT-7000 will be sold at anything less than its suggested retail price of $1500.00."

>> If that's the case, why is one of his dealers (Granite) offering it in this thread as quoted here: "...For anybody interested in sherbourn, I am a sherbourn dealer in Las Vegas. I am taking orders..."

Ron Fone:

"We for our part are committed to the traditional (tried and trusted) way of selling our product through franchised dealers. Yes, our product at $1500.00 (complete with cables and delivered for free by the dealer who will also set up the unit for you and who will be on hand should you need further assistance)..."

>> If that's the case, and I suspect this shoudl be directed not at Sherbourn, but at Granite, will you deliver it anywhere for free and also install it for free and also provide after-sales service via phone and the web for free? Please correct me if this is wrong.

If that isn't enough, there is a flaw in Mr. Fone's arithmetic: If the Outlaw costs $899 and let's add his $50 for shipping, that's $949. Let’s go all the way and add four pairs of Outlaw’s 1.2m interconnects for $159+$13 shipping. That’s a total of $1,076. If the Sherbourn costs $1,500 and you live in a state with 7% sales tax (yes, some are less, some are MORE), that’s another $105. Thus, the total price difference between a 950 delivered to your door vs. a PT-7000 OUT the door is $529, not "$350-$450" as detailed in both messages from Mr. Fone. AND will Sherbourn assure us that ALL purchases include free delivery and set-up? If not, the argument being posed falls apart.

It just doesn't add up -- both the math and the sales policy. Perhaps there is a disconnect between Sherbourn and their dealers over web/net sales. (I guess that’s legal, but it seems to violate the policies stated by Sherbourn’s President). If not, then it seems that Sherbourn is looking the other way and letter dealers move goods via the web on one hand, while it insists on the other that it is, in their words "..committed to the traditional (tried and trusted) way of selling our product through franchised dealers."

Don't get me wrong. The Sherbourn verison of the 950 is probably a great product that will appeal to people who choose to take issue with the industrial design of the Outlaw. Further, their amps are well known for quality and appear to be a good value. The problem here is inconsistancy and illogical math. It just seems like they are trying to awfully hard to make people think that a price differential of $601 (MSRP to MSRP) is half that with parlour tricks rather than fact.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I don't think Ron has been in any (high end or not) hi fi store in a while.

I personally wouldn't buy a piece of eqp if I had to pay list. I know it's a psychological thing, but I want to *feel* as if I'm getting a good deal.

Outlaw is different. You obviously get only one price, but because it is such a great deal...

And me? I already got cables...

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
You guys don't have to pay list? I live in Portland Or. and even though I've spent thousands between myself and the people I've helped buy systems for, they still charge me full list, and in some cases they ask more. I'll see something that they want more for than what I've seen listed in a magazine or on a maunfacturers' home page and they just say well that was that last series or pricing has changed.
I'm thinking how much do I have to spend to start getting a deal?
Oh yeah, has anybody seen this yet?
http://fosgateaudionics.com/products/FAP_T1.asp

kevitra

Second Unit
I get 10% off at my local Rotel/B&W dealer without asking. Some stores actually treat their customers well...

I'd take my business elsewhere if they don't give a little discount, epecially if you are spending a lot of money.

Russell _T

Supporting Actor
Does anyone have any idea how much the Fosgate will be going for? There is an ad for it in this months SGHT, but no price.

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
Here is what I got back from Fosgate re: their new "pre".
Notice the date of my e-mail. (bottom half)
Chris,
Literature is being printed as I'm writing this email. We should
receive it in about 2 weeks. The planned release date is late September
early October and it will retail for $2999.99
Contact me in a couple of weeks and I will get literature sent out.
Rockford/Hafler Technical Support
(480) 967-3565
www.rockfordfosgate.com
www.hafler.com
Rockford Corporation, a publicly-held company (NASDAQ:ROFO), is a
designer, manufacturer, and distributor of high-performance audio
systems for the mobile and professional audio markets.
>>> "Chris Heflen" 08/13/02 09:39PM >>>
Hi,
I saw your ad in Septembers issue of "Stereophile's Guide to Home
Theater" for your new A/V pre amp. I was wondering if you could give me
any info on it since your site here has none. Like a planned release
date and price.
It looks pretty wierd but kinda cool too. The features it has looks to be on par with everything in that price range.
Does anybody know anything about Parasounds Halo C-1 or C-3 (?)
other than what is on the CES site?

Bob Saylor

Stunt Coordinator
I wonder if the Sherbourn has a setting for speaker delay? I don't think the Outlaw does. I honestly don't know how necessary it is but it would be nice to have.

And how about bass management for DVD-Audio & SACD? The Outlaw has some bass management but recommends the ICBM for complete control. That's not all bad because you could make good use of the ICBM. But Sherbourn doesn't have an ICBM. Jeez! I feel like I'm talking about some kind of weapon.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks